Assignment surprise...? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Assignment surprise...?

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Do you really interesting in Plushenko GP assigment? And this will be suprise for you? Sorry, but nothing interesting for me if he will skate at CoR.
Dont like when people made this way - if you know something, but didnt want tell this to other people, better post nothing, then to talk hints. It will be funny if tomorrow we will not find nothing interesting :biggrin:
If we will find something, because ISU have so bad managment and work so slow.Maybe they need younger president :mad:

I couldn't agree more!

Tatjana

On the Ice
Everything will be made public tomorrow ;)

Exactly. It is not like the GP assignments are a vital information that needs to be published immediately when the meeting was on a weekend and people in the Federation office will be back to work on Monday morning.

Tammi

On the Ice
Exactly. It is not like the GP assignments are a vital information that needs to be published immediately when the meeting was on a weekend and people in the Federation office will be back to work on Monday morning.
Skaters waiting to hear if they were chosen might disagree ;) .

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Exactly. Skaters who are not chosen will have to hope that they get fall Senior "B"s assignments, which means impressing the USFS with great results in summer competitions. Those who have assignments will be more concerned with practicing and being monitored, either at one specific summer comp, or privately.

Also, those Seniors who do get assignments but weren't in the top 5 at Nationals may be exempted from Regionals and/or Sectionals due to date conflicts.

So schedules over the next five months are dependent on whether or not a skater makes it to the GP.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Only if V&M have chosen to not do any GP events--as silver medallists, they have qualified for 3 spots if they want them. It's possible, though.

Tatjana

On the Ice
It is about an individual skater, not a rule change. There is no major rule change other than what has been known before (down to 10 singles and 8 dance teams). There is extra prize money for skaters who do three events but only a few chose to do three (like Savchenko/Szolkowy, for example, which has been known already).
And as for the skaters waiting to know if they are selected - I think two days won't make a difference in their planning plus their Federations might have told them right away but asked them not to make it public yet.

ciocio

On the Ice
Hm...are Joannie Rochette or Evan back???? :confused: Or somebody is skipping GPS????:scratch:

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
WOW, Lysacek is coming back and appearing in 2 GP events (SA and TEB)!!! Oh my, this IS a surprise!!! WELCOME BACK, EVAN!!!

herios

Medalist
Another comeback after a year pause is Dan Zhang / Hao Zhang in pairs. So they haven't retired after all

1. If the skaters from 18 Members of the ISU were invited based on results of the Worlds 2011, How did Evan qualify (I saw no mention of the Olys) when he did not compete in 2011, and V/M withdrew from Worlds 2011?

2. How were all invitees appointed their respective GP locations? Did the Feds have the right to select whom they wanted?

3. Do the competitors have a say in what venue they want to compete?

If the selection process was done by the ISU, I believe the ISU has pitted at least two favorite skaters in each of the GP events so that these favorite skaters will draw in the crowds for revenue purpose. If the selection process was done by the Feds as in previous years, we are not privileged to know that at this point in time.

The GPs are a major international figure skating contest. Each invitee will get to skate 4 programs at 2 different sites. Some competitors will be permitted to skate 5 programs at 3 different sites and then choose their highest scores so that they will be in the coveted Finals.

I'm not sure if all this is in the interest of good sportsmanship. A new breed of Elite Skaters will be officially born at these games. Is fairness considered for the non elete skater?

herios

Medalist
1. If the skaters from 18 Members of the ISU were invited based on results of the Worlds 2011, How did Evan qualify (I saw no mention of the Olys) when he did not compete in 2011, and V/M withdrew from Worlds 2011?

V/M didn't withdrew from worlds....

seniorita

Record Breaker
Wow the whole Teb field in all disciplines is (almost:p) fantastic!
French croissants again!:hb:

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
Some early thoughts....

1. Nagasu gets Skate Canada and Cup of China back-to-back. If she does well, she'll definitely show us naysyers wrong about her competitive mettle. In the oops, sorry category, we have Shibutanis (CoC and NHK back to back. I guess Davis/White didn't give up SA for them as suggested).

2. Lysacek coming back is a shocker. Didn't see that coming.

3. Somewhat disappointed that Plushenko didn't return. I expect CoR at least, and it would've demonstrated his willingness to put his money where is mouth is.

4. Pechelat/Bourzat went for three. So did Weaver/Poje (so both of Krylova/Camerlengo's teams). Kostner, V/T, Kavaguti/Smirnov, Leonova and Brezina join them. Smart for Brezina, Leonova and K/S. Not sure about the rest.

5. Glad to see Hurtado/Diaz got a SGP.

6. Skate America was VERY wise to let Evora/Ladwig go elsewhere. Now they have another host pick to use, and I suspect we'll see that go to Donlan/Speroff, but obviously whichever team tests well in the summer events. Also SC w/ doing the same to Mt/M. I was worried they wouldn't. And I'm super glad about how Russia split the dance teams. Monko/Khaliavin getting two but not CoR was smart. Splitting B/S and I/K was even smarter. Well played.

7. Stunned that they didn't give V/T CoR. Whoa (and also, given my earlier comments, some crow might be headed my way!)

8. A little surprised that Canada might have seven teams on the SGP (assuming Dube/Wolfe get the SC TBA slot).

9. The only real surprise from the ladies is that France elected not to announce Meite yet. I mean, who are they kidding?

10. TEB is STACKED!!!! Holy freholy.

ETA

11. Sui/Han only have one spot. Would be interested to see the political maneuvering required for that one.

EATA

12. No Faiella/Scali.

Last edited: