Assignment surprise...? | Golden Skate

Assignment surprise...?

sorcerer

Final Flight
Tatjana tweeted that there will be "a surprise. :)" in the coming GP assignments.

Does anyone have the right guess?

Like Plush getting 3 slots???

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Plushenko has never wanted to do more than one GP event. I don't see it.

ciocio

On the Ice
True, it's impossible to get 3 slots. But maybe he's not assigned to COR but to other GP event like Skate Canada, Cup of China or Skate America.

sigrid

On the Ice
Maybe the Kerrs? Please!
I'd love it, but they have one gala in the US during the GP dates (same goes for Joannie)

I'd like the surprise to be that they keep 12 spots in singles and 10 in ice dance. But I think it'll be an un-retirement (Evan maybe? one of the broken pairs?)

npa

Match Penalty
Maybe for Tanya Flade surprise is Plushenko skating in GP. But who care about this?

seniorita

Record Breaker
^Mrs Flade has interviewed Evgeni exclusively this month and the article will come out next weeks, and as far as I know Evgeni really likes her and always gives her information first, if nothing else she would be the first to know about his intentions and reinstatement stuff / gp assignments . I doubt anything relating to Plu would be a surprise to her.

herios

Medalist
Plushenko has never wanted to do more than one GP event. I don't see it.

This is actually incorrect. It may have been true in recent years, but there were years when he elected to do 2 and even 3 GP events / season:

Starting 1997-98 until 2003-04 he always did at least two events, and in: 1998, 1999, 2000 and 2003 he did 3 events.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
In 2004, Plushy was assigned to 3 events but withdrew from the first two and did only CoR; he complained that he had a sinus condition that made air travel difficult and painful. He did only one event in 2005, again, CoR. He skipped the 2006, 2007 and 2008 GPs and did one GP--CoR--in 2009. He doesn't like to travel, that's a given.

Prior to 2004, Plushenko was a young man at the peak of his powers and doing 3 GPs was well within his capabilities. But he is now 28 and hasn't competed in the past 20 months, so it's an entirely different story.

Last edited:

npa

Match Penalty
Do you really interesting in Plushenko GP assigment? And this will be suprise for you? Sorry, but nothing interesting for me if he will skate at CoR.
Dont like when people made this way - if you know something, but didnt want tell this to other people, better post nothing, then to talk hints. It will be funny if tomorrow we will not find nothing interesting :biggrin:
If we will find something, because ISU have so bad managment and work so slow.Maybe they need younger president :mad:

This is actually incorrect. It may have been true in recent years, but there were years when he elected to do 2 and even 3 GP events / season:

Starting 1997-98 until 2003-04 he always did at least two events, and in: 1998, 1999, 2000 and 2003 he did 3 events.
He's been around a long time, hasn't he? Even before l997, he must have qualified to get GPS.
From another post I read Miki Ando will skip the GPs this season. I guess that would not be as much of a surprise as Evgeni skating a GP.

seniorita

Record Breaker
He is as old as the mountains :biggrin: What is GPS? Grand Prix Series? First season 96-97. Before 1997 he was a junior. :)
Do you really interesting in Plushenko GP assigment? And this will be suprise for you? Sorry, but nothing interesting for me if he will skate at CoR.

Yes I am interested.
Or this was a rhetoric question?

Last edited:

alithia

Final Flight
I'm interested too.But I don't think it's about Plushenko.I expect him to do Cup of Russia but probably not another GP.
At first,I thought maybe F/S are in the lists,but they have announced they'll be back anyway.Maybe Yuna has decided to compete this fall?

(I hope it's the Kerrs though..but unfortunately it may not be the case...)

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
Maybe T. Flade knows of some other surprise than Plushenko skating in GP? That surely is no surprise since he became eligible again.

Tatjana

On the Ice
The surprise is not about Evgeni Plushenko. I ususally won't tease people with "I know something but won't tell", but it is only until tomorrow plus I just wanted to spark interest in the Grand Prix and I guess it worked. :) The surprise might not be a surprise for everyone, though.

Arianne

On the Ice
hmmmm.... Well, we know that Miki is skipping the series this year. She may even take a year off : ( She will be missed. I hope Michelle Kwan is returning : ) lol