Skate Detroit 7/19 - 7/23/2011 | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Skate Detroit 7/19 - 7/23/2011

silverlake22

Record Breaker

feraina

Record Breaker
Nice outing for Nina Jiang here! Nice to see her doing 3f and 3lz. Her win here and strong total score should put her in contention for a JGP assignment. I'm very pleased to see her skating so well! Also what happened to Amanda Dobbs? Is she injured again, the WD is concerning :/

Yeah, I'm really excited for her! First time landing 3F and 3Z in competition, isn't it? I can't wait to see a video.

mariposa

Rinkside
I'm hoping someone has reports from senior ladies..I thought for sure Charbonneau was in medal contention, but am happy for Grenier moving up to 2nd. I am also pleased Gilles had a great performance.

feraina

Record Breaker
So what did Nina actually land in her LP final? I heard she fell on a couple of jumps.

LeCygne

Final Flight
Gracie Gold is a gorgeous skater. Excellent jumps, pretty spins, very nice lines and artistry overall. How old is she? She must be around 16. With a 3-3 and 2A-3T, she could give the current USA senior ladies a run for their money. I really hope she gets some JGP assignments.

Why is Nina Jiang in seniors? She can't be older than 14, and I know she's competed in juniors at Nationals for 2 years already, but without a consistent flip and lutz (even loop sometimes), she needs to work on getting that down first. I can't see her doing very well otherwise, despite her great PCS.

mskater93

Record Breaker
Gracie is 15. She went through a growing phase right around Sectionals last year which hurt her jumping consistency (more her mental game than anything) and cost her a trip to Nationals in Juniors (if you have an IN account, go watch her Junior Ladies program from Midwestern Sectionals from last year. Heartbreaking!)

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Gracie Gold is a gorgeous skater. Excellent jumps, pretty spins, very nice lines and artistry overall. How old is she? She must be around 16. With a 3-3 and 2A-3T, she could give the current USA senior ladies a run for their money. I really hope she gets some JGP assignments.

Why is Nina Jiang in seniors? She can't be older than 14, and I know she's competed in juniors at Nationals for 2 years already, but without a consistent flip and lutz (even loop sometimes), she needs to work on getting that down first. I can't see her doing very well otherwise, despite her great PCS.

Gracie turns 16 in August. She grew about 4 inches over the past season which hurt her jumps but she seems to have bounced back nicely.

As for Nina, she's always been young for her level. I think moving up to seniors makes sense, it might even be easier for her to qualify for nationals in senior anyways, and where she placed 9th at nationals last season after being 5th the year before, she might want to leave the junior ranks behind her and start fresh. She seems to be skating well as of late, and her flip, loop, and (I presume) lutz jumps are nice when she lands them. She also has a 3t-3t combo (she did it last season in the SP at JGP Courcheval, though the 2nd jump was marked <). I think she probably dealt with some puberty woes last season and is getting over them now. I mean, she won skate detroit skating as a senior, so I think she can handle the pressure/competition. I'm very proud of and happy for her!

Last edited:

mskater93

Record Breaker
Yes, Nina Jiang won Skate Detroit as a Senior, but her LP score would have been THIRD best in the Junior Ladies FR.

Gracie grew more than 4 inches since she started skating at our rink. I skate with her regularly, and trust me, it was more than that, not that she's in any way tall. Most of her issues were not really related to any growth last season (it was very gradual versus all at once), they were more related to trust in herself because last year at Mids, even though she fell (a lot), everything was rotated (which is how she wound up 6th, versus lower). If she was having issues adjusting to height, she would have been popping/UR more so than she did.

feraina

Record Breaker
Yes, Nina Jiang won Skate Detroit as a Senior, but her LP score would have been THIRD best in the Junior Ladies FR.

Nina gets really good PCS, though. Considering she only landed four clean triples in both LP's at Skate Detroit, it was amazing that she got 93 points. What differentiates juniors and seniors is less technical content and more skating/presentation skills. She's in approximately the same position as Yasmin Siraj last year.

He's looking good. Very good camel positions and his flow is quite musical. The pause in his routine is much too long, but I think that will be corrected. I'm sure he can do those jumps he fell on, but a musical skater does not take the careful preparations before a jump as a non-musical skater who has all the time in the world to prepare for a jump.

mskater93

Record Breaker
Nina gets really good PCS, though. Considering she only landed four clean triples in both LP's at Skate Detroit, it was amazing that she got 93 points. What differentiates juniors and seniors is less technical content and more skating/presentation skills. She's in approximately the same position as Yasmin Siraj last year.

There's also a possibility that her PCS would have been lower in Junior Ladies than it was in Seniors as there's the perception thing that Seniors skate better than Juniors (although, to be honest, I watched Hannah Miller's program on youtube and she seemed really SLOW, especially after watching Gracie's which was taken from a similar vantage point).