Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Best Ladies' Spinner of the 80's and 90's

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan! blue dog's Avatar

Best Ladies' Spinner of the 80's and 90's

Whom would you consider to be the best spinner (for their time) during the 80's and 90's? I understand that spinning, like jumping, has come a long way. Some who were considered good spinners then may not be considered good spinners now.

I'll start:

Krieg
    Ruh

Although Biellmann had crazy positions, and at times, Baiul, did, too, I didn't think they had the speed and centering of these two. And I can't remember any woman from the 80's that had fast, centered spins.

Ruh's the best that I've seen. They were like so fast, you could barely even see her. I think she could have placed a little higher under CoP at Worlds because of the spins although she probably wouldn't have medalled still.

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    Ruh interview on her Guinness record for spinning:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hpmFcxDl1gg

and here's where Guinness recognizes the record 105 rotations (at the time)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g6a-f...eature=related

And here's Lucinda at World Pros
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJ_ou...feature=fvwrel

she takes the audience on her journey of emotions Layfan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dorispulaski View Post
    Ruh interview on her Guinness record for spinning:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hpmFcxDl1gg

and here's where Guinness recognizes the record 105 rotations (at the time)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g6a-f...eature=related

And here's Lucinda at World Pros
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJ_ou...feature=fvwrel
    Wow!! And I thought Alissa's spins were amazing. Spins may have come a long way but today's ladies having nothing on Lucinda. That was lovely, thanks for sharing Doris!

Custom Title
    Lucinda is the greatest spinner in the history of figure skating hands down. There is no contest. In fact, Lucinda spun so fast she fractured her spine and could no longer skate competitively. Now she skates professionally and coaches some younger skaters on spinning technique.

take off the oven mitts
    are you willing to count those who were amateurs in the 70's but skated in the cheesefests of the 90's? to me of the older generation (older defined as anybody before kadavy/trenary) dorothy hamill had the best of everything. dorothy's spins had great centering and position--not so much position variations or contortions, if you like those things. of course dorothy didn't spin like ruh but she had great posture, great flow, choreography that was not too busy with the flailing arms. i also liked the beautiful spin positions of caryn kadavy (minus that iffy donut spin), but her spins weren't even as fast as dorothy's, much less ruh's.

i remember liking debi thomas' spins and overall skating very much as well.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by blue dog View Post
    Although Biellmann had crazy positions, and at times, Baiul, did, too, I didn't think they had the speed and centering of these two. And I can't remember any woman from the 80's that had fast, centered spins.
    No way could Baiul be put anywhere near the "best ladies' spinner" category. She had a pretty nice variations in her camel spins (a decent donut, and catchfoot, if I recall correctly) but frankly she recycled the same positions ad nauseum, showing a distinct lack of variation in her spins. Her positions in her death drop and sit spin were frankly mediocre and to be honest, I don't think she's ever displayed sufficient "sit" in her sit spins or even a layback that was properly in position.

Rooting for the divas with Kwanford Spun Silver's Avatar
    I'm with jatale. No offense to the OP but this thread is pointless! It should have been a Lucinda Ruh thread.

She was a beautiful, gracious skater, too, not just a spinning technician - that World Pros program that Doris posted is exquisite. She will always be remembered by skating fans.

I always thought that Krieg was the faster spinner (my personal favorite) though Ruh had the more interesting positions and was able to showcase her abilities better.

Isn't this more like it belongs in The Voting Booth?

Rejoicing in the land of Kwan kwanatic's Avatar
    My two are Ruh and Krieg. I think Oksana's donut spin became somewhat signature for her and she had nice spins, but she's not in the same category with Ruh and Krieg.

Ruh was freaking amazing! I really like Krieg though, especially this spin. I'd love to see a skater use this spin today. I think Mirai would be a good candidate to do this because she has amazing flexibility in her back which is what this spin requires.

This spin is awesome too.

she takes the audience on her journey of emotions Layfan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanatic View Post
    My two are Ruh and Krieg. I think Oksana's donut spin became somewhat signature for her and she had nice spins, but she's not in the same category with Ruh and Krieg.

Ruh was freaking amazing! I really like Krieg though, especially this spin. I'd love to see a skater use this spin today. I think Mirai would be a good candidate to do this because she has amazing flexibility in her back which is what this spin requires.

This spin is awesome too.
    Ouch!! Some of the little Russian ladies could certainly manage those two positions. But I haven't paid attention to whether they are good spinners in terms of speed and centering.

Custom Title
    I remember sitting in the stands for practice at the Oakland 1992 Worlds. I had not seen Krieg nor was I aware of her. When her group came out on the ice, the first move she did was a "simple" scratch spin. It went on and on for easily 10-15 seconds - an eternity for a scratch spin - then she stuck her pick down and stopped on a dime. Amazing. I have always wanted to see that spin again - from her or from anyone. It's not just a matter of the new scoring system. It has always been rare to find someone who can really do a scratch spin.

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    Here's a really nice Dorothy Hamill spin, ending in a nice scratch spin

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l2VuosSk9zU

Another great spinner from the past was Kay Thomson from Canada, shown here in 1984 Olympics
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kicxveFJDt0

Trust Dick Button to give a shout out to a good spinner!

and her world's LP
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ziurM...eature=related

Banned
    I always prefered Kreig as a spinner to Ruh. She had many more positions in her spins I thought, and I liked every other aspect atleast as much.

Anyway after the obvious 3 best of Kreig, Ruh, and Denise Biellmann I would say:

80s- Elizabeth Manley had great spins, probably the best of all the top skaters of the 84-88 period. Kay Thomson had outstanding spins, probably even better than Manley, and the best of the 80s after Biellmann. Tiffany Chin had some excellent spins. Elaine Zayak by 84 had developed into a very good spinner. Debi Thomas had very strong spins as well. A young Midori Ito also had very good spins, better than when she got older. Kadavy was a better spinner as a pro than as an amateur.

90s- Irina Slutskaya was a very strong spinner, probably the best of the top skaters (Ruh was never a top amateur skater) of the Kwan-Lipinski generation. Yamaguchi was quite a good spinner. Harding had very good spins as well. Kwan, Lipinski, Butyrskaya, Gusmeroli were all decent. Nikidinov had a beautiful layback and was quite a strong spinner. Kwiatkowski had strong spins. Bonaly was considered a strong spinner in her prime.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast