Japan Open | Golden Skate

Japan Open

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Teams' Members.

Note worthy: Plushenko, Rochette, and Buttle are in the line-ups.

Mens are exciting with Chan, Kozuka, Takahashi, and Plushenko.

Among the participants are two reigning and 3 former World Champions. Almost all are current or former World medalists.

Japan: Ando, Suzuki, Kozuka, Takahashi.

N. America: Czisney, Rochette, Chan, Buttle.

Europe: Korpi, Meier, Plushenko, Gachinski.

Last edited:
I'm not sure what the Japan Open is all about. Is it about a team of 4 Japanese skaters against a team of 4 N.American skaters, and 4 European skaters? Are there individual winners?,

Has Meier agreed to come out of retirement?

What are the dates of this Open? It would seem long trips to and from and then on to GPs.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Joe, Japan Open is an invitational event, taking place Oct.1 this year and consisting of 3 teams - Japan, Europe, and North America. It's a Singles event with 2 Ladies and 2 Men in each team. I think it is a showcase for Japan to flaunt their strangth in Singles :biggrin: and maybe there will be Pairs and Ice Dance when Japan has great skaters in those disciplines. :) It's also nice to have some retired and undecided skaters taking part and it's especially nice that there are very attractive cash prizes to be won. Plushenko was there last year and Rippon did the best of all Men, raising the hope and hype which then fizzled out over the ISU season.

Besides the competition, there are guest skaters and Carnival On Ice at the same event.

It's like a Japan Pro-Am. What I don't get is why it is called Japan Open when it is invitational. :think:

Czisny and Kozuka will have a couple of weeks before going to Skate America (Oct.21 -23).

I am interested to see new programs unveiled.

Last edited:
Thanks for starting this thread, SkateFiguring.

This will be an interesting competition. I assume that the skaters who will be competing in the Grand Prix will show their programs.

Do you know what has become of the ISU team championship? There was some talk that they would try to hold that some time in the fall.

SkateFiguring - Thanks for the date. I do think it is too close to the SA if not the SC, although I am a firm believer that an athlete enters a competition knowing full well what problems he may face.

The Open has a limited number of entrants, and the round trip travel distance will be arduous. I presume the Japanese Fed are paying the skaters a stipend aside from the podium prizes.

I think the skaters concerned will not show their new programs until their GP and even then only if they are ready.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
The Open has a limited number of entrants, and the round trip travel distance will be arduous. I presume the Japanese Fed are paying the skaters a stipend aside from the podium prizes.

I am sure all participants get paid, with the biggest prize going to the winning team.

I think the skaters concerned will not show their new programs until their GP and even then only if they are ready.

Au contraire, this is an opportunity to test their new programs in front of judges before the real competitions of the new ISU season.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
Joe, Joannie Rochette debuted her Samson and Delilah LP their during the Olympic season, and we also saw Asada's LP as well.

I'm more curious about Rochette's fitness.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Promotional videos ("thorough introduction") with lots of previous years' playbacks :

Japan Open 2011 1/3

Japan Open 2011 2/3

Japan Open 2011 3/3 (Soundless)

They are pretty gleeful in declaring Team Japan's wins most years. :)

Mao's jumps seem bigger than Kozuka's in an earlier year. :jaw:

And Plushenko 's participation last year is called "The Emperor Returns". :biggrin:

Last edited:
Joe, Joannie Rochette debuted her Samson and Delilah LP their during the Olympic season, and we also saw Asada's LP as well.

I'm more curious about Rochette's fitness.
Well, what are there 8 skaters? and only 2 showed their new LP at this event? Let's not get expectations too high. There could be strategy in showing it at GPs.

Anyway, I'm more curious about whether we will see this competition on TV? or will we have to rely on the goodness of strangers to submit youtubes?

mskater93

Record Breaker
Rippon showed off his new LP program last year (it was his best outing of the season) and his super-high score in the Men's event was much murmurred about (ooo, is it Adam's year?).
If the skater is on the GP, they will be using whatever programs they are training for the season because it doesn't make sense to train an additional set of programs just for JO. If a skater is a "pro" like Meier or Buttle, they will skate whatever strikes their fancy to help their team out.

NHK will probably televise it. ;) In the US, you will probably have to rely on the goodness of people with NHK to post youtube vids.

let`s talk

Match Penalty
NHK? I thought it would be TV Tokyo/テレビ東京 since they advertise the event. Not that it matters much for me. I'll be watching in the arena. :yay:

I wonder what Plush will skate. He said the programs are currently not ready at all. Also he has been through two painful operations just recently.

No one is going to see this competition unless they are Japanese or happen to be in Tokyo.

I'm sure the 'invitees' received the all expensive trip expenses plus a hefty amount for accepting the Invitation. As for Plushenko, unless he has some sort of health insurance, this competition will pay his hospital expenses.

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
Wow, no reigning Olympic man's champion, but have reigning Olympic silver and bronze medalists?!;)

let`s talk

Match Penalty
No one is going to see this competition unless they are Japanese or happen to be in Tokyo.
Actually, it will be in Saitama. It's not far from Tokyo but still.
I'm sure the 'invitees' received the all expensive trip expenses plus a hefty amount for accepting the Invitation. As for Plushenko, unless he has some sort of health insurance, this competition will pay his hospital expenses.
You make it sound like as if he has some debts.

It must be some pleasure for some people to count somebody else's money.

lcd

Match Penalty
Japan Open seems like the precedent or model for the series that Scott Hamilton is trying to get going. Anyone know if any updates on that event? If I recall correctly, the proposal was for an event on each of the major 'skating continents' which would mean an event somewhere in "North America" Would be positive for the sport to see a televised, well attended event during a non Olympic year

russell30

Final Flight
What day is the event?

Also will it be on the internet to watch live and be available for people in Europe.

Glad to See Sarah Meier will be there, because I miss her already....

SigureFkate

Spectator
Yay, my first post!!

Japan Open will be held at Saitama Super Arena in Saitama, Japan.
It will start at 1:00 p.m. on Oct. 1, 2011.

It's kind of like an ice show with judges. The skaters will likely skate their new or current programs, which will be judged.
The scores will then be added for each team, and the team with the highest score wins.

Although it's a competition, the atmosphere is more laid-back and fun.
All the skaters sit together in the arena and cheer for their teammates.

The competition will be televised in Japan on tv-Tokyo, but I don't know when.

The same skaters will skate at Carnival on Ice, an ice show, at the same arena in the same evening.
You need a separate ticket for that show.

Binthere

On the Ice
How exciting for Japan to be hosting this event. I know that there have been numerous shows throughout Japan which have taken place over the summer. The competition aspect to this event, will hopefully, in some way, mark the full return of this proud nation to hosting international events. I wish them all the best for a glorious event!