Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: 2011 Glacier Falls Summer Classic, August 5-7, Anaheim, CA

I thought Ashley Wagner has a very nice long program. If she could only do a clean program in competition, the whole thing would look perfect. I liked both Mirai's music choice and costume but thought the choreography was a bit lacking. In the beginning, it looked pretty good. But she seemed to lose the character halfway through the program. In the end, the music was very fast so I was expecting something like a step sequence or some jumps. Instead, to the fast music, she did spins that didn't fit the dynamic of the music. I hope the program will look better at competitions in the future. Mirai is a great skater herself. She just needs to believe in herself because she has everything to become a great skater.

Quote Originally Posted by champs View Post
    Thank you feraina, and two other people who took time to shoot and post the videos.
    You are welcome!

Besides the videos, I also did PBP for most of the junior and senior events and posted them at FSU. If you want to know how someone did, and there's no video, and you can't access FSU's competition section, you can ask me to find the PBP for you -- just PM me.

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    Thanks for the videos!

Of the 3 LPs, I've got to say I enjoyed Caroline's the most--and that's something I did not expect.

Who won?

^^ I believe Ashley 1st, Nagasu 4th, and Zhang 5th

Leah Keiser first by a couple tenths over Ashley, 7 points back to Courtney Hicks 3rd by a couples tenths over Mirai, Caroline 6 points back of Mirai.

I enjoyed watching the videos from jarrettz, feraina and umbsgoblue. Thanks! Will be interesting to see the programs improve during the season

Ladies overall:

Wagner 167.31
    Keiser 164.24
    Hicks 158.23
    Nagasu 157.99
    Zhang 146.18

Men overall:

Razzano 199.25
    Brown 197.48
    Aaron 188.69

Rejoicing in the land of Kwan kwanatic's Avatar
    I found a new blog with all of the videos in one place and reviews: http://thenakedice.blogspot.com/

I really like Ashley's program and I think it'll be great by the time she's ready to debut it. This might be Ashley's break-out season. I've preferred her over Rachael for quite a while but Ashley's health and competition nerve issues have kept her out of that top spot. She looked really sharp here and it's early! You can tell she's more ready for the season to start than anyone...

I've never noticed Leah before this competition, but she did really well.

I'm still not a fan of Courtney yet. There's something a bit too wild about her skating...she's still really rough around the edges to me and her lack of lines really irk me, especially b/c she seems like she would be right in line with Adelina Sotnikova. Their bodies are similar, but Adelina's lines (when she's not spinning) are infinitely better than Courtney's right now. Courtney's still too green; she needs more time.

Mirai looks okay, but I agree with this blogger about being on the fence about her LP. It has potential but Lori needs to work on it a bit more. Her jumps looked low and not really powerful, but I hope that's just because it's early. I'm glad she's doing summer competitions because she won't have the luxury of competing, getting her head together for a few weeks and then taking another shot at it. Her back-to-back assignments mean she needs every available opportunity there is to get experience with these new programs.

I'm very happy for Caroline. I can see where she's improved and aside from a few mistakes, she was really good. Here's hoping she continues to improve!
    Last edited by kwanatic; 08-08-2011 at 11:26 AM.

Custom Title
    Like the blogger that kwanatic posted, I also was expecting a spiral at the exact same part as MK. But even then, why is Mirai doing that weird y-spiral and letting go? It doesn't look good and her arabesque is already excellent.

Rejoicing in the land of Kwan kwanatic's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by burntBREAD View Post
    Like the blogger that kwanatic posted, I also was expecting a spiral at the exact same part as MK. But even then, why is Mirai doing that weird y-spiral and letting go? It doesn't look good and her arabesque is already excellent.
    Definitely, this is how you match a piece of music and let it build...

Isn't that letting go spiral maybe the one Arakawa used in her Olympic year? If you can lift the leg just a hair higher without the arm assist than with it, it can be a really impressive display of flexibility.

Custom Title
    Shizuka's Y spiral was effortless and perfectly synced with the music. Mirai's was slow and out of nowhere. Maybe take that out of the program.

Vanessa's LP got the second highest TES, but her PCS was about 15 points behind Ashley. What a joke.

From watching from the same vantage point, Caroline seems to be as fast as any other girls. Is that the general consensus?

Custom Title
    Max Aaron showed off his quad Salchow in the senior men SP, which he won.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast