New Yagudin article "Griazev will win - he has to" | Golden Skate

New Yagudin article "Griazev will win - he has to"

Zanzibar

Final Flight
New article on what Alexei has been up to from AFP wireservice:

Russia's Yagudin Thrives on New Challenges

By: Kathleen Bangs

COLORADO SPRINGS, Colorado, Dec 11 (AFP) - Alexei Yagudin, who announced his retirement from top level figure skating competition last month, is enjoying his new freedom away from the rink.

"I can't believe I actually got to sit down and watch 'Friends' tonight on TV," said Yagudin. "It's my favourite show and for years I've only had time to see re-runs."

The 23-year-old Russian said so long to the amateur side of the sport after achieving the highest honours. "After all, there is nothing left for me to win," he said.

He is the reigning Olympic men's figure skating champion, holds the record for most perfect scores in Olympic men's singles, is a four-time world champion, three time European champion and has countless more titles and gold medals that bear his name.

An athlete who thrives on new challenges, Yagudin says he's found one in professional figure skating, a segment of the sport he's now working to revitalize.

Yagudin headlines the biggest and most prestigious show tour in the world, Stars On Ice, which debuted November 29 and begins a 65 city sweep across the United States starting January 2.
It runs through mid-April before moving north for the Canadian audiences.

"It's not like some of the other tours where you just go out and skate your number and you're done," said Yagudin. "We all do many numbers together, we're all responsible to and for each other and that brings us closer together, like family."

"This year our shows are going to be better than ever. Scott Hamilton has taken over as producer, and the choreography is new and exciting.

"Everything moves faster and we're all working very hard to make this tour the best the fans have ever seen."

Since winning the 2002 World Title in Nagano, Yagudin's fame in Japan has soared.

"I'm really excited that I have special shows scheduled in Tokyo for December 28 and 29 where I will perform with the top Japanese skaters, just coming off their national championships."

Yagudin is so popular with Japanese fans that his shows sold out in a record fifteen minutes, prompting tour organizers to quickly add a third performance.

"I love the Japanese fans," added Yagudin.

He plans to let Japan have the first crack at his new autobiography which will be released there in early 2004.

Yagudin has become the champion by which other men’s best attempts will be compared to for decades to come. His driving force remains a mystery. Whether it’s that more than his rivals he just had to win, or on the contrary, just couldn’t stand to lose, Yagudin kept the sport entertaining.

Yagudin's fans can take comfort that, while he may not be seen actually on the ice in Olympic eligible competition, he will still be in the arena, commanding other top skaters' careers.

He recently announced he will assist in coaching French national champion and solid 2006 Olympic contender Brian Joubert.

Yagudin will be at Joubert's side during the French Nationals, December 20 and 21, which will determine which French skaters will be sent to the World Championships next march.

Already this season Yagudin has successfully guided 18 year old
compatriot Andrei Griazev to a gold medal victory at two junior Grand Prix figure skating events, their first together as student and coach.

Asked what final words of advice he had for Griazev moments before taking the ice in the crucial free skate at the last junior Grand Prix event Yagudin responded, “Go out there and fight for yourself, because no one else can do that for you.”

Yagudin will coach Griazev, the odds-on favourite, at the Junior Grand Prix Final in Malmo, Sweden on December 12-14.

Unabashed to predict Griazev’s chance for gold at the Junior Grand Prix Final, the new coach smiled.

“Yes, he will win” said a determined Yagudin, his competitive nature still never far from the surface, “He has to.”

"A great skater does not necessarily make a great coach," says Yagudin.

"During the days my student competed, I found myself going through the same rhythm of getting ready I would do when I was competing - it's as intense - because if they die out there, you die with them."

(Reprinted with copyright permission from author)

GOOD LUCK ANDREI!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:) :) :)

Last edited:

curious

Final Flight
I hope he doesn't beat Andrei to death if he doesn't win lol! Is so clear how much Alexei misses competiting. I agree with his comment "A great skater does not necessarily makes a great coach."

hockeyfan228

Record Breaker
Someone needs to tell Yagudin about TiVo. (For when he's on the road with Griazev.)

The third spot on the Russian Men's team is going to get even more competitive over the next few years.

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
I have not seen Griazev´s skating, so I have no comments about him. Evan Lysacek though is in this competiton, isn´t he? I saw his freeskate from last season´s JGP Finals and was very impressed with him.

Hockeyfan228, what is TiVo?

Marjaana

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Alexei Yagudin, who announced his retirement from top level figure skating competition last month, is enjoying his new freedom away from the rink.

"I can't believe I actually got to sit down and watch 'Friends' tonight on TV," said Yagudin. "It's my favourite show and for years I've only had time to see re-runs."

my best friend just said "he has good taste"
:laugh

windspirit

On the Ice
Here're two pics from JGP Final, of:

Andrei (doesn't he look like Yags here, together with his face expression... :laugh: )
http://www.jgpfinal2003.se/JGP2003_Torsdag_127_2775.jpg

Andrei with Alexei:
http://www.jgpfinal2003.se/JGP2003_Torsdag_127_2769.jpg

Jaana, Tivo is a digital recorder (it has a hard drive, you can record about 80 hours on it, I think). You can pause the program you're watching live, go to make yourself something to eat, etc., come back and start at the time you left. You can program it to record all things that are of interest to you, and it watches for them by itself (for example figure skating :) ). Et cetera. Here's a link with more info:
http://www.tivo.com/

As for "Friends"... http://www.members.lycos.co.uk/windspirit6/sm/sleeppink.gif Baby, you've seen nothing yet.

Edited to add: Jaana, if you saw last year's JGP Final, you should've seen Griazev (unless you only saw the medalists; he was 4th). Btw, he reminds of Kulik quite a bit.

Last edited:

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
Thanks for the info, Windspirit!

From past season´s JPG Finals I think that I managed to see only two men, maybe three. Definetely not more. Scandinavian Eurosport started their broadcast later than the rest, we missed some discipline totally. Unfortunately no tape left...

Thanks for the photolinks! I wonder when the Russian Nationals are going to be held and if Griazev will move into men´s competitions.

Marjaana

Last edited:

Dodhiyel

Final Flight
Thanks for the article, Zanzibar :) lol I registered just to thank you ;)

This looks like a very good board, btw.

Zanzibar

Final Flight
Interesting Day's Results....hmmm...

Thanks!

Edited to say.....and so as not to have any spoilers....let's just say....an interesting night at the Grand Prix Final :laugh:

Last edited:

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
I wonder very much that Kathleen Bangs is promoting Yagudin instead of doing that for the very talented US skater Evan Lycasek who competed in this JPG Finals? He definetely was a very strong contender and would have deserved attention before the competition also.

Marjaana

Last edited:

windspirit

On the Ice
Zanzibar, from the two competitions, I wish you had chosen the JGP Final when you decided to spoil the results, since it's not going to be on tv anyway (therefore: nothing to spoil). The GPF, on the other hand, will be. You must've missed the big red letters included in the description of The Edge forum: NO GRAND PRIX SPOILERS. :rolleye: I was really waiting for that competition. Oh well.

Jaana said:
I wonder very much that Kathleen Bangs is promoting Yagudin instead of writing an article about the US skater Evan Lycasek? He was a very strong contender for this competition.
Instead? Can't she do both? Or only one thing, for that matter.

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
Windspirit, sorry, I did some editing with my previous message before you posted your reply....

Marjaana

Last edited:

Zanzibar

Final Flight
Sorry if I spilled the beans, point taken - and post edited to not even hint at a result.

I'm not one who waits for TV - we're weeks behind here in the US on coverage - but I can appreciate those who want to.

WhiteNights

Rinkside
If anyone will be over at the French Nationals, please provide updated info. on what has got to be the hottest duo in eligible competition: Brian Joubert and Coach Yagudin.
Still wish Brian would have skated at the Grand Prix Final. Wonder why he skipped,could he really think the french fed. would not give him a slot on the world team if he was fatigued at Nationals?????????

Last edited:

windspirit

On the Ice
Zanzibar, thanks for the edit. The good thing was that I could finally read the GPF forum. :laugh: I usually don't want to be spoiled. Yes, we're behind in the US on coverage, and it annoys me to no end. But after reading about SA and SC before I saw them on tv, I've decided that, as I already thought before, it is more fun when I don't know the results beforehand. But at least I won't be nervous anymore. Always look on the bright side, eh? ;)

It so happened that Evan Lysacek won the Junior GP. Interesting because Girazev is more of a jumper which shoujld rack up those points. Evan is a lyrical skater with great flow and edging.

Would like to see this competition but doubt it will show up on TV.

Joe

windspirit

On the Ice
Joesitz said:
It so happened that Evan Lysacek won the Junior GP. Interesting because Girazev is more of a jumper which shoujld rack up those points. Evan is a lyrical skater with great flow and edging.
Joe, Griazev has great flow and deep edges, too. Even when he blows all his jumps, there's plenty to enjoy in his skating. His jumps are just a delicious dessert. ;) (especially his huuuge axel). If you look at the points from JGP Final, he got higher marks for presentation than Lysacek, both in SP and FP. Like I said in JGP forum; if he had not singled his 3f in SP, it could've gone the other way easily.

Edited to add the second 's' to 'dessert'... :laugh:

Last edited: