Interesting Article/Interview with N. Morozov | Golden Skate

Interesting Article/Interview with N. Morozov

dwiggin3

Final Flight
There is a very interesting interview of N. Morozov on the Ice Network front page. I can't put the link here but I'm sure we all know the web address.

The part about the Japanese skaters not appreciating his efforts or understanding how much he has done for them - is this referring to the skaters themselves or just the Federation?

I wonder if he'll be stretched too thin to really properly mentor each skater and if we'll see a string of programs that all look the same. IIRC, this was the case with the men a few years back, and to lesser degree, some of the top ladies.

Feel free to correct any misconceptions I might have!

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
I read that interview yesterday and thought there were many points that would make for interesting discussions.

I think he stretches it a bit too far in claiming credits for Takahashi's success and therefore for all subsequent success of Japanese skaters through inspiration. Wouldn't all credits go to Midori Ito instead as far as inspiration is concerned? Or other pioneers and role models such as Honda, Sato, and Arakawa? Morozov praises his loyal students but isn't too generous toward skaters who left him, such as Ripon, whether or not there is some truth in what he has to say.

I am sure his attitude toward Miki's skating will displease some fans though one can't argue with success, her competition success at least. He is so confident in his COP choreography that he is nonchalant, able to do fast and copious numbers in short order. I have to weigh my own distaste for some of his work against, again, competition success. (Amodio didn't even get any deduction at Worlds for all his gyrating in place to vocal music.) Contrast Morozov's fast work to Lori Nichol's work with World Champion Patrick Chan, which takes about 10 intense days plus future tweaking or sometimes major reworking.

Morozov wears his ego on his sleeve.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
1. He's referring to the federtion, I think. Given that Takahashi has gone out of his way to praise him consistently, for him to comment otherwise would be balatantly false and beyond egocentric.

2. Given how quickly he makes the programs (he said he spent more time with Ando's exhibition than her long, and that he doesn't bother trying anything new with her because if she lands the jumps, she'll win)

3. It's worth pointing out that if you land the quads and fall elsewhere, you can still beat skaters who don't land quads (Brezina beat Amodio, for example - a fact that he neglects to mention in his defense of a quadless Amodio, interestingly enough).

4. Truthfully, the only skaters in his team I really admire are Cappellini/Lanotte.

5. Yeah, his comments about Rippon are telling.

blue dog

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan!
Record Breaker
He makes it sound like Adam is the male version of Nicole Bobek.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
Adam is definitely more disciplined than Nicole Bobek but all of his coaching changes is very reminiscent of Sasha Cohen.

They both leave longtime coach for a Russian (Rippon-->Morosov, Cohen-->Tarasova), after a year and a half that doesn't work out and they both change mid-season to a newly popular North American coach (Rippon-->Brian Orser, Cohen-->Robin Wagner), and then that doesn't work out so they change again to something close to home (Rippon-->goes to Michigan, which is in the Midwest relatively close to where he grew up, Cohen-->goes back to John Nicks).

His ego and candor make him a great interview subject.

I thought his attitude to Rippon & the 3A was interesting - "just wait, it takes time." This season will be important for Rippon.

Amodio with a quad or two could make things interesting for Patrick. As I posted elsewhere a while back, Amodio is the only one I see coming up who can do that unless Dornbush (such a strong competitor) is able to develop both technically and artistically with remarkable speed. Amodio has that "it factor" -- even if I truly disliked what he did in the FP this year, I wanted to keep watching.

He doesn't mince words about Gachinski. And I agree with what was said above - in his comments on the Japanese men he goes too far. I like his attitude toward Miki. That kind of confidence must help her relax. And he turned out to be right, after all.

seniorita

Record Breaker
All nice and well, but I think Daisuke would have shined under any coach.
I dont like what he says about Takahashi and Rippon, all and all he praises his students and critisizes his ex students, in general I dont like coaches talking like that in public for their current or ex students, at least he should respect the professional relationship they had had.

To be fair, he did call Rippon a "great skater," which is more than I would have done. I'll try to see what he's talking about.

seniorita

Record Breaker
^ I just dont like he refers to his ex students to make a point how good did the ones who d better stay with him (Amodio).

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
I think Morozov was feeling a little but of "i told you so" towards Adam, and in reality, for all the coaching changes, Adam has not gone much farther than he did with Morozov. Yes, a win at 4CC was impressive and he has done some great skates, but the big picture is still a big question mark.

I don't know exactly what Morozov wants from the Japanese fed? prize money? to become a national idol like Brian Orser was in Korea? His skaters did well, great, what is the man expecting. And I love how he boasts that Takahasi won his world silver under him when he didn't become world champion until after he left Morozov. How come he didn't mention that?

LuCN

Rinkside
His ego and candor make him a great interview subject.
Amodio with a quad or two could make things interesting for Patrick. As I posted elsewhere a while back, Amodio is the only one I see coming up who can do that unless Dornbush (such a strong competitor) is able to develop both technically and artistically with remarkable speed. Amodio has that "it factor" -- even if I truly disliked what he did in the FP this year, I wanted to keep watching.

Amodio won't beat Chan or Kozuka or Dai if he doesn't leave Morozov.
yes,his jump skills improved,but he has lost most of his "It factor" with Morozov,left only weird programs.

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
Contrast Morozov's fast work to Lori Nichol's work with World Champion Patrick Chan, which takes about 10 intense days plus future tweaking or sometimes major reworking.
Well, when Trankov talks about his work with Nikolai, he emphasizes the time that went into work - http://ptichkafs.livejournal.com/52107.html:
By the way, Nikolai never holds on to completed work if he feels it wasn’t done right. When Tanya and I first came to him, we weren’t really a team and didn’t really understand what to do. Morozov worked with us at Novogorsk during the nights. He’d show Tanya her part skating as her partner, then showed me my part, and then put us together – and we wouldn’t be able to repeat anything. That went on for quite some time; when we finally did it right and even squealed with delight over it, Kolya hummed and said it’s not right and the whole piece needed to be redone.

champs

Final Flight
I suppose his bitterness with Japanese Skating Fed stems from JSF's neglect of Daisuke Murakami when he wasn't allowed to compete in a JGP upon their arrival to the event venue, turning out that JSF failed to submit a form to ISU in time, and probably also from JSF's way of treating Miki as I vaguely recall that JSF announced in public that they didn't accept Miki's request of withdrawl from DOI due to injury and ordered her to submit a more proper diagnosis from the doctor she was seeing while training in the US, and that Miki has more recently mentioned in her interview that she had been neglected by JSF when she needed them. I also recall Morozov spitting out his complaints about Takahashi's manager not ordering his new pair of skates in time as Morozov had requested prior to 2008 Worlds, but this may be a problem just between Morozov and Takahashi's manager and not between him and JSF. I don't know JSF's take on any of these so I never know how objective and truthful any of these are, and I can't say I remember these precissely, but I suppose there were many things that happened between Morozov and JSF that we don't know about that somehow pissed him off.

Dragonlady

Final Flight
Morosov has fallen out of favour with the Japanese federation and they will not be sending any more skaters to him. They have suggested in the strongest terms to Miki that she should leave Morosov but she refuses. It's not surprising that Morosov is bitter about this situation.

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
And I love how he boasts that Takahasi won his world silver under him when he didn't become world champion until after he left Morozov. How come he didn't mention that?

Well, the silver was a great achievement and really brought Takahashi to the attention of the judges, I would say. Anyway, Takahashi did not win the Worlds at once as he left Morozov, did he?

evangeline

Record Breaker
Anyway, Takahashi did not win the Worlds at once as he left Morozov, did he?

Yes, he sort of did. Takahashi left Morozov in May 2008, didn't compete in the following 2008-2009 season due to injuries, and won 2010 Worlds the season after that (i.e. the first season Takahashi competed in after he left Morozov). But to be fair to Morozov, I do agree with your point that Morozov helped bring Takahashi into the spotlight. I'm fairly ambivalent about the Phantom of the Opera LP he won world silver with, but Morozov's Techno Swan Lake really brought Takahashi lots of attention from crowds, commentators and judges alike.