NBC TV Broadcast Schedule for 2011-12 Season (U.S.) | Page 2 | Golden Skate

NBC TV Broadcast Schedule for 2011-12 Season (U.S.)

mskater93

Record Breaker
The English guys can be fun but listen to them call Kanako's LP from Worlds last season. According to them it felt like she won the LP.
Nicky and Chris look for the "best" in each skaters' performance and will sound like that no matter WHO is skating. Chris is like that in person, too, where he always searches for the best in his skaters' element before constructively criticizing. It's in his nature as a person.

Poodlepal

On the Ice
I thought Rachael skated well that day and that it could've gone either way. IIRC, she did more or harder jump combos than Mirai, whose talent has always been artistry. I wouldn't blame poor Rachael for the loss of figure skating interest.

Scott Hamilton, on the other hand, is beyond annoying. His bias and squeaky voice drive me crazy. I don't mind if an announcer is a little biased towards skaters from his country's national broadcast. I figure that skaters from other countries will have someone pulling for them at home. But Scott seems to base his ardor on whomever he's friends with, at least that's the impression I get. He does not always seem to favor the Americans, or favors one American over another because he knows/likes him or her.

jatale

On the Ice
I'd vote for Tara. I've been impressed by her commentary. She clearly knows her stuff and seems pretty impartial, fair, and insightful in her remarks.

R.D.

Record Breaker
I thought Rachael skated well that day and that it could've gone either way. IIRC, she did more or harder jump combos than Mirai, whose talent has always been artistry. I wouldn't blame poor Rachael for the loss of figure skating interest.

She has certainly been scapegoat for many things, but loss of FS interest?

Flatt was overmarked at US Nats and undermarked at Olys, IMHO.

Last edited:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Well honestly, this is better than I expected. Since ESPN lost their rights, coverage of the grand prix has been sliced and diced to point that it's almost like participating in a scavenger hunt to find out when an event is on TV.
In all fairness they didn't LOSE it, they just didn't renew their contract.

That wasn't always the case but since the CoP has taken over skating in USA it is a very tough sell.

Until ESPN picked it up we didn't get much more than what we have now. ESPN had been hinting they weren't going to pick up the olympic sport after their contract was up well before CoP was established... CoP is a FACTOR in the average joe not tuning in, certainly, but it wasn't the death sentence. In the US it has much mroe to do with what others have said - we just don't have anyone carrying the skater image, and really no one cares. Skating isn't *extreme* enough.

Last edited:

R.D.

Record Breaker
How about we just admit that skating has only a niche following. The Whack inflated viewer interest to unprecedented levels, and the TV networks took advantage of the opportunity, but oversaturation led to boredom, and the novelty wore off. There will always be viewer interest during Olys, but in non-Olympic years only active fans follow or care to watch the events.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
wait... you're saying not EVERYONE loves figure skating like the few of us online? :eek:

;)

R.D.

Record Breaker
Probably need to get out of skating circles a bit every now and then ;)

There are many, many other sports I watch, many times with excitement, during the Olys that I could care less about in other years. Swimming is a classic example. Apparently the swimming worlds were going on last week but I just read a few tweets and that was good enough for me.

I'm sure the vast majority of people feel the same way about skating. Having a small interest in a TV show doesn't necessarily translate to wanting to catch every episode.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
In the US it has much mroe to do with what others have said - we just don't have anyone carrying the skater image, and really no one cares. Skating isn't *extreme* enough.

But figure skating is extreme. Trouble is the best make things look so easy. The public just needs to be educated, aka marketed to. Hype the slicing of the face, the Olympic quad throw accident, the bloodied distorted nose ignored through 4 minutes of jumping, throwing and lifting on ice................ show and glorify the blood and gore and the heroic feats. If the public is tired of the pretty and the elegant, give them the grisly. Shock and awe them, baby.

janetfan

Match Penalty
But figure skating is extreme. Trouble is the best make things look so easy. The public just needs to be educated, aka marketed to. Hype the slicing of the face, the Olympic quad throw accident, the bloodied distorted nose ignored through 4 minutes of jumping, throwing and lifting on ice................ show and glorify the blood and gore and the heroic feats. If the public is tired of the pretty and the elegant, give them the grisly. Shock and awe them, baby.

Maybe having the guys come out without sequins and tights would shock American fans. :biggrin:
Short of that Men's figure skating is still considered a pansy sport by most men in USA. That is why the demographics show that women make up the vast majority of the fanbase.

Even world champion Debi Thomas said "skating Is a real Miss America type sport." In other words, a pageant.

Men in in some other countries like pageants but not so much in USA anymore.

Perhaps if we saw Evan and Johnny skating in an octagon shaped rink and the last man standing was declared the winner skating would have more appeal to American men.

CoP skating has a minor fanbase and as long as it can hold onto it fans will get a bit of Live skating and limited taped delayed highlights.

Better than nothing. And there is always the internet,

Last edited:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Probably need to get out of skating circles a bit every now and then ;)

hmmm mushing circles aren't much bigger, me thinks? :laugh: but that's another niche sport that's struggling with sponserships... and no one is blaming the game in that one...just lack of education by the masses - but at the same time, we really don't seem to care that the fan base is small in that sport. It had it's popularity boom around the same time as figure skating. Now you don't see ESPN updating on the Iditarod anymore than they do skating... maybe I'm the common denominator for lack of televised events :laugh:

mskater93

Record Breaker
How about we just admit that skating has only a niche following. The Whack inflated viewer interest to unprecedented levels, and the TV networks took advantage of the opportunity, but oversaturation led to boredom, and the novelty wore off. There will always be viewer interest during Olys, but in non-Olympic years only active fans follow or care to watch the events.
I think that's what I said a page back, but not so eloquently. I called it a ratings "bounce"

janetfan

Match Penalty
Wouldn't it be wresting, then? ;)

But pro wrestling admits it is not a real sport. Wrestling is entertainment and pageantry which is why costumes, makeup and music during the introductions plays such a prominent role.

Actually skating and pro wrestling have more in common than I ever realized. :biggrin:

In both "sports' we know the results are often predetermined. ;)

Maybe skating should forget the lame shows that feature Live Pop bands and gymnastics and join up with pro wrestling since they seem to have so much in common.

Like skating, Pro wrestling is not shown on ESPN either.

Last edited: