News on Jason Brown's upcoming programs and his triple axel | Golden Skate

News on Jason Brown's upcoming programs and his triple axel

Serious Business

Record Breaker
Some of this is covered in the new programs thread, but more details here. To summarize:

Jason Brown's new SP will be set to Grand Guignol by Bajofondo (listen to it here).

The LP will be done to "Flow Like Water" from The Last Airbender soundtrack (listen to it here)

The LP will be choreographed by Rohene Ward (yay!), possibly the SP, too?

Brown's progress on the triple axel is hampered by the 3-inch growth spurt he has had since US nationals. But he promises to attempt it in every competition from now on.

My take:

"Grand Guignol" sounds like it could be a fine piece of tango music on the part of the acoustic instruments, but the maddening repetitive and clichéd techno beat kills it. And it's going to sound pretty weird and bad with the echoing in some of the arenas. Still, I don't think I've seen Brown skate to music this dramatic and intense before, so I look forward to it.

"Flow Like Water" is utterly generic movie music (no surprise as it's from one of the worst movies ever made). It's really not that hard to suggest the sound and quality of water in orchestral music, but James Howard Newton couldn't Handel that. The blog entry promises that the shape and flow of water will be incorporated into the choreography. But I'm not sure how effective that will be since the music doesn't service that at all. Still, Ward is a very talented choreographer, and with Brown, I'm sure they can make magic happen.

I hope he nails that 3axel down. And then gets a quad. And then wins every competition in sight. :thumbsup:

Jason Brown dances on Ice. His elements are just dance steps- not tricks. There is no posing in his routines. His speed is totally musical and it never stops to pause. His arms flow with the music without overselling. His carriage is that of a dancer more than a skater. Unique is the word that almost describes his talent. That talent at his age is formidable.

How that kind of skating fits in the competitive world, remains to be seen. Rohene should be pleased

I believe extraordinary talent in one art form is part of the makeup of the whole person, and lends itself to other art forms. He is a performing artist that could easily develop as an actor, dancer, singer.

just wondering

On the Ice
Agree with both posts. Jason is certainly a very special skater. Perhaps the music choices will seem better once we see the programs assembled and performed, not that they are horrific, by any measure. For me, Jason's work can overcome musical deficiencies and still be an amazing performance. Can't wait to see these two programs come together!

shine

Record Breaker
He's probably one of the few singles skaters that can keep me interested in the sport now. Can't wait to see his programs for next season!!

emma

Record Breaker
I saw Jason skate for the first time this year - US Nationals (on tv). It was a huge huge huge pleasure to watch him skate and I was truly so excited for him and then to learn that Rohene Ward is part of his team, well, that made it even better. I love Joe's description of him - couldn't agree more. I cannot wait to see what he does this year, hope he can deal with the growth spurt, and wish him the very very best.

mskater93

Record Breaker
He usually does the Chicago Open (last weekend of July). If he is there while I am there, I will report back on how his program(s) look.

gmyers

Record Breaker
It's certainly news that he will try the 3A at every compeition. That's important. You can't do something if you don't try it. And this is something that is needed. It's not an option. I just think of Rippon and winning world junior title without 3A but it may have worked out for him if he had tried it even if he lost. I know that at some JR GP events last season I was impressed with his non-jumping skills but jumps are a must and necessary and the 3A just mandatory. Then there is a 4T as the next step.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Let him get the 3A first. He's only 16 plenty of time to get a quad later on. If he grew 3 inches that's something he needs to get used to with the added height.

My list of potental skaters since 199? includes Weir, Lambiel, Buttle, Rippon, Brezina and now BROWN.

Lambiel won 2 Worlds, Buttle 1. Rippon and Brezina are still in the running but I think the newbees will overtake them. I don't know what happened to Weir. He did get a Worlds bronze, but he went all askew.

It's not easy for lyrical (musical) skaters to win over the more 'butch' style.

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
I enjoy Jason´s skating as it looks now, but will wait to show big enthusiasm only after he makes the major senior competitions. That means he has to have all jumps and needs to be consistent. Until then he is (just) a junior skater with potential. Jason also has a lot of competition among his US peers, will he ever make the podium in Nationals? That remains to be seen, I hope that he does.... So far I have seen male and female junior (and young senior) skaters with lots of potential who did not really make it in senior world.

Last edited:

babyskate

On the Ice
I saw Jason at Nationals and he really knows how to captivate an audience. This quality goes along with excellent technique. I believe that Roehne and Jason can make the most of his musical selections in what will probably be an interesting season for him pending the triple axel. What I find great is that he has received so much positive attention on this site with two threads dedicated to him since Nationals. I feel he deserves all the attention and praise and cannot wait to see his new programs. He is the future of figure skating for me.

mskater93

Record Breaker
Jason's always had that magnetic quality to his skating, even when he was very young and in prejuvenile/juvenile. If his coach can't get the 3A with him, she's comfortable enough in her relationship with Jason to send him to a technical coach to get it sorted out. There's a great jump technician in the area who's working with quite a few skaters who have phenomenal jumping technique ::cough, cough, Gracie Gold, triple+triple, cough, cough:: that is a possibility.