Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast

Thread: Japan Open

Custom Title
    I love Gachinsky's program and the way he's coming out of his shell, artistically.
    Me too I was so drawn to this choreograph, especially the move that starts around 2:35 to 2:40 ish, that I repeatedly watched it.
    I guess this will be one of the masterpiece of Dickson. Really excellent work.
    Like commentator Yuka said, I want Gachinsky to work on the basic skating more so that he can get longer/smoother glides.
    If he gets that, this program will surely give me many many many goose bumps

Custom Title
    Oy, Miki. Poor kid. She stepped on the ice like a scared abused child forced to do something she was afraid of and not wanting to do. A bad day for whatever reason, physical or emotional, and she did not belong there. If this were a school concert, I'd be the adult to keep her off the stage but here she had to "perform", and be watched globally.

I hope she has felt better since then.

leave no stone unturned seniorita's Avatar
    I just saw the Amodio program and I wish someone had warned me.

What worries me is that he seems to like it, thats scary. He has personality and attitude that i ike and I dont want to see him skate to Rachmaninof but that been said it is hard to believe this is not to be a cheesy exhibition, a bad one actually. Maye it is NOT his actual long? I deny to think i ll be watching this program the whole season.

Custom Title
    I still can't watch Amodio but I have seen a gif I don't want to ever see again. His performance and costume have been virtually universally panned, even regretably by his fans. But if I had "warned" anybody here, I would have received worse reactions than he!

eta. It seems Gachinski and Amodio are going into opposite directions. Gachinski is ditching his negative and expanding his positive while Amodio goes further into the territory everybody has been concerned and worried about. It's like he is determined to test his limits and see exactly how much he can get away with.
    Last edited by SkateFiguring; 10-03-2011 at 07:10 PM.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by SkateFiguring View Post
    Aranjuez...reflecting the composer's own life's moments of happiness and remorses.
    A teenager reflecting his own life will not be convincing, so it demands a "mature" look from the performer. A natural swagger (like Daisuke Takahashi) will not be able to hide his assertiveness completely from his movements, so just that little bit of natural subtle swagger (as if from someone that has seen it all), in my opinion, would translate into "maturity" required by the music in a way that does not look like acting at all.

Custom Title
    1. I didn't mind Miki's program, actually. It's not a thriller or anything, but I can imagine it being quite beautiful if skated clean with passion.

2. Amodio... whoa. Okay, now I'm convinced that Morosov's goal is to ensure that there's no French man on the podium by Sochi, because this program will set him back MASSIVELY.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by ImaginaryPogue View Post
    2. Amodio... whoa. Okay, now I'm convinced that Morosov's goal is to ensure that there's no French man on the podium by Sochi, because this program will set him back MASSIVELY.
    Maybe Morozov didn't count on Amodio's participation in JO and getting early feedback. Maybe now Amodio realizes something has to change with the massive negative reactions he receives. Maybe he has the same rebellious mindset as at Worlds 2011 and will stick up a finger to all.

Risa Shoji, Hacha Cha Cha (this year's SP)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A4KcwsSKbW4

Quote Originally Posted by seniorita View Post
    I just saw the Amodio program and I wish someone had warned me.

What worries me is that he seems to like it, thats scary. He has personality and attitude that i ike and I dont want to see him skate to Rachmaninof but that been said it is hard to believe this is not to be a cheesy exhibition, a bad one actually. Maye it is NOT his actual long? I deny to think i ll be watching this program the whole season.
    I'm sorry dear. I should have said something. A friend of ours also tried to watch JO stuff and pretty much gave up on the whole thing after seeing what Amodio was up to!

Amodio... whoa. Okay, now I'm convinced that Morosov's goal is to ensure that there's no French man on the podium by Sochi, because this program will set him back MASSIVELY.
    Strangely, I wouldn't put it past Morozov - maybe not the conspiratorial stuff, but working with a skater and knowing his programs are not going to do him any favors. He's choreographed for Joubert in the past and in 2006, he told a reporter shortly before the games that Brian would not do well at the Olympics (source). One would think that he'd try and help a skater in that situation and make sure he had a program that would work for him, right? Whether by making necessary changes or by reviving an old program (as Joubert eventually did, but too late). But he didn't. Can't say I'm impressed with that sort of approach. He encouraged Amodio to skate to music with lyrics at Worlds, which was stupid, pointless, and likely won't do him any favors in the long-term. And now this.

But it's also very possible that Morozov just has poor taste, as can be seen from many of the programs he's choreographed. It's not like the Russian skaters he has are getting great material. Conceptually, Amodio's program reminds me a bit of the crap he had Javier Fernandez skating last season. Javi wised up and left; maybe Florent will, too? Because Amodio is such a talent, and he needs a choreographer who will play to his strengths; instead Morozov has given him a paint by numbers SP (Once Upon a Time in Mexico), a stop and pose LP (Michael Jackson) and now this tacky mess. Florent can do much better, as we saw in the Olympic year. He needs to be rescued before Morozov wrecks his competitive career.

leave no stone unturned seniorita's Avatar
    me too. It must be RF conspiracy along with Morosov to destroy every opponent by Sochi! (joke)

Actually while I didnt like much his programs last season (the sp had such ugly costume I couldnt like it and the Lp..I had MJ overdose last year), but I didnt mind them, they were different from the olympic season, showed Amodio had another side, the showman blah blah, he became more confident and stable,so now he managed all that last year and his season went very well, what the point of making a similar program again but much much worse?? I dont want everybody to skate to serious kind of programs, but thats shocking wrong.

Plus his sp for Leonova is a bad recycle of Javier's. If i were her I would ask my money back.

Medalist
    I have to say,after watch all the videos several times,my favourite is Jeff's...although his jumps are poor....

I expect more from Daisuka,he choose a style not very "him",but a bit jeffrey buttle or lambiel are good at,now it not very good,but it may become a masterpiece

for Chan,I love his costume cause I love spanish costumes,it remains me lambiel's Poeta and Joubert's Malaguena. the program need to be polished,his performance need to be learn more and of course the tech part. one thing I'm happy that his movement,especially his arm and hands pose become more softer,much better than before.I once thought he use this kind of music will be a disaster,but now it seems so so.

Gachinsky's LP seems not that good compare to the russian test skate...maybe just for me...

I'm a little dissapointed for Kozuka's new LP...and amodio..I think I won't pay attention to him until he leaves Morozov....

Quote Originally Posted by FTnoona View Post
    Did Hanyu perform 2 programs or one? Does anyone have a full clip of his programs at COI? I can only find a cut one on youtube. Thanks :D
    I think it may just be me, but I think Tut exists her jumps a bit weird like she tilts forward or something. Other than that she was great.
    seems COI 10.2's broadcast not fullversion,maybe we should wait for 10.23's BS version~
    Last edited by LuCN; 10-04-2011 at 02:33 AM.

Custom Title
    My suggestions for Takahiko Kozuka:

1. He should ditch his new LP. The beginning slow part was actually not bad, but as the music turned faster and the beats clearer, he was "exposed" for lacking a dance-like feel the music gave. He became disconnected with the music, and his movements turned awkward. I don't think there is a quick fix for him. If he is aiming for a medal in this year's World Championships, he needs to ditch that program immediately and go back to last season's LP that had worked wonders for him, that is champion-worthy, and that could potentially beat Chan if he has a bad skate. If Chan can keep his wonderful Take-Five, why can't Kozuka keep his beautiful Liszt Piano Concerto? Minor changes can be made to his Liszt program to improve PCS and other scoring potentials.
    2. For his competition programs, he should never pick music that has obvious rhythm or beats like Soul Man (last year's SP). Bad, bad choice. Hasn't he realized that his PCS goes down as the beats get clearer? He should pick something that showcases his soft, light, smooth, somewhat naturally lyrical qualities in his skate.

Bad choice of music. What a waste of his medal potential!
    Last edited by skatinginbc; 10-04-2011 at 09:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by skatinginbc View Post
    My suggestions for Takahiko Kozuka:

1. He should ditch his new LP. The beginning slow part was actually not bad, but as the music turned faster and the beats clearer, he was "exposed" for lacking a dance-like feel the music gave. He became disconnected with the music, and his movements turned awkward. I don't think there is a quick fix for him. If he is aiming for a medal in this year's World Championships, he needs to ditch that program immediately and goes back to last season's LP that had worked wonders for him, that is champion-worthy, and that could potentially beat Chan if he has a bad skate. If Chan can keep his wonderful Take-Five, why can't Kozuka keep his beautiful Liszt Piano Concerto? Minor changes can be made to his Liszt program to improve PCS and other scoring potentials.
    2. For his competition programs, he should never pick music that has obvious rhythm or beats like Soul Man (last year's SP). Bad, bad choice. Hasn't he realized that his PCS goes down as the beats get clearer? He should pick something that showcases his soft, light, smooth, somewhat naturally lyrical qualities in his skate.

Bad choice of music. What a waste of his medal potential!
    Basically what you're suggesting is that Kozuka specifically, and skaters in general, should stick to a narrow artistic range, avoid pushing themselves to trying new forms of musical expression, and take as few risks on the artistic side as possible - basically, find a program that works and stick with it, or get new programs as similar to it as possible. And concern themselves mostly with getting points and not in becoming better skaters.

Well, then. I think that's a recipe for some very boring skating. I'd rather see an interesting failure than people coming out and doing the same thing over and over again.

p.s. Kozuka at his best should be able to beat Chan even without the latter having a bad skate.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
    Basically what you're suggesting is that Kozuka specifically, and skaters in general, should stick to a narrow artistic range, avoid pushing themselves to trying new forms of musical expression, and take as few risks on the artistic side as possible - basically, find a program that works and stick with it, or get new programs as similar to it as possible. And concern themselves mostly with getting points and not in becoming better skaters.
    Kozuka specifically, but not skaters in general.

Different skaters have different priorities or goals, so there will always be different strategies--never get boring!!! For skaters like Brian Jubert and Evgeni Plushenko who had won the gold, and for intermediate or new-to-the-scene skaters that are still trying to find their own styles, experimenting various music shall be encouraged.

I would like to see Kozuka win a gold medal some day, so I wish his priority is to WIN. He certainly can and should explore other music with his exhibition programs (but not his competitive programs).

My post explicitly stated "My suggestions for Kozuka", so there is no need for you to overgeneralize it to "skaters in general".
    Last edited by skatinginbc; 10-04-2011 at 07:31 AM.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
    p.s. Kozuka at his best should be able to beat Chan even without the latter having a bad skate.
    I'm not saying it won't happen as I rate Kozuka to be a very good skater and he sure has the ability to beat Chan, but wasn't Kozuka at his best in his last World LP?

Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast