Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Adam Rippon will be going to Dungjen and Detroit

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonichelle View Post
    adam needs to pick a coach and stay there. He's chasing the latest greatest coaches expecting magic... Morosov was no longer the king of coaches, so he goes to Orser... that didn't work and oh! look! Yuka and Jason are the hot item now let's go to them.
    Sure, it may look that way to you, but only Adam knows what he needs from a coach and he's the one who has to deal with the consequences of his coaching change decisions.

Jeremy Abbott (@jeremyabbottpcf) tweeted yesterday:
    Now that the cats out of the bag I'd like to extend a warm welcome to @Adaripp [Adam Rippon] I'm really excited to be training together!
    Here's the link to Universal Sports' Skype interview with Rippon about his coaching change and summer plans. Excerpt from the interview:
    My long program with Pasquale [Camerlengo] - I LOVED working with him - it's kind of a classical program. With Shae Lynn [Bourne] it's a folk number ... I love working with her, she's incredible, she's probably one of the best skaters that ever skated.

Like subtlety in ice dancing Serious Business's Avatar
    I seriously doubt Adam is just rapidly changing coaches based on trends. It costs lots of money, resources and sanity to move from place to place and acclimating to new coaching teams and rinks. I doubt he made any of these decisions lightly.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Serious Business View Post
    I seriously doubt Adam is just rapidly changing coaches based on trends. It costs lots of money, resources and sanity to move from place to place and acclimating to new coaching teams and rinks. I doubt he made any of these decisions lightly.
    ITA. And could could plainly see that there was definitely some SERIOUS tension between him and Brian ever since Skate Canada, it was pretty obvious that something was off/had gone sour, and once that happens, it's hard to stick around, even if you're technically being coached by someone else (case in point - Yuna, she stayed in Toronto for a while after ending things with Brian, but it didn't last long).

Great news. I think that Adam will blossom this season. I always believed that his nerves got the best of him
    in competition and being coached by Jason will definitely help him with that aspect of his skating because
    as far as talent goes this young man has oodles of it. Wishing him the best in his new environment.

Custom Title
    For me Adam just doesn't have big enough jumps to really make a mark at least internationally.

Quote Originally Posted by Jammers View Post
    For me Adam just doesn't have big enough jumps to really make a mark at least internationally.
    I agree. A male skater with neither a quad nor triple axel won't get far in this new post-Lyzacek era. It's funny if you think about it: the long-term impact of Lyzacek's win is to make quads the end-all be-all of men's skating perhaps even more so than in the 6.0 era.

Adam needs to get that quad lutz consistent and get a handle on the 3axel ASAP, if he wants a chance at a World medal.

Beliver in Sasha's Perfect Program Tinymavy15's Avatar
    Adam really needs to step up his game major this upcoming season. If not, he will have become just another Caroline Zhang or Kimmie Meissner, early promise, but never capitalizing on his talent.

Rooting for the divas with Kwanford Spun Silver's Avatar
    Not sure it makes sense to put Caroline and Kimmie in the same bracket. Kimmie couldn't stay at the top but she made it there for a brief moment.

Custom Title
    Seriously. Right now Meissner has three top ten finishes at Worlds, including a title and a fourth place finish.

Rooting for the divas with Kwanford Spun Silver's Avatar
    Not to mention her US nationals title and her very impressive 6th place finish at the Olympics, aged 16. She has a lot to be proud of.

Caroline Zhang and Kimmie Meissner both followed a similar pattern of peaking and reaching the top for a very brief moment then falling quickly into oblivion. But Zhang did it in her junior years while Meissner did it in her senior years, so the big difference is in the accomplishments and medals.

Adam Rippon's career trajectory is starting to resemble Caroline Zhang's, and that's very disturbing. Like Zhang, he's had a phenomenal undefeated year as a World Junior champ, but his transition to the senior ranks has been rocky. He's shown better potential, though. At least he made it to Worlds and also won a Four Continents title.

Beliver in Sasha's Perfect Program Tinymavy15's Avatar
    Maybe Bebe Liang would be a better comparison. Lovely skater, but just never lived up to the promise she showed as a teen.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinymavy15 View Post
    Adam really needs to step up his game major this upcoming season. If not, he will have become just another Caroline Zhang or Kimmie Meissner, early promise, but never capitalizing on his talent.
    Well, to be fair, I think puberty was the main reason behind the downfalls of Kimmie and Caroline, and I don't think it has anything to do with why Rippon has been struggling as of late. He hasn't had major body changes recently and sure, he might not have the right build to be a power jumper, but he has other strengths so that if he can just land the big jumps he has a shot to be competitive on the World stage. To me, Rippon's issues seem to be mainly due to: 1.) nerves 2.) not particularly great jump technique/small jumps. In this sense, he's more like Alissa, which makes me more hopeful. Sure, Alissa didn't dominate this season and her smallish jumps and limited tech content continue to hold her back, but this season she showed that when she can just land the jumps and perform to the best of her ability, she's in the top echelon of ladies skaters in the world. This season was probably her best shot to medal at Worlds and she didn't manage that, but she still triumphed. I'd like to see Adam have a similar type of turnaround, even if he never manages to medal at Worlds as it looks like Alissa never will.

Custom Title
    Seems to me to be a combination of his head and the jumps. If one is tended to (head) then I'm optimistic the other (jumps) can follow. Yuka and Jason seem to be the new go-to "Whisperers"

Rinkside
    Adam has been through ups and downs in his career before. Am glad he is doing what he thinks will put him on a stronger path. It seemed like he got a lot of energy and inspiration from training alongside Yuna (who wouldn't?!). Hopefully there will be a similarly positive environment for him at his new training home.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast