Johnny Weir's Chinese Interviews | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Johnny Weir's Chinese Interviews

silverpond

On the Ice
Forgive me for what I am about to write.....but, IMHO, Johnny Weir acts like a complete spoiled brat, with the air that the world evolves around him. Who does he think he's kidding? Weir has so much natural talent and grace, and he most definitely COULD challenge for World and Olympic titles, if he put himself into the work mode and trained as hard as most of his competitors. When he won his first US title back in 1994, after having withdrawn the previous season with an injury, I thought "Well done, Johnny! You're on your way." Unfortunately, his way is not the way to win titles, and I would think that is at least one of the primary goals of elite level figure skaters.

I just do not respect anyone who acts with a flippant, totally self-absorbed attitude; therefore, I have zilch respect for this guy. Frankly, I would be thrilled to see other male skaters qualify to represent the United States at the Worlds, Olympics, and other competitions.

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
Frankly, I would be thrilled to see other male skaters qualify to represent the United States at the Worlds, Olympics, and other competitions.

Personally, I don´t believe that Weir would appear in Worlds or Olympics anymore. Among US-skaters there are way too many other talented guys, who also are a lot younger than Weir.

Poodlepal

On the Ice
Who are the talented younger skaters? I foresee a terrible dry spell hitting the US men like the one that hit the women. Are Dornbush and Miner that promising? Because Armin and Adam Rippon haven't impressed me with their consistency, that's for sure.

The fact is, both Evan and Johnny should continue, at least until someone seems capable of coming in 6th or 7th at the World's. Too many men have fizzled like the women have fizzled in the past few years. Remember Steven Carriere and Brandon Morz?

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Who are the talented younger skaters? I foresee a terrible dry spell hitting the US men like the one that hit the women. Are Dornbush and Miner that promising? Because Armin and Adam Rippon haven't impressed me with their consistency, that's for sure.

The fact is, both Evan and Johnny should continue, at least until someone seems capable of coming in 6th or 7th at the World's. Too many men have fizzled like the women have fizzled in the past few years. Remember Steven Carriere and Brandon Morz?

KEEGAN MESSING FOR THE WIN! :rock:

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
About Dornbush and Miner: on the good side, both skated their best at Worlds. And Miner skated his best at Nationals as well well (Dornbush did not skate his SP to the best of his ability at Nationals). It's too soon to tell whether they are consistent, but they made a great start last year.

On the negative side, neither has, to my knowledge, done a quad in competition.

There are many nice things about Adam Rippon's skating, but he doesn't have a consistent triple axel, let alone a quad. Unfortunately, he is consistent about about not having them.

About Dornbush and Miner: on the good side, both skated their best at Worlds. And Miner skated his best at Nationals as well well (Dornbush did not skate his SP to the best of his ability at Nationals). It's too soon to tell whether they are consistent, but they made a great start last year.

On the negative side, neither has, to my knowledge, done a quad in competition.

There are many nice things about Adam Rippon's skating, but he doesn't have a consistent triple axel, let alone a quad. Unfortunately, he is consistent about about not having them.
:) Love your comments. Yet Dornbush and Miner both made the World Team because of the lucky placements at US Nationals. Dornbush did do well at Worlds but he needed a strong elite male skater to succeed in getting 3 places for the following year. Bradley just wasn't that one with his humor that didn't sell internationally.

Adam has a warm style of skating but he doesn't have the Tech at the senior level.

Jeremy still remains the best bet to send to worlds. He has the tech, but will he falter at Nats, and we send Armin instead? Quien sabe? It's all await and see. Everything depends on the one competition by the USFS. :rolleye:

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker

Evan could be easily stay in 6th or 7th place but Johnny won't, and might never be from now on.

:) Love your comments. Yet Dornbush and Miner both made the World Team because of the lucky placements at US Nationals. Dornbush did do well at Worlds but he needed a strong elite male skater to succeed in getting 3 places for the following year. Bradley just wasn't that one with his humor that didn't sell internationally.

Adam has a warm style of skating but he doesn't have the Tech at the senior level.

Jeremy still remains the best bet to send to worlds. He has the tech, but will he falter at Nats, and we send Armin instead? Quien sabe? It's all await and see. Everything depends on the one competition by the USFS. :rolleye:

Yeah, talk about USFS alone decides the outcomes.;) It's ironic.

ManyCairns

Medalist
Country
United-States
I'm sure I'm a bit of a Johnny apologist, but based on these remarks I saw nothing reprehensible or inflammatory about what Weir said. The headline as posted here touted "Weir says IJS unfair" but reading the full text, all he said was he didn't think the artistic side of skating is recognized adequately in the current system AND that he would work to change it IF he were to continue to compete. Whether or not he can do the latter, at least he didn't say, "this system is broken and stinks to you and I'm taking my toys and going home." I think espousing some personal desire to work toward a change he thinks is important is actually quite a good thing to say. Again, I don't know how much he could do, or what he would try, but identifying a problem and saying you want to work on it doesn't seem whiny or spoiled to me. The headline made it seem whiny, perhaps, but I don't think the full comment bears that out.

Everything depends on the one competition by the USFS. :rolleye:

:rock: Win or go home!

Heres's the deal. We should send "the best skaters in America" to worlds. So the question becomes, how do we determine the title of "best skater in America?"

The options are.

(a) Have a skating competition. Anyone who thinks he is the best skater in America, come and prove it.

(b) Appoint a committee.

^^^
If you could only convince other Federations your method determining their best, it would be fairer. But they choose their best skaters by previous performances leading up to Worlds.

I don't see hashing this any further, we know and saw the differences. By not sending Mirai and not sending Jeremy.

If you could only convince other Federations your method determining their best, it would be fairer. But they choose their best skaters by previous performances leading up to Worlds.

Joe, I am surprised that you of all people support the idea of just following along meekly with the crowd. Where's the rebel?

MM -I'm not supporting your idea of a onetime comp to select the entries into the Worlds. Just saying no other Fed does it that way.

I am with the crowd who believes only the best should go to Worlds even if they falter at US Nats including 1st place. Not a one time podium placer who happened to have a good day while a top skater faltered on that one day. I just don't think a Fed's Nationals is all that important for international competitions. Think Bradley and the American humor? Had Mirai been selected would we have gotten 3 lady skaters to match Alissa?

If the Committe which you distrust had selected Mirai and Jeremy, the chances of 3 skaters would have been more real.

That is the part that surprises me. In most things you are not with "the crowd."
Sometimes the crowd is best served. In selecting the best team for Worlds, the USFS should revise its methods, and that Committee needs revamping also. The Committee never changed your approved system except for star injuries.

The USFS should come up with an original method to select the Team and not rely on the Nationals.