Emily Samuelson and Evan Bates split up | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Emily Samuelson and Evan Bates split up

BackStage Barbie

On the Ice
Question....

At 2010 US Nationals, many thought Chock/Zuerlein could squeeze in for the 3rd Olympic slot but they finished 5th while Samuelson/Bates were 3rd. Does anyone remember if S/B simply outskated them or did C/Z have falls or major mistakes? I'm just trying to get a context for the two teams competitively against one another.

clairecloutier

Final Flight
Question....

At 2010 US Nationals, many thought Chock/Zuerlein could squeeze in for the 3rd Olympic slot but they finished 5th while Samuelson/Bates were 3rd. Does anyone remember if S/B simply outskated them or did C/Z have falls or major mistakes? I'm just trying to get a context for the two teams competitively against one another.

My impression was S/B simply outskated C/Z at 2010 Nationals. S/B had polished, high-quality programs and skated them well. I don't remember C/Z's original dance, but their free dance wasn't anywhere close to this year's. It was a more traditional dance and didn't suit them that well. This year, with the Cabaret dance, they were much much better.

CassAgain

On the Ice
If I recall the correctly, the real battle in 2010 for third was between S/B and Navarro and Bommentre.

BackStage Barbie

On the Ice
If I recall the correctly, the real battle in 2010 for third was between S/B and Navarro and Bommentre.

It was indeed. My question was simply if Chock/Zuerlein finished 5th because of a fall or big mistake of if they finished 5th because of a lower level of skating overall.

clairecloutier

Final Flight
It was indeed. My question was simply if Chock/Zuerlein finished 5th because of a fall or big mistake of if they finished 5th because of a lower level of skating overall.

I think it was a lower level of skating overall. I don't remember any huge mistakes (although there might have been minor mistakes).

herios

Medalist
I think it was a lower level of skating overall. I don't remember any huge mistakes (although there might have been minor mistakes).

It was just a lower level genarally speaking. S/B were ahead of them with 1 year in seniors and it showed.

blue_idealist

Record Breaker

I don't remember any major mistakes from C/Z. I just remember their programs simply weren't as good/as well skated as S/B's or N/B's that year. C/Z improved a lot in 2010-2011, I think.

I actually think Navarro and Bommentre should have gone to the Olympics, but I think Kim sealed their fate when she let go of her leg during a twizzle.