Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Adult Skating =)

I loved Midori's performance, she put her heart and soul into that performance, Congrats to her. Thank you to Mot for the translation and to blue dog and ajjcanada for the video links.
    Congrats to Jan Calnan for her gold medal performance, what a lovely skater she is. A combination of technical skill and artistry.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by ajjcanada View Post
    I am glad you enjoyed it Hikki. I skated as a child, although I never progressed that far after the age of 13 or so - I was a very awkward teenager I only competed in the more recreational competitions as a kid and I hated it- I would hyperventilate, and completely freak out. While I can't say I have my nerves all under control, I do find the great friendships and understanding amongst the adult skaters go a long way to calm those nerves - you know they all understand where you are, and they all want to see you skate well. It is a good feeling.

Are you a skater as well?
    The only "skate" I do is the occasional under-rotated double jumps on the floor! I still remember the first time I went to watch a competition and my first thought was how nervous one must get to receive all the attention in such a big ice rink where you could hear a pin drop (I think it was Japan Open in the early 2000's, coincidentally where Midori skated for the first time since her '96 amateur appearance)!! Since then I appreciate skaters for standing there at all!

I'll look forward to your posts from a skater's points of view

As for Midori's performance, I can't get over how beautifully she did the spins and steps on top of her jumps. I'm no expert but that step sequence looked so gentle and had beautiful turns, the spins nicely varied and pretty! She must have practiced a lot. Actually she did according to the article mot kindly has translated!

Quote Originally Posted by hikki View Post
    As for Midori's performance, I can't get over how beautifully she did the spins and steps on top of her jumps. I'm no expert but that step sequence looked so gentle and had beautiful turns, the spins nicely varied and pretty! She must have practiced a lot. Actually she did according to the article mot kindly has translated!
    Between her skating and this lovely article, I was very touched.

I printed out the article and put it in my training journal (adult skater, here) and will use it to push me out of bed on the days when I don't want to get up at 4:30 to go to the rink. I would like to see Midori skate again next year after deciding a full year in advance to go (instead of beginning to "cram" in December for O'dorf) and for Natalie Shaby to be healthy. That would make that group dynamic!

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan! blue dog's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mskater93 View Post
    Between her skating and this lovely article, I was very touched.

I printed out the article and put it in my training journal (adult skater, here) and will use it to push me out of bed on the days when I don't want to get up at 4:30 to go to the rink. I would like to see Midori skate again next year after deciding a full year in advance to go (instead of beginning to "cram" in December for O'dorf) and for Natalie Shaby to be healthy. That would make that group dynamic!
    Good idea! Are you planning on going to Adult Nats next year?

This guy skates at my rink! He's a doctor, and finds time to skate every morning. Very nice guy =)

Brian Kim
    http://youtu.be/FwMf2NhZ1J0

Quote Originally Posted by blue dog View Post
    Good idea! Are you planning on going to Adult Nats next year?
    Absolutely! I haven't missed in awhile. I have my fingers crossed about venue, too.

This guy skates at my rink! He's a doctor, and finds time to skate every morning. Very nice guy
    Blue dog, I know Brian, we skate at the same rink too.

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan! blue dog's Avatar
    You guys skate at Escondido, i assume? I see Brian when he comes down to Kroc. I love Escondido's surface, but the drive for me is killer.

We should have a Goldenskate meetup at Adult Nats next year.

Quote Originally Posted by blue dog View Post
    We should have a Goldenskate meetup at Adult Nats next year.
    Yay! That would be fun! What level is everyone at?

You guys skate at Escondido, i assume?
    Yep Escondido.
    Where are Adult Nationals next year?

Bids were just due last Thursday, so not announced yet. I know of at least one bid.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2