15 Cagla DEMIRSAL / Berk AKALIN TUR
16 Maria NOSULIA / Evgen KHOLONIUK UKR
17 Alexandra ALDRIDGE / Daniel EATON USA
18 Danielle GAMELIN / Alexander GAMELIN USA

Last edited:

nadster

Final Flight
Notice a few things.

Canada only used 1 of its 2 mens spots and 1 of the 3 pairs spots. Kind of get mad why they are not using all spots. There definitely is enough quality in both disciplines to fill those spots.

As a result USA ( 4th highest finisher at last JW in mens ) got 2 spots where they would have only received one had Canada used its spots.

NMURA

Medalist
I guess Nguyen is Canada's new hope. Perhaps they conceded a spot to the US in return for not sending Brown or Farris. Overall, men's lineup seems not so strong.

mskater93

Record Breaker
And the US promptly put Savary in. Good for him as he barely met the cut of age date!

shine

Record Breaker
Extremely excited to see Li Zijun. It looks like not a terribly strong ladies field (besides Shelepen and Siraj I guess) so I hope Zijun does really well.

Here's a video of her training 3F-3T http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3vQKYGGc6Xo
And a version of her new SP from Artistry on Ice http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=92zP8kHCTyM

Miyabi Oba is definitely a contender as well. She placed 8th at Jr. Worlds (Zijun 9th) and has a pretty reliable 3s/3t. Agafonova could also contend if she improved consistency and skating skills since last season. This is a tough enough ladies field I'd say.

I'm also excited to see how Nam Nguyen of Canada and He Zhang of China will fare here!

Last edited:

Eris

On the Ice
Li, Siraj, Oba, Shelepen, Agafonova... Rather deep field here. Let alone dark horses we don't know yet. It should interesting, hope there will be any video sources.

Pairs are strong, too - Chinese, Russians, Americans. I'm sure Sui/Han will win, so only two spots on the plate are debatable.

And I'm really hope Kosigina/Moroshkin will put two decent performances and bring home gold. :)

DianaSelene

Medalist
I'm surprised to see Sui/Han in the JGP again this season. I thought that since they already medalled in last years senior's gpf, wouldn't they just want to stay in seniors right now? But I guess it'll be the same as last year. They will try to qualify for both the senior and junior finals. And if they don't get into the senior one, they'll just be in jgpf this year.

I looked at the senior gp entries and only saw Sui/Han in Skate Canada. Is that all they're doing?

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I believe that this year you can compete in the GPF or the JGPF but not both.

FlattFan

Match Penalty
Looks like they updated the list. It's a very deep field. Here are the 13 contenders:

Zijun LI CHN 7
Miyabi OBA JPN 15
Yukiko FUJISAWA JPN 15 S
Yuki NISHINO JPN 15 S
Polina AGAFONOVA RUS 22
Polina SHELEPEN RUS 22
Rosa SHEVELEVA RUS 22 S
Yasmin SIRAJ USA 29
Kiri BAGA USA 29 S
Samantha CESARIO USA 29 S
Lauren DINH USA 29 S
Courtney HICKS USA 29 S
Vanessa LAM USA 29 S

For gold, I think it will come down to just three girls
Polina Shelepen, Samantha Cesario, and Vanessa Lam

Maybe one of these three will bomb and the other one will get a silver.

The rest of them can only hope for a bronze at this point. Anyone of them can be out of the top 10 easily.

babayaga

On the Ice
Looks like they updated the list. It's a very deep field. Here are the 13 contenders:

Zijun LI CHN 7
Miyabi OBA JPN 15
Yukiko FUJISAWA JPN 15 S
Yuki NISHINO JPN 15 S
Polina AGAFONOVA RUS 22
Polina SHELEPEN RUS 22
Rosa SHEVELEVA RUS 22 S
Yasmin SIRAJ USA 29
Kiri BAGA USA 29 S
Lauren DINH USA 29 S
Courtney HICKS USA 29 S
Vanessa LAM USA 29 S

The rest of them can only hope for a bronze at this point. Anyone of them can be out of the top 10 easily.

Wait, those with the letter S next to them are the substitutes, aren't they? This includes Samantha Cesario and Vanessa Lam. Of the rest there seems to be 5 contenders for the podium: Shelepen, Siraj, Agafonova, Li, and Oba.

burntBREAD

Medalist
Wait, those with the letter S next to them are the substitutes, aren't they? This includes Samantha Cesario and Vanessa Lam. Of the rest there seems to be 5 contenders for the podium: Shelepen, Siraj, Agafonova, Li, and Oba.

Yup, S = substitute.

I hope Fujisawa has a much better year! I like her a lot

Nishino on the JGP for the 4th straight year?! :eek: Hopefully she gets the TBD spot at NHK! She did place 6th at Nationals (though behind Risa Shoji who also could get it)

feraina

Record Breaker
I'm surprised to see Sui/Han in the JGP again this season... I looked at the senior gp entries and only saw Sui/Han in Skate Canada. Is that all they're doing?

It's Chinese federation politics. S/H are not Yao Bin's students. A rival coach's, actually... I'm sure they would've been glad to have 2 GP's and be done with JGP altogether.

But now that China has two vacant host picks in CoC (P/T withdrew, Z/W injured), hopefully S/H will get one. I just worry between JGP and GP they'll get too tired. Although a very full competitive schedule last year didn't seem to bother them -- they did 3 GP's including GPF, 2 JGP's, JW, two national championships, and Asian Games. But I think they'd be better off spending more time improving their skating instead of competing so much. The Chinese federation is crazy. They should really let them off of competing at the junior level again. :mad:

NMURA

Medalist
I suspect the Chinese federation is secretly admitting the age-fraud of Sui/Han and decided to let them "stay junior" one more year.

Eris

On the Ice
Ashley Cain replaced Katarina Kulgeyko. (USA)

Does anybody know what happened to Katarina?

silverlake22

Record Breaker
I suspect the Chinese federation is secretly admitting the age-fraud of Sui/Han and decided to let them "stay junior" one more year.

But that would only affect Worlds and 4CC eligibility, as long as Sui turned 14 (not 15) by this past July 1st, then she would be old enough to compete on the senior GP series this season. Remember that the rules to compete on the GP are different than that of Worlds and 4CC, so to me, even if they are admitting to lying about her age, this decision is puzzling. I mean unless she's still 13/turned 14 after July 1st, in which case it would make sense, but I thought the suspected age difference of Sui was only a year or so, and according to her ISU bio, she turned 16 in early July, so she should be ok for the GP. Unless I am missing something?

NMURA

Medalist
A junior pair can compete at senior GP but that's a kind of extracurricular activity. As long as S/H (presumably) have no chance to compete at senior worlds and are expected to compete at Jr worlds again, their main field should be JGP.

hybfc

Rinkside
the american girls are not as good as you think...

Zijun LI CHN 7
Miyabi OBA JPN 15
Yukiko FUJISAWA JPN 15 S
Yuki NISHINO JPN 15 S
Polina AGAFONOVA RUS 22
Polina SHELEPEN RUS 22
Rosa SHEVELEVA RUS 22 S
Yasmin SIRAJ USA 29
Kiri BAGA USA 29 S
Lauren DINH USA 29 S
Courtney HICKS USA 29 S
Vanessa LAM USA 29 S