Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Skate Detroit 7/19 - 7/23/2011

Skate Detroit 7/19 - 7/23/2011

Here is some info on Skate Detroit which is being held at the Detroit Figure Skating Club in Bloomfield Hills, MI July 19 - July 23/2011. Bloomfield Hills is about 25 miles north of Detroit.

I've seen a few names on other forums of senior competitors: Men - Keegan Messing. Ladies - Christina Gao, Becky Bereswell, Alexe Gilles.

From what I've been told this is a huge competition with 3 rinks in use for most of the days. Admission is free.

If I read of any other competitors, I'll post the info here.

Do you know if this competition includes ice dancing? The application information said it included "pairs." I'm assuming that means ice dancing too? Would love to see some of those DSC dance teams!

It doesn't seem like there is an ice dance competition. If you look in this folder for summer competitions, but further down you should see a thread for Detroit Skate for 2010. I looked through the links in the 2010 thread and there are pictures from an ice dance exhibition, but nothing for an ice dance competition.

Drat. DSC seems like the perfect place to feature ice dance. Oh well!

Does anyone know if there is a competition schedule posted? It would be nice to know when everyone is competeting.

Arianne I called DSC and they said the schedule hasn't been published yet, but the schedule for 2011 will be similar to last years. Here is a link to the 2010 schedule:

http://dscclub.com/pdf/detroitSkateSchedule.pdf

I was surprised at how late the events run. Hope this helps.

Yes, that helps! Thank you for the info!

Does anyone have any more info on this competition? Thanks!

Custom Title
    This site should be where the complete, official roster and schedule will be posted (last year the roster was posted on July 19): http://evt.sk8stuff.com/lister_event_detail.asp?id=4335

It's been a few years since I attended this competition, but feel free to ask any questions you might have.

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    Lake Placid IDC is the best place to see ice dance competition in the US during the summer.

When I looked at the links in the 2010 DSC Comp. I found pictures of an ice dance exhibition. Sylvia do you recall when the ice dance exhibition is held?

I was also wondering where the DSC elite skaters train during the competition. I think they have 3 ice surfaces so does anyone know if Alissa, Alexe, etc are training on another ice surface that I could watch?

Thanks.

I HOPE they do an ice dancing exhibition!!! That would be great! I think I'm going to book my hotel this week!

When I went to DSC in June for their show, I discovered that there is a lot of road construction in the area south of the club. From what I remember parts of M39 were closed south of Southfield. Also, there is heavy construction and reduced lanes on US24 between about 8 Mile road and Maple (about 10 miles). I didn't know about the construction on US24 and it took me about 45 minutes to travel through that area at 2:00 in the afternoon!

Just mentioning this in case fans aren't familiar with the area - be cautious in selecting your hotel, or you may end up stuck in LOTS of traffic.

I found this online. On page 5 it mentions hotel discounts. I'm not sure its really for fans, but probably anyone competing has already booked hotels so fans using it might be ok. Here's the link: http://dscclub.com/pdf/2011_skateDetroitApplication.pdf
    Last edited by MFarone; 07-06-2011 at 06:30 AM. Reason: Add hotel link

As Doris mentioned, the major summer Ice Dance competition is held at Lake Placid. It's almost traditional.

The present Solo competitions at DSC do have a few notable competitors in its list of entrants. I don't see it as being televised and we will have to rely on the goodness of strangers for submitting youtubes. I presume some fan in attendance will let us know what the results are and how the performances looked..

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by MFarone View Post
    When I looked at the links in the 2010 DSC Comp. I found pictures of an ice dance exhibition. Sylvia do you recall when the ice dance exhibition is held?
    IIRC, last year there were some monitoring sessions of dance teams, but they were not listed on the published schedule.

I was also wondering where the DSC elite skaters train during the competition. I think they have 3 ice surfaces so does anyone know if Alissa, Alexe, etc are training on another ice surface that I could watch?
    All 3 ice surfaces are in use during Skate Detroit for competition and/or official comp. practices. Since Alexe Gilles is scheduled to compete, she will be around competing or practicing. I believe Alissa Czisny and Adam Rippon will be away on a tour in Japan during Skate Detroit.

Will this be the first time you've attended a club competition?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast