Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 47

Thread: Emily Samuelson and Evan Bates split up

  1. #16
    Banned janetfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Posts
    6,889
    Quote Originally Posted by Kitt View Post
    hmmmm.....wondering if these teams got demoralized this season when the young Shibutanis came along and blew everyone out of the water!
    I don't see how this can possibly be blamed on the Shibs

    If your thought is even partially true better that such mentally weak competitors call it a day.

    I think the Shibs went to Worlds hoping to do well and maybe finish in the top 5 or 6.

    When other teams made mistakes the Shibs solid skating got them onto the podium.

    I can't see how this could have caused other teams to break up although I can see how it might make them want to train harder.

  2. #17
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    5,609
    Emma....

    1. Since both Canada and the USA host a GP event, if the federations choose to invite them, they'll get the slot. In Canada, that means they don't have to do regional/sectional events. That's not true in the USA and special dispensation is required.

    2. Ilynikh/Katsalpov have been together for only two years, but came 7th at Worlds. The top two teams at World juniors 2010 had been together for about one year (I/K, P/I). Possible, but difficult

    3. It REALLY depends on the calibre of the new partner (you're only as good as the lesser partner). For example, if Bates and Chock team up, we might seem them challenging for the third spot immediately. If it was someone of considerably lesser skill, I'd suggest they aim for 2018, not 2014.

  3. #18
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    2,611
    thanks, IP! So, now it's the waiting game to see who pairs with whom....and then when.

  4. #19
    Constable , Costume Police colleen o'neill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    1,779
    A-a-u-u-g-h-h-h!!!

    That means no S/B American in Paris for me , then. Wah!..Oh, you mean it's not all about what I want to see , then ?
    Emily..find someone quickly , please ! Guys ! Emily's available. Line forms to the right...

    Actually , I hope they both find suitable partners . I can't bear the thought of all that talent going untapped.
    I hope Evan is really OK ... I don't know if I can quite picture him with MC , if those suspicions are correct.

    What a bummer summer we fans are having...
    Last edited by colleen o'neill; 06-22-2011 at 02:14 PM.

  5. #20
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    318
    Quote Originally Posted by Hernando View Post
    I don't see how this can possibly be blamed on the Shibs

    If your thought is even partially true better that such mentally weak competitors call it a day.

    I think the Shibs went to Worlds hoping to do well and maybe finish in the top 5 or 6.

    When other teams made mistakes the Shibs solid skating got them onto the podium.

    I can't see how this could have caused other teams to break up although I can see how it might make them want to train harder.

    Well said, and very much agree. I find it puzzling that people somehow find reason to "blame" the Shibs. The Shibs did what they trained to do. When they had a somewhat disappointing Junior Worlds last year (those who called it a "disaster" I definitely disagree with. Movement up/down in dance is here to stay) they certainly did not give up. They have said in multiple interviews that immediately after coming back from worlds, they dove right back into training for the next season and if anything, became more determined than ever to work hard for a strong senior debut.

    When the going gets tough, the tough get going.

    We have all seen over and over, that sports careers are a long journey. There are ups and downs. Nobody is immune. Even now in ice dancing we should expect to see placements move more fluidly.

    Great example - my favorite men's skater, Daisuke. World champ one year. Off the podium this year. Not at ALL diminished as an athlete or skater in my mind.
    I expect people will be ready to jump on the Shibs as "finished" if they don't manage to repeat the success they had this spectacular season. Of course, that will be completely irrational, premature, (spiteful) and frankly stupid in my opinion.

    If the results of another athlete are enough to dishearten a competitor so much that they choose to break-up or quit, then I agree that such easily discouraged athletes should probably call it a day.

  6. #21
    Custom Title Kitt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    St. Paul, MN
    Posts
    412
    Hernando and binthere
    I am not "blaming" the Shibs. Personally, I find them adorable. I was just speculating on 2 couples motives for breaking up, but we will never know.

    I really loved Chock/Zuerlein's Cabaret program and am baffled they did not score higher. And maybe they are too.

  7. #22
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    3,526
    If a team is talented and clean and did not medal like the shibs or come close that is bad. Now all young talents can medal and if the judges are not giving you scores like the shibs that is a message. These splits are about the message sent by giving the shibs the bronze medal at the ages of 10 and 11 jk 17 and 18

  8. #23
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    5,609
    Quote Originally Posted by gmyers View Post
    If a team is talented and clean and did not medal like the shibs or come close that is bad. Now all young talents can medal and if the judges are not giving you scores like the shibs that is a message. These splits are about the message sent by giving the shibs the bronze medal at the ages of 10 and 11 jk 17 and 18
    I guess I question your assertion for the following reasons....

    1. Of the three teams (C/Z, S/B, C/P), only one member (Greg Zuerlein) has cited retirement. The rest are either actively looking for new partners (Crone, Poirier, Chock) or seem open to the idea (S/B). It makes no sense - none, zip, zero - for an athlete to say: "well, didn't medal with that person, lets try someone else".

    2. In the case of these athletes, we're talking about athletes who exist in the upper echelon of their sport - easily top twenty. The chances of them finding someone as good as they are... not all that great.

    3. When the judges "told" Davis/White that they weren't good enough to beat an injured D/S, a Linichuked B/A and a struggling V/M at Worlds 2009, did they say "Well, the judges don't like us. Let's find someone new, and oh, those twelve years don't outweigh that message?" Nope. They used that as motivation, attacked the next season with a vigour that a marauding bull would back down from and had their best season ever. When B/A missed the 2008 podium by a quarter and there were thoughts that their coaches were putting them out to pasture, what did they do? They found a new coach and worked their asses off to improve and had their best worlds result in four years. That's what high level athletes do. That's why they're high level athletes. They fight.

  9. #24
    Rogue Leader
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Winnipeg, MB
    Posts
    1,516
    This sucks. They were a lovely team. Add me to the list of those who hope Emily gets a new partner soon. Interesting that thearticle also states that V&M have still not decided yet whether they will compete next year.

  10. #25
    Rinkside
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    14
    So. C/Z announce split several weeks ago as he retires while she will seek another partner. Then S/B split ("several weeks ago") with similarly timed speculation that Chock/Bates are to partner.

    Separate from my disappointment in another young team breaking up and in not seeing S/B skate together again, MY first thought frankly is poor Emily. She stood by her injured long-time partner, sitting out the season and training for his return, then this happens. Something definitely does not "smell" right.

  11. #26
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    3,526
    Quote Originally Posted by ImaginaryPogue View Post
    I guess I question your assertion for the following reasons....

    1. Of the three teams (C/Z, S/B, C/P), only one member (Greg Zuerlein) has cited retirement. The rest are either actively looking for new partners (Crone, Poirier, Chock) or seem open to the idea (S/B). It makes no sense - none, zip, zero - for an athlete to say: "well, didn't medal with that person, lets try someone else".

    2. In the case of these athletes, we're talking about athletes who exist in the upper echelon of their sport - easily top twenty. The chances of them finding someone as good as they are... not all that great.

    3. When the judges "told" Davis/White that they weren't good enough to beat an injured D/S, a Linichuked B/A and a struggling V/M at Worlds 2009, did they say "Well, the judges don't like us. Let's find someone new, and oh, those twelve years don't outweigh that message?" Nope. They used that as motivation, attacked the next season with a vigour that a marauding bull would back down from and had their best season ever. When B/A missed the 2008 podium by a quarter and there were thoughts that their coaches were putting them out to pasture, what did they do? They found a new coach and worked their asses off to improve and had their best worlds result in four years. That's what high level athletes do. That's why they're high level athletes. They fight.
    Lots of good points. That they teams could fight together and work toward future success but that was before brand new senior team Shibs won bronze. They were told immediately right out of the gate. First time in senior worlds first senior season "you are medal caliber. final group caliber. Right behind P/B" And then with their PCS and GOE and technical skills. One mistake. A big one by P/B put them on the podium. There is now almost no motivation to stick wih the same person for years in seniors. A first year senior team can be world bronze medalists.

  12. #27
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    5,609
    Man, you really hate the Shibs.

  13. #28
    Beliver in Sasha's Perfect Program Tinymavy15's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    LA
    Posts
    4,982
    Quote Originally Posted by Antilles View Post
    This sucks. They were a lovely team. Add me to the list of those who hope Emily gets a new partner soon. Interesting that thearticle also states that V&M have still not decided yet whether they will compete next year.
    How interesting. I for some reason thought it was a given considering how hard they had to fight back from Tessa's surgery and the competitive fire they seemed to get after placing 2nd at worlds. I thought that after this rough season they would commit to Sochi.

  14. #29
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    5,609
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinymavy15 View Post
    How interesting. I for some reason thought it was a given considering how hard they had to fight back from Tessa's surgery and the competitive fire they seemed to get after placing 2nd at worlds. I thought that after this rough season they would commit to Sochi.
    They are working on new programs, but I think they realize the challenge and I wonder if that fight from Tessa's surgery is complete.

  15. #30
    Banned janetfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Posts
    6,889
    Quote Originally Posted by ImaginaryPogue View Post
    Man, you really hate the Shibs.
    What's interesting is that I have not read any comments that say the "Shibs are not really good" or that "the Shibs were overmarked."

    Most of the comments are more along the line of "how dare such a young team win a medal at Worlds."

    Sadly this is the legacy of Ice Dancing from the other side of the pond and I do think the CoP has done alot to make Ice Dancing not just more fair but also more of a sport.

    I really like watching many of the dance teams even if I am somewhat clueless about how they should be scored.

    That said, I really enjoy watching the Shibs and this team will get me, a longtime "singles fan" watching more Ice Dancning next season.

    My favorites at the moment are V/M and going back in time it would be T/D and the fabuloulsy UNIQUE Duchesnays.

    I have never bought into the Russo/Eastern Euro style of ice dancing because i find it seriously dated and never very original. So much of it is all the same and was never of much interest to me. I get it, you are imitating ballroom dancing from the 30's and you are pretending to be in love zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

    I happen to be a big fan of Adelina. Although she is a singles skater I somehow doubt certain posters will object if she wins medals next season in the GP or in her first eligible season as a senior skater at Euros/Worlds.

    Scoring and judging in any sport should always be about how an athlete performs and never about how many years they have been on the circuit.
    That type of thinking is so unsporting and belongs in the world of pageants.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •