Votes: 25 59.5%
  • Cut it!

Votes: 17 40.5%

• Total voters

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Should USA's Jason Brown cut or keep his ponytail? Your thoughts?

gmyers

Record Breaker
It's very unorthodox and usually if something is unorthodox it will go. Like Rippon's curls went but they did come back.

I remember when Morozov had Rippon's curls straightened.

It's the skating that counts, but appearances do make fans and some judges twinge.

Joubert's sail costume for Christofer Columbus
Weir's busy sequins and beads

I would prefer ALL skaters to wear black skirts for females, and black trousers for males, with black sweaters and white dickies underneath. Oh dear, the response from the female fans would be overwhelming. Figure Skating would lose its pagaent-like form of sport.

It's up to Jason. I'm sure he will cut it at some time in the future for a new look. Meanwhile, I'll keep to the skating.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I'd let Jason make his own decision, but if he's having trouble rotating his 3A, an extra asymmetrical pound or two of hair whipping around is probably not the world's best idea. It wouldn't make a huge difference, but I'd probably cut it off for now.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
I'd let Jason make his own decision, but if he's having trouble rotating his 3A, an extra asymmetrical pound or two of hair whipping around is probably not the world's best idea. It wouldn't make a huge difference, but I'd probably cut it off for now.

He can always put it up in a top knot while skating.

feraina

Record Breaker
Depends on why he wants to cut it. Don't do it because other people want him to. But if he wants a new image for himself, as a skater and a person, and having a haircut is part of that revamp, then it's worth doing.

babyskate

On the Ice
I think he should keep it for now. It is his trademark and while he may not be a household name yet people that catch glimpse of him skating will say, hei I like the kid with the pony tail.

colleen o'neill

Medalist
:)Oh, keep it ! Save the scissors for a day when you really feel you need a change . Everybody gets one of those sooner or later.Then something like that can be a hugely reinvigorating .

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland

Did´t Rohene Ward have a ponytail and difficulties with his jumping? At least he did not ever make a podium even at Nationals, or did he?

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Since Jason doesn't have any strong personal inclination to cut it, he should make it a career strategy: Keep the pony tail as a trade mark and cut it when he needs a publicity boost and when his hair change would actually make news.

MoonlightSkater

On the Ice
I remember when Morozov had Rippon's curls straightened.

It's the skating that counts, but appearances do make fans and some judges twinge.

Joubert's sail costume for Christofer Columbus
Weir's busy sequins and beads

I would prefer ALL skaters to wear black skirts for females, and black trousers for males, with black sweaters and white dickies underneath. Oh dear, the response from the female fans would be overwhelming. Figure Skating would lose its pagaent-like form of sport.

It's up to Jason. I'm sure he will cut it at some time in the future for a new look. Meanwhile, I'll keep to the skating.

The problem here is that this could really accentuate body types that vary from the "ideal," and let's face it, this is an ARTISTIC sport. Taking the art out would make it a trick competition, which I think you'd like, but most wouldn't. And I think the thicker women would really complain about having to wear a solid color with a sweater that bulked up their waist.

As for the hair, I agree with the poster above that he should only cut it if he wants to, and not because others want him to.

Last edited:

just wondering

On the Ice
Keep the pony tail! Cut it when you want to.

As for attire for ladies, I would appreciate black dress, any shape or style, no or minimal stones for SP. Then, FS can be typical skating costume. Same concept for men.

MoonlightSkater

On the Ice
There are several pieces of music that might not look right with a black costume, though. Odette (white swan from swan lake) would be an odd role to skate while wearing black, and Ave Maria, for example, would probably just look like a practice session with an all-black costume.

I, too, like many of the more understated costumes (Alissa in white was lovely, as was Sasha, and I like many of the simple dresses from the 70's), but I wouldn't want to make them into school uniforms.

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
And there are a lot of music which might not work well with long hair style.;) I have to say that I hate his long hair, but whether to keep it or not is his decision.

Isk8NYC

Spectator
It doesn't matter because Jason's hair is always clean and neat when I've seen him skate.

Other competitors with long hair (male and female) don't always present their hair nicely. While some people like the look of "I rolled out of bed and onto the ice without showering/shaving/brushing my hair," I don't care for the look. I also dislike watching them fling the hair out of their eyes so they can see where they're going.

Jason's hair is not an issue at this point, imo. He can wear it however he wants to - it's iconic and unique.
If he wants to cut it short, he should do so in the summer - short hair is nice and cool, assuming he gets out of the rink and off to the beach/pool a few times.