Casey Anthony case | Golden Skate

Casey Anthony case

Johar

Medalist
Had this been trialed in another country (same case, same circumstances) would the outcome be different? IMO, she is guilty but the evidence wasn't "beyond a shadow of a doubt."

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
She has to be mentally ill if she can live with what she did.

Blue Bead

Medalist
I find it interesting that so many people think she's guilty, and are upset to the point that some of them have threatened her life because she was acquitted, yet no one seems at all outraged that the prosecution structured such a poor case against her that the defense was able to plant the idea (reasonable doubt) that she didn't kill her daughter which caused the jurors to aquit her. I would think that people would be calling for the prosecutor's resignation but instead they're mounting a witch hunt against the mother.

Those jurors will never be able to let it all go if their names are ever made public. Having sat on a jury before I can understand quite well what goes on when the jurors retire to discuss the case, figure out whom they believe did or didn't do the crime, deciding on guilt or innocence. This business of "trying" the case in the court of public opinion isn't fair to either the person on trial or to the jurors as has been displayed since the Casey Anthony case went to trial.

Sasha'sSpins

Medalist
Country
United-States
Had this been trialed in another country (same case, same circumstances) would the outcome be different? IMO, she is guilty but the evidence wasn't "beyond a shadow of a doubt."

I'm sure there've been similar cases in other parts of the world. I think in those parts she would have been guilty until proven innocent and never left prison-alive.

That being said-I think Casey Anthony was overcharged. The State went too far in trying for the DP. I think if they had gone for lesser charges such as child abandonment, child endangerment or any lesser charge they could have thrown at her she would have been looking at least at another 5-10 years in prison if not life. Having the death penalty on the table imo gave the jury pause-because there was simply no proof as to how this baby was killed. As one investigator said all they had was 'dry bones' to work with. If this was an 'accident' imo it was due to some gross negligence on Casey's part-likely with chlorophorm. In any event I believe in karma. And Casey who is a convicted felon due to writing bad checks is/will hardly be rehabilitated. I think Anthony is a screw up and imo she's going to screw up again somewhere along the line-and wind up in the slammer again possibly for a much longer stretch than the nearly three years she served.

gmyers

Record Breaker
Working backwards from the verdict. This is such a Lifetime movie. Your child dies a tragic death and then all the police and district attorneys hound you and accuse you of murder. Then you are put on trial where the death penalty is proposed. What a horrible occurence after a tragedy. You could lose your life being innocent. Luckily you are found not guilty and after everyone on TV was calling for your guilty verdict and death! Then when you are found not guilty people call in death threats and force you think about plastic surgery and moving.

Sasha'sSpins

Medalist
Country
United-States
Working backwards from the verdict. This is such a Lifetime movie. Your child dies a tragic death and then all the police and district attorneys hound you and accuse you of murder. Then you are put on trial where the death penalty is proposed. What a horrible occurence after a tragedy. You could lose your life being innocent. Luckily you are found not guilty and after everyone on TV was calling for your guilty verdict and death! Then when you are found not guilty people call in death threats and force you think about plastic surgery and moving.

I know right? I don't condone the people threatening the Anthonys, including Casey and her attorneys. That is criminal and there's no excusing such behavior. Casey is not worth going to jail or prison for.

I'm sure that movie will be coming along very soon. Apparently people are twittering that Casey has been sighted in Ohio and probably every State in the Union by now lol. One of the talking heads on HLN just reported Casey wants to be a paralegal. I'm not sure what to think about that but I hope for her parent's sake that Casey keeps her nose clean and gets her act together. Maybe someday after much needed therapy she'll tell the truth about Caylee-but I doubt it.

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
I totally agree that she was over charged. I have sat on a jury before too, not a murder trial, and the only way I would vote for the death penalty would be if the accused confessed. Even an eye witness wouldn't convince me as witnesses lie. She needs to cut and dye her hair and go into hiding. People do forget after awhile.......42

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Here in Canada, the out come may have been the same but the big difference is there would have been no media circus and the case would not have been shown on trash tv (Nancy Grace). TV cameras are not permitted in our court rooms. We would have only heard some of the testimony on the news and in the paper. We just had a huge case here in New Westminster - the trial of Robert Picton - a serial murderer and no one would have even been aware such a trial was taking place. I am sure Nancy Grace has made a lot of money from this tragedy. That is a crime in itself.