Canadian Summer Competitions, 2011, General | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Canadian Summer Competitions, 2011, General

thumbyskates

Rinkside
Results for Autumn Skate in Ottawa are up. Click on the live links after 'segment' for the segment results, and 'category' for overall results.

It looks like no protocols have been posted, unless they are there and I'm not seeing them.

Protocols are randomly listed under the "short/free" portions where it says Officials - instead it should say protocols.

Looks like Kevin landed:
4S <<
2T (Guessing intended quad)
3A
4Lo < (!!!!!! - The year of quads!).
3F/3T/2Lo
2A
3Lz
3S (quad?)

1F (no points)
2 invalid elements?

He also managed some +2s on a ChSt - which I feel is an improvement.

Wonder who will be the first skater to land a quad outside of toe/sal this season?

Scout

Final Flight
Kevin got credit for 13 elements (the usual number of elements in the free), so it doesn't seem like he lost ground by having a required element discounted. The 1F looks like an extra jump, and was therefore invalidated.

By looking at the protocols, Kevin left some easy points on the table by leaving out some combinations. He even missed his combination in the short. He did not successfully land a quad, out of a total of 4 (assumed) tries. His PCS were actually about 5 points higher than his TES.

thumbyskates

Rinkside
Kevin got credit for 13 elements (the usual number of elements in the free), so it doesn't seem like he lost ground by having a required element discounted. The 1F looks like an extra jump, and was therefore invalidated.

By looking at the protocols, Kevin left some easy points on the table by leaving out some combinations. He even missed his combination in the short. He did not successfully land a quad, out of a total of 4 (assumed) tries. His PCS were actually about 5 points higher than his TES.

Agreed - except he tried to extra elements that were not credited by the way the report card is laid out; however, sometimes that is a technical glitch.

And funny that his PCS are higher than technical - that might be a first for him :D

skatingfan04

Final Flight
Any info, reports or results from the Isabelle Henderson Memorial? It's taking place this weekend in Paris, Ontario.

geoskate

On the Ice
Entries for two competitions in the west have been posted.

SaskSkate takes place October 7-9 in Saskatoon. Entries are here.

The Autumn Leaves competition takes place in Kamloops, BC October 14-16. Entries are here.

geoskate

On the Ice
And finally, entries for Octoberfest in Barrie, Ontario are posted here. This one has some quite well-known entries. The senior men's list contains Tomas Verner of the Czech Republic, as well as World Junior Champion Andrei Rogozine. There are 21 senior women entered, quite a good showing, In pairs, Jones/Gaskell will be a bit more than a month away from their Rostelecom Cup assignment (Russia), and Purich/Schultz will be less than a month away from their assignment to NHK. In senior dance Paul/Islam are entered, but with Skate America only a week away I wouldn't expect them to show up.

In junior the difference between the state of pairs and dance in Canada is evident - only one junior pair entered, but 10 junior dance teams entered.

NorthernDancers

On the Ice
Any info, reports or results from the Isabelle Henderson Memorial? It's taking place this weekend in Paris, Ontario.

Well, there are certainly a lot of little dance teams coming up. I counted 6 between pre-juvenile and juvenile - all of them so adorable. But the competitive ranks are pretty thin. Nothing at Junior. At Senior, Paul/Islam withdrew, which was really disappointing. So looking forward to seeing them. They've withdrawn from every competition so far this year. I really hope they are ok. They have so much promise. And Skate America is just around the corner. Lud/Mulder were the highlight of the night with a really strong SD at Senior. They were the only Senior entry. They have improved a tremendous amount since Junior nationals. A lot more confidence from both, and improved presentation and speed. Definitely Rumba feeling. Really cool lift, decent and mediocre Rumbas, twizzles really close together, and the step sequence looked good (just lost a little speed towards the end, then found the momentum again to finish). Really lovely lines, edges, toe points, and great transition to the 2nd piece of music. All in all, a really nice surprise.

I'll send a report on pairs tomorrow as well. Really interested to see what they look like.

NorthernDancers

On the Ice
And now for Saturday update:

In dance, Paul/Islam did not skate. Since they weren't there yesterday, not all that surprising. Again, I really hope they are ok. Really looking forward to seeing their new programs, and how they've improved during the off-season. Lud/Mulder had another solid skate. Like last night, it was much faster than we normally see from them, and there was some great expression from both. As is normal with this team, their costumes are simply amazing. It will be interesting to see how this team develops over the season. They missed the Summer competitions, so this was really the start for them. Pre-novice event only had 1 entry, and was definitely a work in progress. Maybe the contrast between a solid Senior performance followed by pre-novice re-inforced the impression. 3 teams at Novice. The Scarboro team was really quite good, and both look really young. Robinson/Toth showed improvement over last year, but I'm thinking still well off the mark to finish well nationally. The Barrie team has a really interesting concept, and their costumes are fabulous, but are clearly a new team that need more time.

The pairs event was very good. For all teams, there has been significant improvement even from Thornhill. Bobak/Beharry were not competing, which I guess isn't that surprising since they will have another JGP event coming their way. Orr/Furiano have a sparkling SP. Suits them well, and they did a great job today. Budd/Sheldrick looks like a very promising team. They had a lot of confidence, and put in a solid performance. Will they compete for Canada or the US, I wonder? My favourite team for the long-term is Rau/Simpson. Again, they did not disappoint. A hand down here and there, but otherwise very good. The double-twist was huge. He is just rock solid, and she is fierce. I can't wait til they hit the JGP scene. They will be fabulous. Steele/Shultz had a much better performance here than in Thornhill. They looked more confident and settled. They still have a lot more work to do, but the switch to Wirtz has been a positive one for them. They have very nice lines, which isn't always something one can say about pairs skaters. Maybe that's because they are much closer in height to each other. KMT/Moscovitch were simply amazing. There were some issues here and there, but my goodness they have stepped into a new dimension. Yes, there are memories of previous years lifts. However, the most talked about factor on forums with these 2 has been their lack of artistic qualities in their skating. Duhamel/Radford have had the edge over KMT/Moscovitch in that department. KMT/Moscovitch must be working with Paul MacIntosh on their step sequences and in-between choreography. It's the only explanation. They almost looked like dancers. There were just a ton of choreographic details and connections. It's really quite amazing. Her costume in Thornhill was hideous. This looks simply beautiful. I really wish them the best on their GP assignments. Wish they would come to Skate Canada.

geoskate

On the Ice
Results for Souvenir Georges-Ethier are being posted at this link. Short program for novice ladies, junior ladies and junior men have already taken place.

samba

On the Ice
Any insider if P/I will be at Octoberfest? Isn't Barrie their homeclub? Can't wait to see their programs.

sk8hrd

Rinkside
13 yr old Gabrielle Daleman landed a 3Lz and a 3F in her JW SP at Isabelle Henderson! Wow.

skatingfan04

Final Flight
According to the results on the Skate Canada Central Ontario site, Paul & Islam skated their SD at Octoberfest today. Their score was around 55. Did anyone happen to catch this? Any reports? Photos?

I saw them at Octoberfest, and I'm sorry to say that their short dance is very under-whelming. The score of 55 was imo a gift. They need a lot of work to compare to Ralph/Hill this season from what we saw at Nebelhorn. Going to watch Gilles/Poirier tomorrow so will give more feedback then.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
from the sidelines, What were your impressions of K/G-S? Was their score reasonable, in your opinion?

ajjcanada

Rinkside
Thanks for the comments re: Octoberfest. Would love to hear about Gilles / Poirier and if 91(!!) for the FD was a deserved mark - seems pretty impressive first time out. Also, if you happened to watch the Novice Free dance, comments would be great - I used to get to watch the Mengs skater regularly, but I haven't seen them in awhile.....

Last edited: