Japan Open | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Japan Open

seniorita

Record Breaker
Arthur having the same TES with Chan, interesting...so Chan now is establishing 2 quads in the long, bravo!
Daisuke and Kozu had lower pcs:unsure:

Rochette s having the highest pcs:points:(<nice one this pic)
Ando...:no:
Csizny and Tuktamisheva are having same pcs, Leonova lower!
But the main point Elisaveta''s debut in seniors was :party:

koatcue

Medalist
Country
Russia
Yay! Liza...just WOW))) seriously, I didn't expect her to perform so good=)

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
Arthur having the same TES with Chan, interesting...so Chan now is establishing 2 quads in the long, bravo!
Daisuke and Kozu had lower pcs:unsure:

Rochette s having the highest pcs:points:(<nice one this pic)
Ando...:no:
Csizny and Tuktamisheva are having same pcs, Leonova lower!
But the main point Elisaveta''s debut in seniors was :party:

1. Gachinski is really staking a claim to being one of the top men, isn't he. He wants to show that the bronze wasn't a fluke. It'll be interesting to see him on the GP series and if Chan et al can stave him off (given that Chan had three falls, a missed combo, and a downgrade, I think he has some wiggle room. He definitely doesn't peak early in the season).

2. Poor Ando.
3. Someone over at FSU who saw the programs said that Gachinski seemed readier, and I can seem him deserving better PCS based on that (especially when you add that he has pretty phenomenal skating skills and a natural sense of movement).
4. Rochette.... wow. She skips competition for a year and still nails the triple lutz and lands the flip. Canada so desperately needs her to come back.
5. Go Czisny! Go Elizaveta!

seniorita

Record Breaker
I Didn't notice patrick had all that, then just in my opinion if you have 3 falls, a missed combo and a downgrade, the tes and mostly 84 pcs is too much, even for chan- like skating skills, honestly they don't do him any favor.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
I'd have to see the program to be sure to comment on PCS, but TES is basically unshakeable. If you fall on three elements, but nail the others and they are high level, you can make up for it (example: Chan's GOE on the 4-3 was 2.14 The GOE for the 3Lz (fall) was -2.10.)). Chan's TES here were eighteen points less than at Worlds, which shows just how much wiggle room a well structured COP program can have. And I should've said UR, not DG (< not << - slightly less harmful, but it doesn't change the point).

And even the structure of PCS scoring is designed to be apart from errors on elements, which makes it even worse.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
I think one reason the young Russians did so well was because they didn't do shows like the Japanese and Chan did during the short summer. Also, have the girls been doing the JGP which started earlier? I hope they don't fall to Rippon syndrome, i.e. peaking well too early.

Joannie had some real problem with her 2Lo<< worth 0.23 point after -2 and -3 GOE, accounting for her low TES. That shows how competitive she still is even technically.

Besides the falls on 3T and 3A, both fully rotated, Chan suffered from a rare 3Lz< and a non jump fall. As well, the GOE values on non-leveled step sequence were quite a bit lower than last year and I wonder if this is a ISU rule change. His program content, if well executed, has very high BV and the potential to score very high TES like last season, before a new quad to possibly be added late in the season.

Alissa had too many cheated jumps. So did Daisuke.

Last edited:

LuCN

Rinkside
I think one reason the young Russians did so well was because they didn't do shows like the Japanese and Chan did during the short summer. Also, have the girls been doing the JGP which started earlier? I hope they don't fall to Rippon syndrome, i.e. peaking well too early.

Joannie had some real problem with her 2Lo<< worth 0.23 point after -2 and -3 GOE, accounting for her low TES. That shows how competitive she still is even technically.

Besides the falls on 3T and 3A, both fully rotated, Chan suffered from a rare 3Lz< and a non jump fall. As well, the GOE values on non-leveled step sequence were quite a bit lower than last year and I wonder if this is a ISU rule change. His program content, if well executed, has very high BV and the potential to score very high TES like last season, before a new quad to possibly be added late in the season.

Alissa had too many cheated jumps. So did Daisuke.

Don't forget the Russians had a test comeptition this month.
I remember ISU seems cut the points on steps this summer.
Chan's new program still unpolished,it can be good,and can be bad,time will tell...I love the costume already though

I really don't like Daisuka and Kozuka‘s custume - -
Jeffrey Buttle is very expressive,though his tech part can't compare to others
Gach's new LP finally deserve the score he get,glad to see that.

and really sad for Miki... :(

Buttercup

Record Breaker
The two Russian ladies who competed have not been doing JGPs. Leonova hasn't been age-eligible for some time now; she hasn't competed as a junior since winning 2009 JW, and Liza is skating senior GPs this year. As for shows, if skaters feel they are a hindrance to their preparation, maybe they should limit their participation to keep things more manageable.

Personally, I'm not going to read too much into the results from a competition of this sort. As you noted, for Rippon it was the high point of the season, so who knows what might happen. You can look at some things (e.g. Chan still hasn't gotten the 3A under control, Amodio finally landed a 4S - more or less, the judges may not be willing to bail out Takahashi with the PCS for much longer) but on the whole, it's a competition I'll enjoy for the fun factor without considering it a serious indicator for the coming season.

Does anyone know what music Amodio is skating to and if Morozov still has him stopping and posing for a minute out of the LP?

DianaSelene

Medalist
The two Russian ladies who competed have not been doing JGPs. Leonova hasn't been age-eligible for some time now; she hasn't competed as a junior since winning 2009 JW, and Liza is skating senior GPs this year. As for shows, if skaters feel they are a hindrance to their preparation, maybe they should limit their participation to keep things more manageable.

:thumbsup:

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Skaters often do shows for good reasons. Chan needed to raise funds for training even if they involved traveling to and staying a long period at the other side of the globe, and the Japanese were doing more than usual this past summer as benefits events for the national disaster. Even the Japan Open is attractive to these skaters because of the nice prize money. It's an expensive sport, not just free entertainment for fans.

seniorita

Record Breaker
There were seasons that plenty eligible skaters used to tour the whole summer with COI, SOI or whatever and then went to competition season. Chan is hardly the only one who did 3-5 shows this summer, Amodio (lets say one) was touring all the post Olympic months until the start of previous season. The summer 2010 miki, mao, kozu etc did a plenty of shows.
ANyway i meant to say is that we dont need to find an excuse because a skater did not a good skate at the begin of season and it is just Japan Open, doesnt indicate much, as someone said Rippon won it last year and then we know how his season went.;)

.I love the costume already though

I really don't like Daisuka and Kozuka‘s custume - -

are there any photos?:)

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
There has been so much projection and assignment of motives and agenda to my commentaries and observations, and the staging of unnecessary protests and arguments. ( E.g. why would the highest scorer need an excuse?) I'm bringing this up because it seems to happen so much these days, not just here in this thread.

Japan Open is a fun competition which has no bearing whatsoever on the regular season. Some skaters pick up momentum over the season and some have to be careful to pace themselves. And we all know the ice is slippery. But JO offers some excitement of seeing some pro and some eligible elite skaters together, as well as an early peek at the new programs, still with their early season rawness. We also get to see how some up and comers perform against the seasoned champions, albeit in a much more relaxed atmosphere. These last two years, it has also been a rare opportunity to see Joannie show she's still got it. All in all, it's nice fix after the summer and before the GP season.

fairly4

Medalist
congratulations to the North American team for winning,
and to all participants.

good job, hope you enjoyed yourselves

DianaSelene

Medalist
I was most surprised at Takahashi's costume. It's so.... simple! :)
I'm just kind of used to him wearing quite ornate costumes. I wonder if it is his real costume or whether he will change it.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
I'm of course not sure if Dai will have a "real" costume for this LP but it would likely be on the simple side relative to last year's. This is a different, and refreshing, music and style from his Latin beats of late, which befit those loud costumes. I really like it and don't expect to see an ornate costume but then of course Dai may decide to shock me!

Kozuka's looks like it was inspired by Oda's costume from last season.

Black is in for the Men it seems. Here's a peek of what Patrick is wearing for the new LP.

Morning Glory

On the Ice
Does anyone know what music Amodio is skating to and if Morozov still has him stopping and posing for a minute out of the LP?

IIRC, he skated to Bésame mucho wearing this costume.
http://headlines.yahoo.co.jp/hl?a=20111001-00000016-spnavip-spo.view-000

Yep, he had some stop and pose parts like last year's MJ.

After posting, I rewatched his performance. His stop and dance ( not pose ) part is not bad as last year's, but I want to know what Amodio himself thinks about this program.

Last edited:

DianaSelene

Medalist
Tuktamysheva's red costume is really pretty. It's the first one she wore that I like. On the other hand, I'm not a fan of Chan's.