Emily Samuelson and Evan Bates split up | Golden Skate

Emily Samuelson and Evan Bates split up

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
Source

Shpilband said that Madison Chock, who took ninth at worlds with Greg Zuerlein (who retired after the season), has had several tryouts with potential partners. There's also the news of another acclaimed team that has split: Emily Samuelson and Evan Bates.

Samuelson and Bates, two-time U.S. medalists and 2010 Olympians who have competed together since 2001, ended their partnership several weeks ago, their coaches said. They didn't compete last season because of Bates' severe Achilles' tendon injury; each is looking for new partners.

Grr.... not enjoying this off-season.

Kitt

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Wondered why he wasn't there at Skate for Hope last weekend.....Emily looked great though. She did a fun number to All the Single Ladies with Rachael, Caitlin & Alexe.

Her lines are so beautiful I hope she finds someone!

CassAgain

On the Ice
Ugh. I guess it's not a huge shock, but they had so much potential.

Chock and Bates, perhaps?

janetfan

Match Penalty
The depth of USA Dance teams seems to be greatly diminished and it's disappointing to see so many Dance/Pairs teams splitting up.

Wishing them all good luck in the future.

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
So it is true, darn another good team splitting. I was hoping the rumors were not true.
It has been quite an off season in skating. Good luck to them both.

Kitt

Final Flight
Country
United-States
hmmmm.....wondering if these teams got demoralized this season when the young Shibutanis came along and blew everyone out of the water!

lavender

Record Breaker
I guess the break ups and change of coaches will just keep coming since that's the theme of this summer.:rolleye:

alithia

Final Flight
I think being in Canton and training with the Shibs , and then the Shibs getting a medal and becoming a stable US n.2 really played its role.Maybe they were thinking that if they split and start fresh they will have more chances.It's sad because they're extremely young...
And I can't help but feeling that couples are pressured to peak too soon, and get results too soon as well.I'm afraid we are going to get ourselves a bunch of 24 year old retired skaters in a couple of years...

Spending ten years of your life just to achieve the unison dancing requires is important.It's not easy, considering how dance is right now and with the depth of the field that they will have the same results with a season's training.

The US is practically left without a top 10 third team right now.I don't know a lot about the $$ dancers spend and if they get federation support though.I think in some other countries (eg.Russia,France? ) the federation pays for most of the expenses...Again maybe I'm wrong.I'm not that much into bills.

emma

Record Breaker
it's official - i simply cannot keep up with all the partner break-ups and coaching changes of this off-season. :confused:

This one makes me sad, i'll miss this team. I do hope Emily finds a partner.

I can't imagine how difficult it will be for new teams with high caliber skaters to adjust to going back to square one. I'm sure other teams have split and re-partnered and done so, but I confess I haven't paid too much attention to pairs or dance in this regard over the years. Now it seems like suddenly a huge chunk of the US and Canadian top teams are splitting up and re-pairing - so what are the prospects for new teams to get, say, top tier ready (I mean, how many seasons do you think it would take)? What does all this mean for GP assignments? or nationals (will new teams have to go to sectionals if they don't get GP assignments)? My head is spinning - sorry in advance if these questions have been asked and answered to death with other break up threads.

blue dog

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan!
Record Breaker
This reminds me of the end of summer camp, when the budding romances all fizzle. At any rate, I thought Emily and Evan were slated for Lake Placid. I guess not. Best of luck to both. Of course, Pasha Grischuk and Yevgeny Platov split up for a few months before the 1993 season, and look at what happened with them.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
1. Not practically. Is. No way the third American team gets top ten. Then again,

2. Most of these teams have spent that decade training together already, alithia. I'm not quite sure what your second point means.

3. Alitha, both partners have said they're looking for new partners. How does that mesh with your thesis (that the success of the Shibs, firmly ensconsing them as the 2nd dance team, has triggered other teams to split.... and lets be fair, I totally think Greg Zuerlein genuinely retired because he wanted to pursue other things that aren't skating)

janetfan

Match Penalty
hmmmm.....wondering if these teams got demoralized this season when the young Shibutanis came along and blew everyone out of the water!

I don't see how this can possibly be blamed on the Shibs :unsure:

If your thought is even partially true better that such mentally weak competitors call it a day.

I think the Shibs went to Worlds hoping to do well and maybe finish in the top 5 or 6.

When other teams made mistakes the Shibs solid skating got them onto the podium.

I can't see how this could have caused other teams to break up although I can see how it might make them want to train harder. :)

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
Emma....

1. Since both Canada and the USA host a GP event, if the federations choose to invite them, they'll get the slot. In Canada, that means they don't have to do regional/sectional events. That's not true in the USA and special dispensation is required.

2. Ilynikh/Katsalpov have been together for only two years, but came 7th at Worlds. The top two teams at World juniors 2010 had been together for about one year (I/K, P/I). Possible, but difficult

3. It REALLY depends on the calibre of the new partner (you're only as good as the lesser partner). For example, if Bates and Chock team up, we might seem them challenging for the third spot immediately. If it was someone of considerably lesser skill, I'd suggest they aim for 2018, not 2014.

emma

Record Breaker
thanks, IP! So, now it's the waiting game to see who pairs with whom....and then when.

colleen o'neill

Medalist
A-a-u-u-g-h-h-h!!!

That means no S/B American in Paris for me , then. Wah!:rolleye:..Oh, you mean it's not all about what I want to see , then ?
Emily..find someone quickly , please ! Guys ! Emily's available. Line forms to the right...

Actually , I hope they both find suitable partners . I can't bear the thought of all that talent going untapped.
I hope Evan is really OK ... I don't know if I can quite picture him with MC , if those suspicions are correct.

What a bummer summer we fans are having...

Last edited:

Binthere

On the Ice
I don't see how this can possibly be blamed on the Shibs :unsure:

If your thought is even partially true better that such mentally weak competitors call it a day.

I think the Shibs went to Worlds hoping to do well and maybe finish in the top 5 or 6.

When other teams made mistakes the Shibs solid skating got them onto the podium.

I can't see how this could have caused other teams to break up although I can see how it might make them want to train harder. :)

Well said, and very much agree. I find it puzzling that people somehow find reason to "blame" the Shibs. The Shibs did what they trained to do. When they had a somewhat disappointing Junior Worlds last year (those who called it a "disaster" I definitely disagree with. Movement up/down in dance is here to stay) they certainly did not give up. They have said in multiple interviews that immediately after coming back from worlds, they dove right back into training for the next season and if anything, became more determined than ever to work hard for a strong senior debut.

When the going gets tough, the tough get going.

We have all seen over and over, that sports careers are a long journey. There are ups and downs. Nobody is immune. Even now in ice dancing :eek: we should expect to see placements move more fluidly.

Great example - my favorite men's skater, Daisuke. World champ one year. Off the podium this year. Not at ALL diminished as an athlete or skater in my mind.
I expect people will be ready to jump on the Shibs as "finished" if they don't manage to repeat the success they had this spectacular season. Of course, that will be completely irrational, premature, (spiteful) and frankly stupid in my opinion.

If the results of another athlete are enough to dishearten a competitor so much that they choose to break-up or quit, then I agree that such easily discouraged athletes should probably call it a day.