Kim to skip Grand Prix Series again | Golden Skate

Kim to skip Grand Prix Series again

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Reigning Olympic figure skating champion Kim Yu-na has announced that she will skip the ISU Grand Prix Series for a second straight season, along with one of her closest Japanese rivals, Miki Ando, this year's world champion.

More

Apple Pi

Rinkside
I thought top skaters were required to compete in the GP if they are not injured or they face sanctions. No?

Krislite

Medalist
^Since when? Which skater(s) have ever been fined/reprimanded for skipping the Grand Prix?

kwanatic

Check out my YT channel, Bare Ice!
Record Breaker
I figured as much. If she's smart (which she is) she's learned from her mistake of not debuting at 4CC and she'll do 4CC as a warm-up before heading to worlds...

The way is cleared for the Russian babies to take over! This season is going to be very exciting! :)

mikiandorocks

Final Flight
I hope Kim to carry on competing. Nevertheless I'm not sad with her choice of skipping the GP. Last season was a bit weird for her but she'll come back strong.
Kim and Ando absence's in the GP circuit may turn the events more exciting and it will be interesting to see who will be able to make a statement. It will be a chance for some other skaters to medal and to dream about making it to the GPF.

miki88

Medalist
I figured as much. If she's smart (which she is) she's learned from her mistake of not debuting at 4CC and she'll do 4CC as a warm-up before heading to worlds...

Doubtful. She only attended that event once in her career. But I think she'll be at worlds if only to secure spots for her federation. But yeah, her decision to skip the GP and Miki's as well isn't a big surprise since they have hinted at them for a while.

Jtsmith12

On the Ice
So are there going to be no Korean skaters competing on the grand prix circut ? Really hoped that Yu Na and Miki would compete. I really enjoyed seeing both of them at worlds. Well I still get to see Mao so it's all good =] Hopefully she'll have a much better season.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
To be honest i'm glad there will be no Kim or Ando on the GP this year. Time for some new blood heading into Sochi. I really don't want to see Mao or Kostner or some of the other skaters that have been around the last 6, 7 years either at the next Olympics.

Krislite

Medalist
^Others feel differently. I like following a skater for a long time, seeing them grow and develop and mature over several Olympic cycles. Michelle Kwan went through about three Olympic quads, and her longevity was great. So was Irina's career. I'd prefer that over the brief appearance and disappearance of "new blood" like Sarah Hughes or Tara Lipinski.

But I do agree that Kim and Ando's withdrawal will give new skaters and new faces a chance to compete at the GP. And that's definitely a good thing.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
It's not like Kim or Asada have only been around for a couple years like Tara. Plus lets face it Michelle only stayed around as long as she did because she didn't win gold in Nagano or SLC. Some of the other skaters like Kostner and Ando have already been to a couple Olympics and i don't really want to see them at a 3rd.

Robeye

Final Flight
Doubtful. She only attended that event once in her career. But I think she'll be at worlds if only to secure spots for her federation. But yeah, her decision to skip the GP and Miki's as well isn't a big surprise since they have hinted at them for a while.

If past were always prologue, then the world would never come out of any recession (if we were looking only at the past several years), or alternatively the stock markets would be going up endlessly (if the reference point were the several years before that). Economists and financiers recognize that this is the basic potential weakness of predictive models that extrapolate from historical data points, particularly for relatively short periods, whether they be discounted cash flows or real estate values. And it is a social science truism that this problem becomes more severe at the micro end of the scale (eg in predicting the behavior of individuals) as compared to macro trends.

Further, while it is still not 100% confirmed that she will be at next year's Worlds, Yuna's latest public statements on the topic were that if she chose to participate at Worlds, it is likely that she would skate at another event prior to it (given her experience this year).

So I would suggest that the oddly confident and peremptory tone of your declaration of "doubtful" is conceptually misplaced as well as factually incorrect.

Based on the current evidence, I would think that "possible/probable" (again, assuming she decides to attend Worlds) is closer to the mark.

jaylee

Medalist
But I think she'll be at worlds if only to secure spots for her federation.

And you base this assumption about her motivation on what? A wish to portray Yu-Na as a skater who "only" skates to secure spots for her federation?

miki88

Medalist
Robeye, your posts always amuse me. You're right in saying past is not always prologue but then there is a great tendency to for history to repeat itself. This is a disussion far too serious for figure skating, I believe. But then I do wonder if there is a big difference between "doubtful" and "probable"? Both words suggest uncertainty. It's just the latter is to a lesser degree than the former. :think:

And you base this assumption about her motivation on what?

Base on the fact that her federation needs her to skate in order to secure spots since none of her teammates is currently up to task for it and that she takes her responsibility as a leader quite seriously as evidenced by her hard work campaigning for the Olympic bid. I didn't mean she "only" skates for that one reason but that it could be the main factor driving her to continue competing. I don't see this as a slight against her. There's nothing wrong with being a responsible leader to a small federation.

Last edited:

jaylee

Medalist
I didn't mean she "only" skates for that one reason but that it could be the main factor driving her to continue competing.

Oh. Well, you did use the word "only." ;) Can you cite some evidence out of Yu-Na's own mouth to support the idea that it could be a "main factor"? If the factor is that important, I think she would've mentioned it when discussing the reasons for why she has continued to compete after the Olympics.

I don't see this as a slight against her. There's nothing wrong with being a responsible leader to a small federation.

Correct in that there's nothing wrong in skaters competing at Worlds and being aware that part of their responsibility in doing so is to secure spots at the next Worlds for their country, regardless of the size of the federation. If 3 spots hadn't been on the line, perhaps the controversy over Rachael Flatt competing at Worlds would be a non-controversy. Michelle Kwan was dedicated to competing at Worlds when others skipped and withdrew and certainly that was a reflection of her being aware of being a leader in skating for her country and taking that seriously.

But that's a different thing from saying that Michelle Kwan "only" skated to secure 3 spots, ignoring Michelle's love for skating, competing, personal goals, etc, that surely factored in her decision to be at those Worlds as well.

chloepoco

Medalist
Oh. Well, you did use the word "only." ;) Can you cite some evidence out of Yu-Na's own mouth to support the idea that it could be a "main factor"? If the factor is that important, I think she would've mentioned it when discussing the reasons for why she has continued to compete after the Olympics.

Correct in that there's nothing wrong in skaters competing at Worlds and being aware that part of their responsibility in doing so is to secure spots at the next Worlds for their country, regardless of the size of the federation. If 3 spots hadn't been on the line, perhaps the controversy over Rachael Flatt competing at Worlds would be a non-controversy. Michelle Kwan was dedicated to competing at Worlds when others skipped and withdrew and certainly that was a reflection of her being aware of being a leader in skating for her country and taking that seriously.

But that's a different thing from saying that Michelle Kwan "only" skated to secure 3 spots, ignoring Michelle's love for skating, competing, personal goals, etc, that surely factored in her decision to be at those Worlds as well.

Jaylee, I think you're being a little too sensitive; no need to analyze every word. Whatever the reasons for why she continues to skate, let's just all be happy that she still is skating.

Robeye

Final Flight
Robeye, your posts always amuse me. You're right in saying past is not always prologue but then there is a great tendency to for history to repeat itself. This is a disussion far too serious for figure skating, I believe. But then I do wonder if there is a big difference between "doubtful" and "probable"? Both words suggest uncertainty. It's just the latter is to a lesser degree than the former. :think:

Base on the fact that her federation needs her to skate in order to secure spots since none of her teammates is currently up to task for it and that she takes her responsibility as a leader quite seriously as evidenced by her hard work campaigning for the Olympic bid. I didn't mean she "only" skates for that one reason but that it could be the main factor driving her to continue competing. I don't see this as a slight against her. There's nothing wrong with being a responsible leader to a small federation.

While I provided a semi-satirical (but only semi) line of conceptual reasoning as courtesy, the point being made is that the notion that Yuna would not choose to participate in 4CCs next year because she's only done so once in the past is an example of implying causality where the correlation is on the face of it spurious at best (translation: you have not demonstrated why her motivations for not participating in the past are the same reasons she would not participate in the future. Surely you are not saying that she has some kind of blanket dislike or phobia about that event? It seems to me that the more common-sense explanation is that she had particular reasons for attending/not attending each event, based on the particular circumstances. And that she would make an assessment based on the (different) circumstances that exist as to whether she will participate in the next one). I am a great believer in statistical analysis, but a basic tenet is that data patterns only have predictive value if there is a logical hypothesis that explains causality.

And you are ignoring the factual point that Yuna herself stated that it is likely that she would skate in at least one other event if she decides to skate at Worlds next year. Another principle is that additional facts trump (the yet to be seen) hypothesis.

I will only add as food for thought that the difference between "doubtful" and "probable" is the difference between staying dry under an umbrella and raincoat, and being drenched almost daily during the rainy season. If you tried this as an experiment for a month, I'm confident you would see what I'm talking about.

Krislite

Medalist
While it's rare in the modern era for a ladies Olympic champion to continue with competition, it's not unheard of and there can be pretty selfish reasons for doing so. Last season Yuna went through a pretty difficult mix of circumstances, from her Olympic letdown followed by the acrimonious split with her long-time coach, to relocating her training base and then motivating and preparing herself for competition just several months after her Olympic victory. Because of this I imagine she had some highly mixed feelings about competition and she herself recently admitted to struggling with motivation while training for Worlds. So it comes across in public and in competition that she's not fully 100% competition-committed, but I think she's mostly past that. I believe we'll get a much clearer sense of what future goals she wants to achieve and what is motivating her next season.

If Yuna is competing for non-selfish reasons, it's not for the abstract goal of winning "spots". She definitely cares about and does a lot to support the young Korean skaters who look up to her and are the future of Korean figure skating. Among the many things she's been seriously working hard towards is getting an ice rink built just for figure skating training, because it's still pretty bad for figure skaters in Korea despite her recent success.