U.S. Figure Skating reprimands, fines Rachael Flatt | Page 2 | Golden Skate

U.S. Figure Skating reprimands, fines Rachael Flatt

I'm not particularly a fan of Rachael's skating (though I admire her as a person), so I'm not biased in her favor in this situation. It just bothers me to think that a teenaged skater should be fined for something like this, when her entire training regimen has probably geared her to skate through any pain. I remember once when I was in college, and I felt rather sick--sore throat and fever. I decided I had to get home that weekend. (I just wanted to crawl into my own bed.) Of course I turned out to be a lot sicker than I thought i was, and I had taken myself and my illness onto a public bus. The combination of being young and sick or hurt can rob someone of any ability to reason something like this out. In a case like this, surely her coach should bear some responsibility for her actions.

Maybe I just don't understand skating very well.

callalily

On the Ice
I wonder if this is one of those rules that is only enforced when complaints occur. And since Hersh pressed and went to Carroll for comment, it had to be handled by the book, resulting in a public reprimand for Rachael, even though her coach was likely far more responsible.

Skaters compete with injuries all the time. How often are official notifications given to USFS, does anyone know?

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
I was aware of Bradley's injury before Worlds last year (at least a week before), so I presume that he notified the federation as well. He definitely talked about it on Twitter/Facebook etc. Was there even another alternate at that point?

I'll be more annoyed if Tom Z gets away with this without a formal comment from the US federation, though.

janetfan

Match Penalty
I was aware of Bradley's injury before Worlds last year (at least a week before), so I presume that he notified the federation as well. He definitely talked about it on Twitter/Facebook etc. Was there even another alternate at that point?

I'll be more annoyed if Tom Z gets away with this without a formal comment from the US federation, though.

The comparison to Ryan was not just a poor one but totally offbase. Ryan's injury was not a secret and he was only at Worlds because Evan pulled out. Johnny also pulled out so USA was already sending not just Ryan but also Adam to fill the places of Evan and Johnny.

Ryan's injury was well known and NOT KEPT SECRET. Flatt only admitted her injury after she bombed.

Hardly the same thing.

janetfan

Match Penalty
I'm not arguing it's the same thing. I'm pointing out how it's different, using my own recollections.

I know and I as agreeing with you. Bradley's injury was well documented.
He did not keep it a secret and only reveal it after a disappointing performance.

Perhaps if Rachal had kept her mouth shut but she couldn't wait to blurt out that she had tried and failed to compete well with a broken leg. :disapp:

I agree somewhat with Olympia's remarks and see this as Tom Z's blunder and feel that he deserves the blame more so than Rachael.

If Rachael was fined then I would not be surprised if Tom Z is also punished by US Skating.

Maybe Agnes left TomZ for reasons other than what she recently discussed.

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
I am pretty sure that skaters that participate in Worlds sign some kind of Team USA Agreement. I think Rachael's fine and reprimand was based on her breach of that agreement and nothing to do with the USFS Rule Book. I would assume that there is certain criteria and procedure in that agreement regarding injuries and after an investigation the USFS ruled that Rachael was in fact in violation.

Philk Hersh said:
In response to my latest question about the situation, I received an email today from the federation...

:) Doin' his job.

I love it! As far as anyone can discover, in the 90-year history of the United States Figure Skating Association, this is the first time ever that a skater has been fined. (Evidently the fine will be taken out of the envelope funding money that they were going to give her next year.)

Christopher Bowman was never fined, for all his transgressions against the sport.

Last edited:

seniorita

Record Breaker
hey, a new layout when you try to reply!:cool::biggrin::)
to find a reason for my post, what is the last name of Mr Tom Z, nobody writes it full.

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Chris Bowman is dead now, no need to speak ill of the dead even if it is true. Just saying....

Tom Zakrajsek. Nobody knows exactly how to spell it or pronounce it. :)

Yeah, we just went through an up-grade. Paula (board owner), always on call to give us the very latest in vBoard technology. :clap:

When the board went down a few minutes ago I thought it was overload from all the thousands of people who wanted to jump in to support Rachael. :cool:

Chris Bowman is dead now, no need to speak ill of the dead even if it is true. Just saying....

I apologize to Bowman's family and friends. My post wasn't intended to chide the dead, but to point out the ever-interesting foibles of the living.

Last edited:

FlattFan

Match Penalty
I know and I as agreeing with you. Bradley's injury was well documented.
He did not keep it a secret and only reveal it after a disappointing performance.

Perhaps if Rachal had kept her mouth shut but she couldn't wait to blurt out that she had tried and failed to compete well with a broken leg. :disapp:

Hernando said:
The comparison to Ryan was not just a poor one but totally offbase. Ryan's injury was not a secret and he was only at Worlds because Evan pulled out. Johnny also pulled out so USA was already sending not just Ryan but also Adam to fill the places of Evan and Johnny.

Ryan's injury was not a secret and US Skating knew about it.

Krislite said:
Isn't the reprimand for the failure to report the injury and not competing with the injury itself?

Did the US Skating know about this? Did Ryan file a formal report he was injured?
People speak in hyperbole all the time. Ryan could be saying, "Craps, my legs are taking a break in the Bahamas. I'm just happy to be here" That would be the same as Rachael's situation this year. The comparison is right on.
Should Grant Hochstein's coach file a complain last year because he didn't get to go. No one told him he should get ready?

janetfan

Match Penalty
Tom Zakrajsek. Nobody knows exactly how to spell it or pronounce it. :)

Yeah, we just went through an up-grade. Paula (board owner), always on call to give us the very latest in vBoard technology. :clap:

When the board went down a few minutes ago I thought it was overload from all the thousands of people who wanted to jump in to support Rachael. :cool:

I apologize to Bowman's family and friends. My post wasn't intended to chide the dead, but to point out the ever-interesting foibles of the living.

With all of his flaws Chris will aways be remembered as a far better skater than Flatt and it has nothing to do with his coaches.

For the record, as stated a while ago Frank IMO was 100% correct to speak out the way he did.

Skating is about more than your favorite living a fairytale life.

Actions matter and bad choices have consequences. Skating for USA or any other federation carries a repsonsiblity and shame on those who think theri favorite is above he rules and the good of the federation.

Last edited:

seniorita

Record Breaker
^The posts come out the way one has decided to read them.

Yes it is awesome. :biggrin: Just a question, this > x[SUB]2[/SUB] - x[SUP]2[/SUP]buttons is your input for some kind of virtual class?:unsure::laugh:

Last edited:

Sylvia

Record Breaker
Did the US Skating know about this? Did Ryan file a formal report he was injured?
People speak in hyperbole all the time. Ryan could be saying, "Craps, my legs are taking a break in the Bahamas. I'm just happy to be here" That would be the same as Rachael's situation this year. The comparison is right on.
No, it's not the same because Bradley was monitored by USFS before 2010 Worlds. Here's a relevant article excerpt (I can't post the IN link here):
Broken foot and all, Bradley determined to compete
Skater will participate in worlds despite foot injury

By Amy Rosewater

(03/18/2010) - Ryan Bradley wasn't going to let anything prevent him from competing at the 2010 World Championships.
Not even a broken bone in his foot was going to get in the way.

Bradley just missed a shot at competing in the Olympic Winter Games in Vancouver after placing fourth at the U.S. Championships but had his spirits lifted when he was named to the world team last month. Unfortunately, he subsequently went to a dance class and broke the fifth metatarsal in his left foot.

The injury could have been yet another setback for the veteran skater who thought he had seen it all, but instead, Bradley figured out a way to tape up his foot and get back to landing quads. And he will be heading to Torino for a shot at redemption at the world championships, which begin Monday.

"Man, this has been a roller coaster,'' Bradley said in telephone interview Monday, just a few days after U.S. skating officials monitored his skating practices in Colorado Springs, Colo., and gave him clearance to compete.

Should Grant Hochstein's coach file a complain last year because he didn't get to go. No one told him he should get ready?
Brandon Mroz, coached by Zakrajsek, was the third and final 2010 Worlds alternate (Mroz was 6th to Hochstein's 7th at 2010 Nationals).

Yes it is awesome. :biggrin: Just a question, this > x[SUB]2[/SUB] - x[SUP]2[/SUP]buttons is your input for some kind of virtual class?:unsure::laugh:

That's so I can write my favorite formula E = MK[SUP]2[/SUP].

Now I can calculate the total amount of energy that could be extracted from the local curvature of space due to the gravitational field of the earth: E = 6x10[SUP]24[/SUP]x(3x10[SUP]8[/SUP])[SUP]2[/SUP] = 5.4x10[SUP]41[/SUP]joules, where 3x10[SUP]8[/SUP] meters per second is the speed of Michelle.

(The new upgrade still doesn't solve my biggest problem, though, which is, that I have to keep changing my browser settings back and forth when I post and if I mess up I accidentlally "rate" the thread I am posting to. All these threads that have five stars attached to them for no apparent reason -- that's me messing up. Sorry. :eek:hwell:

Last edited:

seniorita

Record Breaker
3x10[SUP]8[/SUP] m/sec is the speed of Michelle
:laugh:
This is not Michelle Kwan, this is Michelle The Light Speedy Gonzales :) If she was that fast how many million seconds after you would hear her blade?:p

janetfan

Match Penalty
:) Doin' his job.

I love it! As far as anyone can discover, in the 90-year history of the United States Figure Skating Association, this is the first time ever that a skater has been fined. (Evidently the fine will be taken out of the envelope funding money that they were going to give her next year.)

Your words speak volumes here.

Why do you think Flatt was fined and what do you think US Skating will do about Tom Z?

There was never a reason to fine Kwan for choking so badly in SLC nor was there a reason to fine Mirai for dropping from 1st to seventh at 2010 wORLDS.

US Skating decided there was a reason to fine Flatt for her actions and Hersh hinted that Tom Z will also be punished for his less than ethical behavior.

Just what part of this has you puzzled? It really doesn't seem very complicated to me.

A skater for Team USA with a major injury intentionally deceived the US federation and did not report a serious injury. Her coach was well aware of the injury and also failed to report it or alert the alternate. :disagree:

The US federation is pissed. Why do you think this is, as you incorrectly stated in the past is a non-issue :think:

Maybe it gets back to the published mission statement of the Intl Committee and NOT what you claim is the goal of US Skating.

Quite a difference, no?

Last edited:

FlattFan

Match Penalty
No, it's not the same because Bradley was monitored by USFS before 2010 Worlds. Here's a relevant article excerpt (I can't post the IN link here):

Brandon Mroz, coached by Zakrajsek, was the third and final 2010 Worlds alternate (Mroz was 6th to Hochstein's 7th at 2010 Nationals).

So if the USFS monitored Rachael before 2011 Worlds, she would still get to go like Ryan did?
She then placed 18th at Worlds and all is fine?

In that case, why did a certain famous coach foam his mouth? :think:

Even if Rachael could barely walk, she doesn't have to give up her spot to anyone. Some sad old queens like drama and sour grape. Probably woke up early to read this article gleefully and strangely felt alive.