Skate Detroit 7/19 - 7/23/2011 | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Skate Detroit 7/19 - 7/23/2011

MFarone

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Read over on FSU that Madison Hubbell and Zach Donohue are competing as are Olson and Cowan in senior dance. Those are the only ones I've seen listed so far.

DSC has 3 rinks and the senior events will be in rink C which is the one to the left as you come in the front door of the building and face the snack bar. Rink B is to the right as you come in. The other rink is A and will be used for practices and is through Rink B.

Rink C is where the ice show was presented which I attended in June. I'm normally a warm person but found a sweater was necessary. Plan accordingly!

Arianne

On the Ice
*Wish* Weaver/Poje would compete. I know they train there and saw them in the June show as well. They are my favorite team!

Arianne

On the Ice
Oh, I guess not then. I read that from a tweet from someone who was reporting from a summer competition. Guess it was an error. Sorry about that.

MFarone

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Actually, Armin M. and Keegan Messing are both skating at Liberty and both are registered for Skate Detroit. Who know if they will both be there, but they are both on the list. Also, Jonathan Cassar is skating - he of the wonderful spread eagles and the necklace that broke at Nationals. I still remember Frank Carroll placing his jacket in front of Jonathan as he fished inside his costume for the necklace :laugh:.

Arianne

On the Ice
Lol! What a funny moment from nationals! Thanks for reminding me about that! I hope all three make it out to SD! I've heard that Keegan has been throwing down quads now! That would be great to see! Can't wait until Skate Detroit!

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Keegan successfully threw some quads at nationals, ... and some not so successfully.

Jonathan Cassar is definitely a good reason to attend Detroit.

If you believe that Dance is part of Singles competition, he is one of the few to see how it is done. Every step he takes demonstrates musicality - not just with his reknowned spread eagels, but the entire flow of his presentation which negates all others who must oversell their programs.

mskater93

Record Breaker
Must be a totally random draw for Juniors - Carly and Gracie Gold are in different IR groups! Go Carly and Gracie! AND Gracie and Katia Shpilband are in the same IR group!!

Last edited:

Arianne

On the Ice
Yeah! Packing and getting ready to head to Skate Detroit tomorrow! Hopefully taking some pics!

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
It would indeed be great to hear about your experiences! And take lots of pictures, if you're a camera buff! We'd love to see them.

mskater93

Record Breaker
Thank you! YAY Gracie! I saw her working on this short and glad to see she pulled out the 3+3

Arianne

On the Ice
Just a few quick notes from tonight:

Jonathan Cassar was AMAZING in the short program today! He skated to a tango medley that included the Tango de Roxanne. Spread eagle and footwork were out of this world. The audience gave a partial standing ovation and went wild! He gladly signed autographs for fans afterwards and was a class act. Armin went for the quad and fell. He also popped his 3a, but did a nice 3/3 combination which put him in the lead a couple of points ahead of Cassar. Keegan Messing also popped his axel and then totally missed the quad, it looked like he caught his toepick and didn't even hit a single. He pulled out a 3/2 combination only and seemed very upset. Hopefully he will come back strong in the free!!!

Becky Bereswill's lp was graceful and beautiful. Her spirals are amazing and her layback is the best in the competition. She unfortunately popped a few jumps.

Alexe Gilles came through strong tonight. Her lutz was missing, but she had some nice triples and presented her program well.