JGP Volvo Cup | Page 3 | Golden Skate

JGP Volvo Cup

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Congrats to all the medalists.

Congratulations to Canadian pairs Purdy/Marinaro on the bronze medal. Why do Poulin/Servant always screw up at major competitions. They are a very good team but always succumb to stupid mistakes.

Good thing they snatched the bronze medal instead of being 10 (switched with L/J of China) else the winner board :eek: would read by nations, i.e. 3 Chinese Pairs, then 3 Russian and 3 American.

A big difference is that the Canadians didn't fall whereas L/J had 3 falls! In fact 6 out of 11 LPs incurred fall deductions.

bigsisjiejie

Record Breaker
Congrats to the Ladies Medalists

Shelepen, Li, Agafanova. Looking forward to seeing the top 10 FS's on youtube. Interesting tidbit from the summaries: Ashley Cain was 7th in the FS but had the highest PCS, wouldn't have expected that!

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Still 7th is a pretty good finish for a pair skater who was competing here as an alternate!

Siraj was 3rd in the LP, but had too much ground to make up from her problems in the SP

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
American young Ladies did well, with the bronze by Yasmin Siraj and Ashley Cain at 7th place with the higest PCS, a head above the field together with Zijun Li. Winner Polina Shelpen is in her own league as far as the TES is concerned but her PCS is not outstanding at 5th. I guess the two with the big discrepancies should work on the weaker aspects of their skating.

Congrats to the medalists and all who tried their best.

FlattFan

Match Penalty
Ashley Cain looks like Kiira Korpi, skates like Kiira Korpi, and gets PCS like Kiira Korpi. Yay for her.
If this girl can land her jumps, she'll be Laura Lepisto one day.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Ashley Cain looks like Kiira Korpi, skates like Kiira Korpi, and gets PCS like Kiira Korpi. Yay for her.
If this girl can land her jumps, she'll be Laura Lepisto one day.

Why not Kiira Korpi? Haha, I wouldn't say that Laura is really much more consistent of a jumper than Kiira tbh. But they are both great, and I agree, Ashley is a very elegant skater!

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Just watched the ladies FS videos, a bit of a lackluster event in the FS overall, apart from Polina Shelepen who's jumps were really on tonight. Her spins and in betweens are also improved, but she still has aways to go. When Zijun cleans up her FS I think it has the potential to be gorgeous, and even here there were some great moments. Polina Agafonova has definitely grown up a lot and there were some nice parts of the program, and I expect her skating to improve as the season goes on as that is her usual trend. It was nice to see her limit the jump mistakes here though and at least be able to hold onto the bronze. Yasmin and Ashley skated like I expected them to, too bad the scores were so close and they missed out on medals. Does this mean Yasmin will not be assigned to another event? I know she technically has been already, but usually aren't those assignments unofficial and they could put in one of the alternates instead? That's not to say she doesn't deserve another assignment after finishing 5th here, it's still a good result, it will just make it a little hard for her to make the final now and there are so many other talented ladies in line for assignment right now so it might make more sense to give one of them a shot.

skatingfan04

Final Flight
:biggrin::biggrin:I can't believe we get to watch the event on youtube!! Any chance that they will keep this up for all of the JGP's?

I just wanted to make a few quick comments on the Canadians.

I watched the men's SP, and felt bad for Nam. Poor guy even managed to go down on a spin. I guess this will be good experience for him, seeing that he's so young and has almost none. I had the pleasure of seeing him at a local summer competition this year, and despite the fact that he needs to mature and develop his artistry, I really do think that he has something special. I hope he has a better go of it tomorrow.

As for the pairs, I was really impressed with Purdy/Marinaro. I don't remember them being so good. Their elements were clean, and some of them quite unique and interesting. They went for a higher level of technical difficulty than they have in the past, and their unison was pretty spot on. I even liked their programs. I did feel like some of the movement was a bit mechanical, but that is to be expected this early in the year. I think this bodes really well for the rest of their season.

In dance, my heart broke for Poulin/Servant once again.:disapp: Anyone who follows junior dance in Canada would have seen their rough showing at nationals last year, and it seems like problems held them back once again. I really wish that these strange mistakes didn't keep hampering this team, because I think that they're fabulous performers with a smooth style, great chemistry and interesting programs. I really hope that they can redeem themselves tomorrow.

DianaSelene

Medalist
I was a bit upset with Polina Shelepen's programs. Even with the clean free skate, everything was so unattractive and boring. I just hope her performance will improve in later competitions. Zijun Li was fine if it weren't for her mistakes. However, I like her short program more.

Sui/Han's skating was so atrocious, it was funny. I couldn't help laughing......... I'm pretty sure they will not be so successful in the senior grand prix this year with that type of skating.

Scout

Final Flight
Sui/Han's skating was so atrocious, it was funny. I couldn't help laughing......... I'm pretty sure they will not be so successful in the senior grand prix this year with that type of skating.

I haven't really being a Sui/Han fan. I tend to find their skating a bit frantic, and in the past, sometimes a bit reckless. They did make a lot of mistakes, which means that there is potential to score much higher. If they fix those mistakes, I do think they have a chance at medalling at the GP events. In China, I'd guess that the podium would consist of Sui/Han, Zhang/Zhang and Kavaguti/Smirnov (not in that order), although Moore-Towers/Moscovitch have a chance. I don't think they have a realistic shot at medalling in the finals, if they do make it. Last year, they benefitted from it being the year after the Olympics.

skatingfan04

Final Flight
A number of jumping problems for Nam Nguyen. However, I felt he did a nice job of holding it together. Hopefully this experience will help him in his next JGP.

A much better outing for Pulin/Servant today, although there were still some troubles. It's a shame they didn't move up, but I liked the program. Hopefully they will have cleaned up the rough spots by their next JGP.

DianaSelene

Medalist
I haven't really being a Sui/Han fan. I tend to find their skating a bit frantic, and in the past, sometimes a bit reckless. They did make a lot of mistakes, which means that there is potential to score much higher. If they fix those mistakes, I do think they have a chance at medalling at the GP events. In China, I'd guess that the podium would consist of Sui/Han, Zhang/Zhang and Kavaguti/Smirnov (not in that order), although Moore-Towers/Moscovitch have a chance. I don't think they have a realistic shot at medalling in the finals, if they do make it. Last year, they benefitted from it being the year after the Olympics.

I think they not only benefitted that it was after the olympics, but also because the places where they scored high happened to be in China. I actually think they did not deserve bronze at the final. Way too many mistakes if you compare to Iliushechkina Maisuradze whose only mistake was an underroted jump and a not so good spiral sequence. Sui/Han fell like two times (I think) and she double footed the quad throw (as always). The scores for them last year were ridiculous. Such messy skating should not get good PCS.

geoskate

On the Ice
A much better outing for Pulin/Servant today, although there were still some troubles. It's a shame they didn't move up, but I liked the program. Hopefully they will have cleaned up the rough spots by their next JGP.

I really question whether Poulin/Servant should get a second assignment. (They are currently assigned to the JGP in Romania). Sixth place does not justify an automatic second assignment, IMO. There are simply too many other Canadian ice dance teams that are at least as good as they are, some of whom do not yet have assignments.

The three subs for Romania are Paradis/Ouellette, Fournier-Beaudry/Breton and Bent/MacKeen. I think Skate Canada should send Paradis/Ouellette to Romania instead of Poulin/Servant. They were four points ahead of Poulin/Servant in the free dance at the Quebec Summer competition. (Poulin/Servant did not skate the short dance there, so we can't compare short dance scores). Paradis/Ouellette are currently 4th in my list of competition scores (after the Hawegawas, Orford/Williams and Edwards/Pang), and are the only team in the top five who do not yet have a firm assignment. Poulin/Servant are 11th in my list of this season's competition scores.

Actually, I wouldn't even send Nam Nguyen to his second assignment. I wouldn't rule out a second assignment for him, because there isn't the depth in Canadian men's skating that there is in ice dance. Still, a 12th-place finish is hardly a stellar outing, and I think some others deserve the change to prove themselves before he gets a second chance. His second assignment is currently the JGP in Romania. I would send Christophe Belly-Lemelin or Garrett Gosselin instead (both alternates, and neither of whom have any firm assignments), and put Nam in to either Italy or Estonia.

Last edited:

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
So pleased that the Gamelins were able to get past their horrible SD and put in a respectable FD performance, that Poulin/Servant did better, and that Aldridge / Eaton really nailed their program.

And congratulations to the Ukrainians! What an improvement over last year.

Scout

Final Flight
Actually, I wouldn't even send Nam Nguyen to his second assignment. I wouldn't rule out a second assignment for him, because there isn't the depth in Canadian men's skating that there is in ice dance. Still, a 12th-place finish is hardly a stellar outing, and I think some others deserve the change to prove themselves before he gets a second chance. His second assignment is currently the JGP in Romania. I would send Christophe Belly-Lemelin or Garrett Gosselin instead (both alternates, and neither of whom have any firm assignments), and put Nam in to either Italy or Estonia.

I also think that a 12th place finish shouldn't automatically qualify Nam for a second assignment. This is part of what frustrates me with SC's selection strategy. Despite the fact Nam didn't skate well, there are (were) enough spots and too few Canadian men who met the selection criteria, that he could easily have his second assignment anyways. He could have a chance to redeem himself, and get over the nerves. But since SC has been declining spots, I agree completely that other skaters should be considered for events before Nam automatically get a second.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
I was a bit upset with Polina Shelepen's programs. Even with the clean free skate, everything was so unattractive and boring. I just hope her performance will improve in later competitions. Zijun Li was fine if it weren't for her mistakes. However, I like her short program more.

I feel like Morozov is trying to turn Polina into a mini Miki. I mean, both programs were to music Miki's used before with very similar Morozov choreography. Granted, the two skaters share a lot of the same strengths and weaknesses, but I'd like to see Polina develop her artistic side more and come into her own from a stylistic standpoint. She is a very talented jumper, and has grown into a beautiful young women with a balanchine physique ideal for this sport, and yet she doesn't seem to use it to her full advantage. Idk, but at least she's on the right track, and it's great to see she can still pull out the 3-3s after the dramatic physical changes she's gone through these past 2 years.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Nam earned his spots as the Canadian Junior Men champion. Over the years he has shown himself to be a great talent with great potential, highly likely to be a future Canadian Men champion competitive on the world stage. What he didn't have was international experience and feedback from international judges. I don't see why his eligibility to another JGP event should be determined by his first and only participation, thus cutting off his learning opportunities and valuable lessons and experiences. Don't forget he is competing against skaters 2 to 6 years his senior. A 12th in SP and 9th in LP is really not bad for a 13 year old in his first international Junior event. (A 17 year old Patrick Chan went to his first Seniors Worlds as the Canadian Champion and came in 9th. Not great but he has got on the podium ever since, and is a dominating World champion at 4th participation.)

However we want to criticize Skate Canada for their selection criteria on whom to sent to the JGP, granting the promising national champion his spots and learning opportunities is only reasonable and to be supported.

Nam has pretty good PCS and his problem are in jumps, with UR and edge calls so it's obvious what he has to work on. My impression is that Nam is cerebral with very wise guidance from his father so I am sure lessons will be learned very quickly and intelligently. The boy is very ambitious and competitive. I wouldn't want to be in his way. :)

eta. I believe being the lone Canadian Man in his debut made it harder for little Nam. Patrick had Jeff as the teammate at his first Worlds. Such support is especially valuable for a rookie.

Last edited:

nadster

Final Flight
I also think that a 12th place finish shouldn't automatically qualify Nam for a second assignment. This is part of what frustrates me with SC's selection strategy. Despite the fact Nam didn't skate well, there are (were) enough spots and too few Canadian men who met the selection criteria, that he could easily have his second assignment anyways. He could have a chance to redeem himself, and get over the nerves. But since SC has been declining spots, I agree completely that other skaters should be considered for events before Nam automatically get a second.

Totally agree with you and geoskate.

I also don't get leaving spots blank especially considering the ISU ranking and JW skate order issues. This year Russia is the main beneficiary of us leaving men's spots blank. American already gets Sweden's unused spots.

Check the thread in summer competitions where geoskate has mentioned all the men who have met Canada's JGP. There were many deserving men.

As well if they juniorized ( ie use the higher junior PCS multipliers instead of the much lower novice ones ) the novice scores of the top Canadians at the last nationals, I am sure they would have made the standard as well. Then we would have a pool of about 6 deserving men for the early JGP's where entries ( or more accurately a shortlist of entries ) have to be determined before the summer competitions take place.

I also don't understand why SC does not simply list everybody being considered for a JGP slot as a substitute. The Americans certainly do this. There is no limit on how many substitutes you can list. Basically you can choose any "official entry" or substitute right until the last second.

The other thing is I wonder if it would have helped Nam if Canada did send a second entry. Having a buddy might have reduced the pressure on a 13 year old and eased him into the JGP soup a little bit. Certainly any of the novice medalists would have been a good companion and that second entry just might have skated well enough to open his ISU ranking account. Nam finishing 12th does not get any ISU points.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
While I agree with the general thrust of what you're saying (that as Canadian Jr. Champion, he earned his two spots, regardless of his performance here), I wish I was as convinced as you about his potential.