Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 29

Thread: Combination jumps (ladies)

  1. #1
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    France
    Posts
    162

    Combination jumps (ladies)

    I wonder which lady that has attempted (not necessary ratified) the most different jump combinations throughout their careers?

    I will start off with Michelle Kwan

    2A/2T
    3T/2T
    3T/2L
    3T/3T
    3F/2T/2L
    3Z/2T
    3Z/2L
    3Z/3L
    3L half loop 2T
    3S/2T

    I apologise if I missed out on any or got any of the above ones wrong..

    Total: 10

    What about Shizuka,Irina,Mao and the others?

  2. #2
    Trixie Schuba's biggest fan! blue dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    2,079
    Quote Originally Posted by kalle View Post
    I wonder which lady that has attempted (not necessary ratified) the most different jump combinations throughout their careers?

    I will start off with Michelle Kwan

    2A/2T
    3T/2T
    3T/2L
    3T/3T
    3F/2T/2L
    3Z/2T
    3Z/2L
    3Z/3L
    3L half loop 2T
    3S/2T

    I apologise if I missed out on any or got any of the above ones wrong..

    Total: 10

    What about Shizuka,Irina,Mao and the others?
    At one time, Kwan was rumoured to have landed 3R/3R as well.

  3. #3
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    2,701
    When was this?
    3Z/3L

    Another one that a commentator said was 3Sal-3R in practice.

  4. #4
    Trixie Schuba's biggest fan! blue dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    2,079
    Quote Originally Posted by FlattFan View Post
    When was this?
    3Z/3L

    Another one that a commentator said was 3Sal-3R in practice.
    http://youtu.be/ho3aUKYMc_g

  5. #5
    Six Point Zero Krislite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Yunaverse
    Posts
    1,535
    Best to restrict yourself to certain combos--all combos is too comprehensive. No one can be sure without some near encyclopedic memory.

    What counts as "attempts" anyway? Do popped combos count? Doubled? Falls? Or just Under-rotated?

  6. #6
    Six Point Zero Krislite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Yunaverse
    Posts
    1,535
    Here are Yuna's ratified combos:

    2A+3T
    2A+3T+2T
    3T+3T
    3F+3T
    3Lz+3T

    2A+2T
    2A+2T+2L
    3T+2T
    3S+2T
    3F+2T
    3Lz+2T
    3Lz+2T+2L

    TOTAL: 12

    That's the most I can recall off the top of my head.

  7. #7
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Texas, United States
    Posts
    4,951
    When did Yuna do 2a-3t-2t in competition? I'd really like to see that!

  8. #8
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    2,701
    Midori Ito is unmatched.

    2A-2T
    2A-3T
    2A-3Sal
    2T-3T
    2R-3R
    2L-3T
    3T-2T
    3F-2T
    3T-3T
    3L-3T
    3A-2T
    3A-3T

  9. #9
    Six Point Zero Krislite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Yunaverse
    Posts
    1,535
    Quote Originally Posted by silverlake22 View Post
    When did Yuna do 2a-3t-2t in competition? I'd really like to see that!
    She did it in the 2006 Korean Nationals: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YA87sgaG9L8

    She also practiced it numerous times in her senior years as a back-up. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1LQW9XEdik0

  10. #10
    Six Point Zero Krislite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Yunaverse
    Posts
    1,535
    Quote Originally Posted by FlattFan View Post
    Midori Ito is unmatched.

    2A-2T
    2A-3T
    2A-3Sal
    2T-3T
    2R-3R
    2L-3T
    3T-2T
    3F-2T
    3T-3T
    3L-3T
    3A-2T
    3A-3T
    I agree Midori Ito is unmatched in jumping ability. But your list is still a total of 12 combos, including a 3A+3T done in warm-up.

    Be careful with counting practices--Ito could be beat by Kostner with that criteria. Also, there's no way to verify practiced combos since we don't have a record of every practice session ever done.

  11. #11
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    9,449
    I know that Arakawa has done a wonderful variety of different triple-triple combos. There's a great tape on YouTube showing them.

    This is a great thread!

  12. #12
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    2,701
    Quote Originally Posted by Krislite View Post
    I agree Midori Ito is unmatched in jumping ability. But your list is still a total of 12 combos, including a 3A+3T done in warm-up.

    Be careful with counting practices--Ito could be beat by Kostner with that criteria. Also, there's no way to verify practiced combos since we don't have a record of every practice session ever done.
    Only the 3A+3T was not in an actual competition.
    There was no 3 jumps combination. You should compare apple to apple. How many other girls does 11 different 2jumps combo?

  13. #13
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    626
    Quote Originally Posted by FlattFan View Post
    There was no 3 jumps combination.
    how did 3 jumps combo start?

  14. #14
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Texas, United States
    Posts
    4,951
    Quote Originally Posted by Krislite View Post
    She did it in the 2006 Korean Nationals: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YA87sgaG9L8

    She also practiced it numerous times in her senior years as a back-up. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1LQW9XEdik0
    Thanks! That's a great looking combo for her! Also nice seeing her do a lovely triple loop in that clip .

  15. #15
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    3,753
    Quote Originally Posted by bibi24 View Post
    how did 3 jumps combo start?
    It's been pretty common for a long time at lower levels where skaters are only doing double or single jumps, but it was rare when triples were included.

    In the late 90s/early 2000s some skaters (I'm mainly thinking of Russian ones offhand) started quad-triple-double combinations (starting with Plushenko, who was trying to work his way up to quad-triple-triple, and followed by a few other men) or triple-triple-double (Slutskaya tried a few times, notably 2001 Worlds, and I recall Sokolova trying once).

    So when the new judging system was being devised ca. 2002-2003 and the designers were defining the limits of how many and what kind of jump elements skaters could include in long programs, they decided to allow one three-jump combination. Because it's allowed, and gives an opportunity to include one more jump and earn a few extra points, more skaters have been including them since the new system went into effect.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •