Riazanova and Tkachenko get into starting position for Sochi | Golden Skate

Riazanova and Tkachenko get into starting position for Sochi

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Russian ice dance is full of talent, and the tough competition motivates the teams to do even better. Ekaterina Riazanova and Ilia Tkachenko belong to the current generation of strong teams that are fighting to become Russia’s number one ice dancers.

More

colleen o'neill

Medalist
I really like this team. May they have better choreography this year ( hope, hope ) Their SD was one of my favourites, but...(you know the rest )

I was am not really familiar with this team. I think they will have a lot of competition in breaking into the top senior ranks next year.

Another new pair to watch for! It's going to be an embarrassment of riches next year...more delights that we will be able to imagine. I just hope with constricted television schedules, I'll have the chance to see these people. I will count on the experts here to help me keep track of everyone!

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Yes, it is an embarrassment of riches for sure. R&T's Short Dance to a Sviridov waltz was one of my favorite SDs last year.

They finished ahead of I&K at Russian Nationals, but behind them at Europeans (Russia had 3 spots at Europeans) and so were not given the 2nd spot for Worlds, where Russia only had 2 spots.

The fact that Russia has some amazing junior dancers coming up to seniors this year, and more amazing juniors that will be in seniors the year after complicates the picture in Russian ice dance still further.

babayaga

On the Ice
They were my favorite Russian dance team this season. I am worried that even if they perform very well they might get held back because of politics. Very much hope this won't happen and can't wait for their new programs. Latina can look great on them and I heard that their FD is very nice.

Eszterbeszti

Rinkside
Well, this season I felt they became very tried for the end of their programs. I think if they train as their coach wants they will be able to reach the Olympic team.
I hope R&T and I&K will represent Russia in Sochi. :)

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
Well, this season I felt they became very tried for the end of their programs. I think if they train as their coach wants they will be able to reach the Olympic team.
I hope R&T and I&K will represent Russia in Sochi. :)

Who do you think the third spot (knock on wood) should go to, B/S or an upcoming junior team?

herios

Medalist
Who do you think the third spot (knock on wood) should go to, B/S or an upcoming junior team?

Way too early to speculate for Sochi, in ice dancing, especially in Russia. There could be even team splits, partner changes, and one team or other leaving the rest behind for a bit, then to come back and regain their spot.
You have to realize that since COP there is no such thing like carved in stone hierarchy. Of course there are skills and chemistry, but a good program and performance could change things in a hurry.

These teams are still very young and work in progress. All of them. Russia has no veterans at all, even Bobrova / Soloviev who have been around since 2008 in seniors are still young as well.

Last edited:

alithia

Final Flight
Way too early to speculate for Sochi, in ice dancing, especially in Russia. There could be even team splits, partner changes, and one team or other leaving the rest behind for a bit, then to come back and regain their spot.
You have to realize that since COP there is no such thing like carved in stone hierarchy. Of couirse there are skills and chemistry, but a good program and performance could change things in a hurry.

These teams are still very young and work in progress. All of them. Russia has no veterans at all, even Bobrova / Soloviev who have been around since 2008 in seniors are still young as well.

I competely agree.And maybe these teams will be totally different in a couple of years and all those complains about them will be non existent.

I also think there will be team splits in the way to Sochi,the teams being so young and everything..I'm particularly worried bor the junior teams

DianaSelene

Medalist
This was one of my favorite pairs this season. Their short dance was very regal and one of the best of the season. However, I wasn't a huge fan of their long program. The soft and lyric types of dances look better on them in my opinion than fast and sexy. They chose The Snowstorm again this year for the free dance and a great choice I think it was. Not looking forward to their latin short dance, though.

They were one of the underrated couples this season. I just hope they reach their potential and the judges as well as the audience notice them more.

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
I really like them and I hope they have a good season. I prefer them to B&S and I&K, actually. This is a bit off topic, but I heard on FSU that Fedor Andreev is injured and not training.

DianaSelene

Medalist
I really like them and I hope they have a good season. I prefer them to B&S and I&K, actually. This is a bit off topic, but I heard on FSU that Fedor Andreev is injured and not training.

I agree and also prefer R/T. All of the Russian ice dancers surprsied me this season, not all of them in a good way. I was extremely disappointed with I/K because of their lacking programs, music, choreography, and lifts. B/S were ok, nothing special. Furthermore, Soloviev constantly had problems with his twizzles, hurting the couple at competitions every time. The only Russian couple that looked good this season were R/T. I hope the Russian Figure Skating Federation starts to put them in their rightful place at the top of the podium at nationals. If not, they won't be seen as the first Russian couple and will have trouble getting placed high at international competitions.