Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: Assignment surprise...?

Custom Title
    Hm...are Joannie Rochette or Evan back???? Or somebody is skipping GPS????

Custom Title
    I knew it!!!! Great!!! The more (Oly Champions) the merrier!!!

Medalist
    Scott and Tessa, Elena and Nikita in Paris! am i dreaming or what????

Custom Title
    WOW, Lysacek is coming back and appearing in 2 GP events (SA and TEB)!!! Oh my, this IS a surprise!!! WELCOME BACK, EVAN!!!

Custom Title
    Another comeback after a year pause is Dan Zhang / Hao Zhang in pairs. So they haven't retired after all

1. If the skaters from 18 Members of the ISU were invited based on results of the Worlds 2011, How did Evan qualify (I saw no mention of the Olys) when he did not compete in 2011, and V/M withdrew from Worlds 2011?

2. How were all invitees appointed their respective GP locations? Did the Feds have the right to select whom they wanted?

3. Do the competitors have a say in what venue they want to compete?

If the selection process was done by the ISU, I believe the ISU has pitted at least two favorite skaters in each of the GP events so that these favorite skaters will draw in the crowds for revenue purpose. If the selection process was done by the Feds as in previous years, we are not privileged to know that at this point in time.

The GPs are a major international figure skating contest. Each invitee will get to skate 4 programs at 2 different sites. Some competitors will be permitted to skate 5 programs at 3 different sites and then choose their highest scores so that they will be in the coveted Finals.

I'm not sure if all this is in the interest of good sportsmanship. A new breed of Elite Skaters will be officially born at these games. Is fairness considered for the non elete skater?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Joesitz View Post
    1. If the skaters from 18 Members of the ISU were invited based on results of the Worlds 2011, How did Evan qualify (I saw no mention of the Olys) when he did not compete in 2011, and V/M withdrew from Worlds 2011?
    V/M didn't withdrew from worlds....

leave no stone unturned seniorita's Avatar
    Wow the whole Teb field in all disciplines is (almost) fantastic!
    French croissants again!

Custom Title
    Some early thoughts....

1. Nagasu gets Skate Canada and Cup of China back-to-back. If she does well, she'll definitely show us naysyers wrong about her competitive mettle. In the oops, sorry category, we have Shibutanis (CoC and NHK back to back. I guess Davis/White didn't give up SA for them as suggested).

2. Lysacek coming back is a shocker. Didn't see that coming.

3. Somewhat disappointed that Plushenko didn't return. I expect CoR at least, and it would've demonstrated his willingness to put his money where is mouth is.

4. Pechelat/Bourzat went for three. So did Weaver/Poje (so both of Krylova/Camerlengo's teams). Kostner, V/T, Kavaguti/Smirnov, Leonova and Brezina join them. Smart for Brezina, Leonova and K/S. Not sure about the rest.

5. Glad to see Hurtado/Diaz got a SGP.

6. Skate America was VERY wise to let Evora/Ladwig go elsewhere. Now they have another host pick to use, and I suspect we'll see that go to Donlan/Speroff, but obviously whichever team tests well in the summer events. Also SC w/ doing the same to Mt/M. I was worried they wouldn't. And I'm super glad about how Russia split the dance teams. Monko/Khaliavin getting two but not CoR was smart. Splitting B/S and I/K was even smarter. Well played.

7. Stunned that they didn't give V/T CoR. Whoa (and also, given my earlier comments, some crow might be headed my way!)

8. A little surprised that Canada might have seven teams on the SGP (assuming Dube/Wolfe get the SC TBA slot).

9. The only real surprise from the ladies is that France elected not to announce Meite yet. I mean, who are they kidding?

10. TEB is STACKED!!!! Holy freholy.

ETA

11. Sui/Han only have one spot. Would be interested to see the political maneuvering required for that one.

EATA

12. No Faiella/Scali.
    Last edited by ImaginaryPogue; 06-27-2011 at 07:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ImaginaryPogue View Post

3. Somewhat disappointed that Plushenko didn't return. I expect CoR at least, and it would've demonstrated his willingness to put his money where is mouth is.
    didnt he put his money regarding 2010 comeback? Maybe now he got afraid of Evan coming back
    I m not surprised not to see him in the list and anyway CoR has a TBA

I m surprised with Liebers, i thought I read in another thread he is seriously injured. And Brezina has 3 events, that makes up for last season

I just realised Not Daisuke, Kozuka or Hanyu on TEB

Tripping on the Podium
    Wondering why Myriane Samsom was not chosen for at least one GP assignment..has she retired? I haven't heard/read anything about her..

Quote Originally Posted by Joesitz View Post

The GPs are a major international figure skating contest. Each invitee will get to skate 4 programs at 2 different sites. Some competitors will be permitted to skate 5 programs at 3 different sites and then choose their highest scores so that they will be in the coveted Finals.

I'm not sure if all this is in the interest of good sportsmanship. A new breed of Elite Skaters will be officially born at these games. Is fairness considered for the non elete skater?
    I agree. This is totally unfair. The essense of a sporting event is that the rules are the same for every competitor.

In the past, the skaters who had three events had to designate in advance which two events would be their "scoring events." The new rule is "best two out of three." Skaters who do three events will not have to contend with the unexpected bad day that can knock you out of the finals, or with the extra-tough technical caller and stingy judging panel, like all the other skaters will.

Still, not many skaters chose to go that route.

I believe the Elite skater for 3 GPs will be chosen to fill a withdrawal if there is one. Who will be chosen is a mystery. That skater has a huge advantage of making the Finals.

The thing is that while they made the spots less, they let skaters do 3 events, some are out and some have only one so they wont make it to GPF, i just noticed Armin has one assignment for example.

I didnt know that now they can choose what events to pick their marks from after they have skated there, thats not good.
    I m still thrilled for Brezina and the others , cause since ISU gave them this option why not? but that sounds unfair indeed.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast