Skate Detroit 7/19 - 7/23/2011 | Golden Skate

Skate Detroit 7/19 - 7/23/2011

MFarone

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Here is some info on Skate Detroit which is being held at the Detroit Figure Skating Club in Bloomfield Hills, MI July 19 - July 23/2011. Bloomfield Hills is about 25 miles north of Detroit.

I've seen a few names on other forums of senior competitors: Men - Keegan Messing. Ladies - Christina Gao, Becky Bereswell, Alexe Gilles.

From what I've been told this is a huge competition with 3 rinks in use for most of the days. Admission is free.

If I read of any other competitors, I'll post the info here.

Arianne

On the Ice
Do you know if this competition includes ice dancing? The application information said it included "pairs." I'm assuming that means ice dancing too? Would love to see some of those DSC dance teams!

MFarone

Final Flight
Country
United-States
It doesn't seem like there is an ice dance competition. If you look in this folder for summer competitions, but further down you should see a thread for Detroit Skate for 2010. I looked through the links in the 2010 thread and there are pictures from an ice dance exhibition, but nothing for an ice dance competition.

Arianne

On the Ice
Does anyone know if there is a competition schedule posted? It would be nice to know when everyone is competeting.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Lake Placid IDC is the best place to see ice dance competition in the US during the summer.

MFarone

Final Flight
Country
United-States
When I looked at the links in the 2010 DSC Comp. I found pictures of an ice dance exhibition. Sylvia do you recall when the ice dance exhibition is held?

I was also wondering where the DSC elite skaters train during the competition. I think they have 3 ice surfaces so does anyone know if Alissa, Alexe, etc are training on another ice surface that I could watch?

Thanks.

Arianne

On the Ice
I HOPE they do an ice dancing exhibition!!! That would be great! I think I'm going to book my hotel this week!

MFarone

Final Flight
Country
United-States
When I went to DSC in June for their show, I discovered that there is a lot of road construction in the area south of the club. From what I remember parts of M39 were closed south of Southfield. Also, there is heavy construction and reduced lanes on US24 between about 8 Mile road and Maple (about 10 miles). I didn't know about the construction on US24 and it took me about 45 minutes to travel through that area at 2:00 in the afternoon!

Just mentioning this in case fans aren't familiar with the area - be cautious in selecting your hotel, or you may end up stuck in LOTS of traffic.

I found this online. On page 5 it mentions hotel discounts. I'm not sure its really for fans, but probably anyone competing has already booked hotels so fans using it might be ok. Here's the link: http://dscclub.com/pdf/2011_skateDetroitApplication.pdf

Last edited:
As Doris mentioned, the major summer Ice Dance competition is held at Lake Placid. It's almost traditional.

The present Solo competitions at DSC do have a few notable competitors in its list of entrants. I don't see it as being televised and we will have to rely on the goodness of strangers for submitting youtubes. I presume some fan in attendance will let us know what the results are and how the performances looked..

Sylvia

Record Breaker
When I looked at the links in the 2010 DSC Comp. I found pictures of an ice dance exhibition. Sylvia do you recall when the ice dance exhibition is held?
IIRC, last year there were some monitoring sessions of dance teams, but they were not listed on the published schedule.

I was also wondering where the DSC elite skaters train during the competition. I think they have 3 ice surfaces so does anyone know if Alissa, Alexe, etc are training on another ice surface that I could watch?
All 3 ice surfaces are in use during Skate Detroit for competition and/or official comp. practices. Since Alexe Gilles is scheduled to compete, she will be around competing or practicing. I believe Alissa Czisny and Adam Rippon will be away on a tour in Japan during Skate Detroit.

Will this be the first time you've attended a club competition?

MFarone

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Yes, this is my first club competition. From looking through last years info, I realize they have a lot of skaters! Should be fun. I am not able to go for the entire event but would like to see most of the Juniors and Seniors.

Would love to go to Lake Placid someday, but not at this time. Hope to see some ice dance at Detroit, but if not I'll be happy with the rest.

Sylvia

Record Breaker
You should have a fun time, MFarone! :)

Event Schedule is up ("C" Rink is the main ice surface): http://dscclub.com/pdf/skateDetroit_schedule_2011.pdf

Senior and Junior Dance events are listed on the schedule for the first time that I can recall. :) I assume Junior Ladies will be quite a competitive event here again and I look forward to reports!

Sylvia

Record Breaker
Here is a link to a blog that has info about Skate Detroit.
Actually, I think those names were first posted at FSU. ;) As of now Keegan Messing is the only one I know who definitely is planning to compete.