Ice Skating Rinks -- Demolition Time | Golden Skate

Ice Skating Rinks -- Demolition Time

silverpond

On the Ice
One of the favorite indoor activities my friends and I participated in was indoor ice skating. :) Our local ice rink, which was located over the boardwalk, looking over the ocean, provided us with a nice, friendly place to skate. I can still remember skating to the same selections of music, most of which were movie soundtracks, performed on the organ. A number of years ago the skating rink was destroyed by fire; however, the debris was not removed for a number of years. You could walk inside the building, peek in and see the stage and ice rink, and also see an abundance of sand grass that sprung up in the wreckage.

The building has since been demolished. It's a shame that nobody cared to fund a new ice rink, but I guess it's a matter of economics.

There is a really excellent, fairly new, skating facility a few miles away, which has multiple rinks for hockey and figure skating. It's a busy place, with hockey leagues practicing and and playing games all the time. Several local high schools use the rink for their practices/games. The rink offers a series of figure skating classes and coaching for elite skaters. A few years ago, Russian ice dancer Mai Usova coached at that rink, and several of the current coaches competed at the national level. I'm happy to see this facility shows no signs of decline. :thumbsup:

silverpond

On the Ice
OK, I know it's probably a bit wierd to reply to your own thread; however, I forgot to mention another ice skating rink that bit the (demolition) dust a number of years ago. It was a fairly nice rink, and seemed to be popular with the under-30 crowd. Friday and Saturday night public skates were packed, and the rink hosted a number of club shows and non-USFSA skating competitions. A number of years ago, a young pairs team who were the Eastern Sectional junior champions were the stars of one of the shows. They were very impressive teenagers who have long since left the competitive skating. I lost track with this rink, and the last time I drove by, I was shocked to see it had been demolished and was now a fast-food franchise.