Caroline Zhang | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Caroline Zhang

janetfan

Match Penalty
Yes. But then again, so was Mirai.

Yea, but unless one has been totally unconscious Mirai has shown she can skate better.

Caroline just has to learn to do an acceptable senior level 2A before she can go forward.

It's getting there and happy to see such an improvement from Caroline.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Precisely. We know what Nagasu is capable of, and this event is a test more than anything. It is more than TWO MONTHS until the first GP.

Zhang has been making small steps, but her fans can take solace that she is not regressing further at least.

LeCygne

Final Flight
Also Mirai had been in Japan doing The Ice.. It's obvious the preparation was not there, but I'm sure she'll be ready for her first GP. Caroline's issues, on the other hand, run deeper than just a couple of daily run-throughs. I'm happy she landed the lutz (although mule-kicked and flutzed) and her 3f-2t could be great if she just has more confidence in it. I can't believe the axel is still that bad though.

feraina

Record Breaker
Thanks, Bob, for the link. I copy below comments I made in the Glacier Falls thread.

Caroline has definitely made improvements on speed, as well as conditioning (in her core strengths especially) -- though she did slow down in the second half of the FS, especially right after missing the second 3F, when she looked momentarily surprised and frustrated.

Considering how much extra weight she's carrying now compared to a couple years ago (while at the same height), the fact that she's skating a little faster means that she has actually improved a lot on speed. If she skated now like she used to, she should be moving half as fast! I mean that from a purely biophysical point of view, not intending to be mean or anything. If she could slim down a little, then the improvements she's made in speed & strength would be even more apparent to the eye.

Maybe most of that extra weight she's carrying now is muscle, but there is a different optimal body shape for each sport. That's why top athletes in boxing, swimming, and skating look completely different even if they are all very "fit" in their own way.

She's taking a year off school to focus on skating this year, so hopefully this means that she can really get into tippy top shape. She may be rather unlucky when it comes to genes, but I also remember she always had a sweet tooth and didn't do much off-ice training until very recently.

lcd

Match Penalty
Seems USFS is hoping for the same as they have conspicuously voted to give her the benefit of the doubt with the SA slot even before any of the summer events took place.

Reginald

Match Penalty
What Caroline needs to do is a seven triple program again. Why are skaters so reluctant to put seven triples in their programs these days?

^ For sure. To do a seven triple program you have to do a triple-triple (or at least a 2A-triple) combo. The CoP pretty much takes the 3T-3T out of play, so you have to do a fairly hard triple-triple -- and not under-rotate the second jump!

herios

Medalist
What Caroline needs to do is a seven triple program again. Why are skaters so reluctant to put seven triples in their programs these days?

She can't do them anymore. if you have not observed her body changed dramatically the last two years.

mskater93

Record Breaker
She's having a hard enough time rotating all her jumps to begin with (much less taking off from the correct edge).

feraina

Record Breaker
I think she could potentially do 7 again if she does a 3R-2A seq, and brings 3S and 3T back.

But obviously she's been focusing on reworking her 3 harder triples lately, as well as the 2A. Maybe when those are more solid, she can focus more on 3S and 3T.

Last edited:

christinaskater

Medalist
I have a friend with the same body type of Caroline and she really did intensive pilates and Physique 57, super disciplined diet and she changed her body type-she became very swan like. I didn't know it was possible but she said she really disciplined herself. I think Caroline should also give a go on more pilates.

Sylvia

Record Breaker
When was the last time she did one [7-triple FS]?
April 2009 World Team Trophy in Japan, I believe.

Caroline now is scheduled to compete at her home club's Golden West Championships (Labor Day weekend), which is the week after Champs Camp.

PolymerBob

Record Breaker
Caroline now is scheduled to compete at her home club's Golden West Championships (Labor Day weekend), which is the week after Champs Camp.

Caroline won Golden West in 2008. I remember reading that after she skated her long, about a third of the audience got up and left. I remember thinking that was so un-cool. The audience should have showed a little more respect to the other skaters. :disapp:

R.D.

Record Breaker
Caroline won Golden West in 2008. I remember reading that after she skated her long, about a third of the audience got up and left. I remember thinking that was so un-cool. The audience should have showed a little more respect to the other skaters. :disapp:

This does not seem uncommon. I read another report that at one of the pro-ams in the early 2000s, Kwan was the second to last skater at the event- after she skated, a good portion of the audience got up and left, leaving that unfortunate final skater with a half-empty arena.

And wasn't it at Skate America last year that much of that audience descended in to see Yuna, and Yuna only?

MasterB

Final Flight
I feel really bad for Caroline. When she came on the scene many people treated her like she was the next great thing, and for a while it seemed that way. However her body began to change and all her faults became quite visible. Changing your technique has got to be one of the most difficult if not impossible things to do. Although she has youth on her side things can change for her, but I am not optimistic as there are too many factors that need to be in place for her to make a comeback. To list them would be cruel if Caroline was to read these threads on herself, so I won't. Suffice to say that by hanging in there she has shown us that she is tough and is willing to fight for what she loves to do. There have been many skaters who would have quit by now if they had been in her shoes (skates). I hope that she hangs in there at least until 2014 and continues to make steady progress.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Very true about Zhang, says a lot about her that she has chosen to stick it out rather than move on, despite all indications to do the latter. I definitely give her credit for that.