Canadian Summer Competitions, 2011, General | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Canadian Summer Competitions, 2011, General

colleen o'neill

Medalist
:biggrin::biggrin: I just found out that Thornhill will be covered on skatebuzz.. which should mean no geoblocking for those far away...

geoskate

On the Ice
Almost complete results have been posted for the Wild Rose competition in Alberta. The link is here.

Unfortunately the one competition that was really of interest to me is not yet posted (senior pairs).

Based on the protocols for Natasha Purich and Raymond Schultz in singles, however, their jumps have clearly improved from last year. Natasha skated in the junior women's competition, and in the short program landed 3S-2T and 2A, with a fall on an apparently rotated 3Lz. In the long program she landed 2A-2T, 3T-2T, 3S, 3S (didn't add the combination), 2A, 3T, and fell on an apparently rotated 3Loop. It seems she's solidly got the jumps she needs for pairs.

Raymond competed in senior men. In the short program he landed 3T-2T and 2A, with a -3 GOE on a partly under-rotated 3Lz. The long program protocols don't load properly, but he had a long program score of 85 points. That's a step up from his long program scores from last season of 69 points at sectionals and 78 points at Challenge, so the jumps must be improving.

ETA: It looks like the senior women's results haven't been posted yet either. Among those listed in the flight were Dallas Daniel (8th at Canadians) and Kaetlyn Osmond (JGP competitor from last year and 6th in juniors at Canadians).

Last edited:

nadster

Final Flight
Almost complete results have been posted for the Wild Rose competition in Alberta. The link is here..

Based on the protocols for Natasha Purich and Raymond Schultz in singles, however, their jumps have clearly improved from last year. Natasha skated in the junior women's competition, and in the short program landed 3S-2T and 2A, with a fall on an apparently rotated 3Lz. In the long program she landed 2A-2T, 3T-2T, 3S, 3S (didn't add the combination), 2A, 3T, and fell on an apparently rotated 3Loop. It seems she's solidly got the jumps she needs for pairs.

Purich has definitely put herself in line for a JGP should Najarro and/or Charbonneau falter in their first assignments ( I think it is reasonably safe to assume they'll get the first 2 ladies spots ). She scored 43.84 in the short and 82.64 in the long for a total of 126.48 ( well above SC's summer standard of 115 ). I like that she is going for the big jumps (not often done among our junior ladies ). One thing that might prevent Purich from getting a JGP is that Canada has only 4 ladies JGP slots but she has shown already she definitely deserves one.

Hopefully Skate Canada picks the right lady for JW so that we can at least get more slots next year.

L'amour

On the Ice
I felt like Jessica was skating with Brice. Same kind of program and moves they had, even the lift at the end of the program....I was hoping to see something juts a lil different from them.

babayaga

On the Ice
I felt like Jessica was skating with Brice. Same kind of program and moves they had, even the lift at the end of the program....I was hoping to see something juts a lil different from them.

I liked how they fell on SBS jumps in perfect unison :biggrin:

T

Taffy

I thought Annie Barabe said they would be intentional about Jessica-Sebastien looking different and going in another direction style-wise?

colleen o'neill

Medalist
:) I didn't think D/W looked much like D/D , certainly the aura of gloom and doom that surrounded D/D for the last couple of years was gone. They make a good looking couple on the ice and both programs had a nice mature look to them , but weren't particularly attention grabbing , which is OK with me... first they have to concentrate on getting used to each other and bringing him up a level. So I don't think we'll be able to really see 'til next season whether they'll be able to mount much of a challenge. ( We'll probably see improvement by Canadians, though )

I didn't see everything , because I was flipping back and forth between the Quebec and Thornhill competitions, but both D/R and MT/M have really , really standout SP's, and MT/M's FP is sophisticated , musically and choreographically, and I thought showed great potential. ( Don't know what L/S are doing this year , but if they get away from kitschy, sort of generic-ice-dance programs , they could be right up there, too )

ETA: Apart from the Canadian competitors , T/T's SP is exquisite. Just spell-binding. And I liked James & Cipres program as well. I hope they decide to stay with Gauthier , he's a real master at bringing teams where the partners are at different levels into unison and making the sum more than equal to the parts.

Last edited:

colleen o'neill

Medalist
Yes , it was an excellent debut for Nam..but strangely unexciting for me. I have an aversion to the " Macleod brand " ...tacky costumes , etc., etc. I hope someone finds a way to help Nam rise above it much sooner than was done for Kevin Reynolds.:) I'm crossing my fingers that that will happen for him by the time he can compete internationally.

On another note..although he had a rough time of it, technically speaking , I found myself warming to Andrei Rogozine as I haven't been able to before. I missed most of the SP's ( I was checking out Quebec to see how Elladj would do ) But I really like Andrei's FP. I thought ,last year, that his timing was OK, but he didn't seem particularly musical ..but this program marks a breakthrough in that dept. for me . I'd be curious to know who did his choreography..it's very nice and I'm really looking forward to seeing it in competition when he has his feet under him a bit better.

:biggrin: ( and besides, you really had to feel for the guy when he came off the ice and sort of flopped down onto the staircase , as his coaches leaned over to talk to him..,but all you could see of him was when one hand reached up and clutched the railing. ) I feel I've had a conversion..

skatingbc

Final Flight
Don't forget to tune into SkateBuzz tonight! JR and SR Dance at BC Summerskate on tonight starting at 7:50 PT! I know its late for those on the East Coast but there is some significant talent on display this year with some couples scheduled for the upcoming JGP circuit.

colleen o'neill

Medalist
Thanks, csparkles. That's a very nice program for Andrei.

I'd also like to add my voice to reminding everyone about the BC summer Skate dance competition tonight. It's a small field, but a good one. 3 novice couples , followed by 5 promising junior couples ( including Orford / Williams ) and 2 senior couples , Harvey / Gagnon and Van As / Shindle.

So , even in the east , you could watch and still be in bed before you turn into a pumpkin.

Last edited:

geoskate

On the Ice
It looks like Orford/Williams weren't registered for the free dance; at least they didn't skate it. The novice teams from last year (Dalmer/Firus, Edwards/Pang and Bruser/Lum) are all much improved from last year, and they were already good last year. They've made a good transition into junior.

colleen o'neill

Medalist
I was sorry not to see O/W's FD , but I really liked their SD.

I agree the others are really coming along nicely, and I'm feeling a sort of extra spark of presence from Edwards / Pang.