3A-3A sequence | Page 2 | Golden Skate

3A-3A sequence

FTnoona

Final Flight
That is just amazing. His triple axel technique is just gorgeous.

But I do wonder whether Yuzuru can do such impressive jumps within the context of a full competitive program. I know he has problems with asthma and that really takes a beating to his stamina....

I remember when he competed at junior worlds in 2009 he looked so tired at the end of his program but in 2010 jr worlds he looked as if he had better stamina. Hopefully it would be the same for this year. He looked so dead tired at the end of his FS at 4CC this year....

jatale

On the Ice
Is this kid human? He looks unbeatable if he can perform all these triple and quad jump combinations in competition, I cannot even begin to imagine the total points he would earn. Mind boggling. Is there any other male skater with this sort of jump arsenal available and functional? On top of all this, Hanyu does all these moves (mostly only done by women) like Ina Bauer into a Axel jump (a Yuna signature move) and a Biellmann spin etc.

Last edited:

Buttercup

Record Breaker
Is this kid human? He looks unbeatable if he can perform all these triple and quad jump combinations in competition, I cannot even begin to imagine the total points he would earn. Mind boggling. Is there any other male skater with this sort of jump arsenal available and functional? On top of all this, Hanyu does all these moves (mostly only done by women) like Ina Bauer into a 3A (a Yuna signature move) and a Biellmann spin etc.
Yu-Na's been adding to her jump arsenal? Maybe I should pay more attention to ladies' skating! :biggrin:

Yuzuru's progress has been astounding. I first noticed him in 2009, and while you could see the potential, his skating has improved so much since. If he can stay healthy, he might do some truly special things in the future.

jatale

On the Ice
Yu-Na's been adding to her jump arsenal? Maybe I should pay more attention to ladies' skating! :biggrin:

Oops! You caught me! I've edited my previous post to correct my mistake! I also can no longer find the clip of Hanyu doing this move (Ina Bauer into Axel), maybe I imagined it?

Last edited:

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Yuzuru was just one of the most promising up and comers for me until I read some information brought here by a Japanese fan. (I can't recall who did or link it because I don't remember the thread title.) As I love looking into the mind of the skaters, (though unfortunately not much about the Japanese skaters is accessible or comprehensible to me,) sometimes something unique and special about a skater's mindset will catch my attention and curiosity to watch how they turn out.

For Yuzuru, it was reported he added Patrick Chan to his idol list when he watched Chan live at COR and how cute he was that, admiring Chan's skating, he wished to be able to ride on his back while Chan skated. I'll elaborate on what I wrote then. What really stood out for me were

1) He named non Japanese skaters to be his idols instead of the traditional citing of senior compatriot skating stars, indicating his mind not being litmited within the proverbial box, and his not being concerned about stating his unconventional choices.

2) He had several idols he looked up to - Plushenko, Weir, Chan, and, I'm sure, others. I realized then he would be an excellent all round skater, modeling the best in different aspects of skating. Again an open high aiming mind with no usual self imposed limits.

3) His desired way of learning Chan's skating skills indicated he learned in a very different, unique, and probably the most effective way. He wanted to feel Chan's skate as if he were him. I think he's able to learn by "absorption", by "being" rather than copying, and is instinctive in picking up skills through his mind power instead of the unsual ways of being taught and physically drill trained. Even right there in COR practice, he imitated Chan and found himself skating faster. That was very quick learning as he immediately put something new into practice. Right then I expected him to rise in his skills and techniques very rapidly.

As of now, mere months later, these feeling I had about him are being borned out as shown in his amazing jumps and out of ordinary combinations and unique ways of coming into his elements. I have no doubt his presentation will improve to a very high level as well. I don't have any information or knowledge about his competitive mind, so I can't say how well he will bring his skills into competitions. Presumably, he aspires to achieve as successfully in competitions as his idols. The only probable obstacle then is his asthmas and I wonder if he would overcome that with his mind.

In passing and OT, a new young skater who has piqued my interest in her future due to an indication of her mindset is Christina Gao. I was very impressed with her beautiful skating when I first watched her in the Olympic year and thought she would be the future of US Ladies skating. I have not followed her closely since but was impressed with a recent interview in which she aspired to be dominant like Patrick Chan. Why am I impressed? Well, I had just listened to questions and answers from various skaters in the US Champs Camp. In citing which quality each skater would love most to have from any other skater, each of the Ladies cited a recent successful female skater. No one said anything like I would like to have Plushenko's quads or Lambiel's, or even Ruh's, spin. They limited themselves even when the question was about fantasy, choosing to be "realistic" or not to appear over ambitious. Gao didn't limit herself by gender and she was modeling someone's achievement and mind rather than particular skills, just as Chan models after Federer and Kwan for their dominance.

There are many other important factors for success, intrinsic and extrinsic, and I have very limited knowledge about either of these young skaters, and of most of their competitors for that matter. However, I do consider the mind the most important and most intrinsic basis and predictor. I wouldn't be surprised to see great accomplishments by either.

let`s talk

Match Penalty
Oh god... . SF, get over your "long live Chan" rants. Hanyu wears a bracelet with the Plush name on it, he admires Johnny skating, as well as Steph and Chan. As for his mindset, a good deal of J-skaters expressed their admiration of non-J skaters. There is nothing unusual in it.

evangeline

Record Breaker
With all due respect, SkateFiguring, don't you think there's a lot of, er, extrapolation going on in that post?

1) He named non Japanese skaters to be his idols instead of the traditional citing of senior compatriot skating stars, indicating his mind not being litmited within the proverbial box, and his not being concerned about stating his unconventional choices.

Yuzuru Hanyu is hardly unusual in having non-compatriot idols. Daisuke Takahashi, for instance, has openly stated his admiration for Stephane Lambiel's skating (according to Daisuke, Stephane's Poeta is his personal all-time favourite program ever) and this was the main reason why Daisuke asked Stephane Lambiel to choreograph his exhibition last season.

Nobunari Oda has mentioned that Ilia Klimkin is his favourite skater.

Takahiko Kozuka has stated that Kurt Browning is his longtime idol, which was why Takahiko stayed in Toronto for the summer after the Olympics to work with Kurt and have Kurt choreograph his exhibition last season.

Last edited:
Daisuke admires Lambiel? That makes me happy; the two of them are favorites of mine for pretty much the same reason, their fluidity and artistry. Takahashi has a better arsenal of jumps, but both of them bring that gleam to skating that is what pulls me in. Of the skaters of the past decade or so, those are the two that have definitely made it onto my life list, along with Browning, Curry, and Yagudin. I think Hanyu might make it onto there eventually as well; what a phenom!

Buttercup

Record Breaker
I think the key to Yuzuru Hanyu's success and the most impressive thing about him isn't which skaters he admires, but how he's able to watch others, learn from them, and apply what he sees in his own skating without compromising his style. Rather than "how can I be more like him", his approach appears to be, "how do I make myself a better skater". So you can see the influences, but it's not derivative in any way.

FWIW, if I had to pick the one skater whose style and abilities Yuzuru parallels the most, I'd go with Johnny Weir: both are very graceful athletes and both are very clearly natural talents, having gone quite far with considerably less training than many of their contemporaries (Johnny due to a late start, Yuzuru because he can't train too many hours a day). But Yuzuru is stronger technically than Johnny was, and I doubt he'll have similar off-ice issues.

I don't know much about his coach, but clearly she's been doing a good job on the technical side, which in turns allows Yuzuru to focus on the artistic aspects of his skating rather than just on landing jumps and getting his levels up.

Last edited:

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
I completely understand and expect that most skaters admire other skaters not based on nationality, but I recalled learning somewhere that Japanese skaters usually name Japanese stars as idols when speaking to Japanese media, possibly because they are prompted as media people are apt to do. It's absolutely possible I'm 100% wrong.

What I tried to do is differentiate Yuzuru's learning and progress or where his natural talent lies, and the difference may be that he likely has more insights and epihanies and puts them to use. While long hard training is usually the required process, it's often an epihany that pushes through a level for an athlete or anybody in pursuit of a goal or progress. Whether Yuzuru does progress this way of course is my extrapolation and guess, but it's an educated guess.

I think that's perhaps a big part of what we call natural talents, besides the optimal physical conditions. Instead of having blocks or an Ah-ha moment after lots of trials and errors, a super talented person just naturally zeroes onto the crux, the essence, or the "secret" and takes it for granted. They may not think of it as an epiphany at all.

I was particularly intrigued by his wish to ride with Chan as nobody has ever expressed the learning like that. He wants to feel the technique and if he can feel it in his mind, he can do it. I think Nam Nguyen, too, learns something similar from his dad, which is why he is also a young skater I have particular interest in and high hope for.

Last edited:

Tommmy

Rinkside
Yuzuru was just one of the most promising up and comers for me until I read some information brought here by a Japanese fan. (I can't recall who did or link it because I don't remember the thread title.) As I love looking into the mind of the skaters, (though unfortunately not much about the Japanese skaters is accessible or comprehensible to me,) sometimes something unique and special about a skater's mindset will catch my attention and curiosity to watch how they turn out.

I think you're referring to this post.
http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/sh...ds-for-the-Men&p=554456&viewfull=1#post554456

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
I hope Yuzuru will ditch Johnny the costume designer. He should leave Pink catsuits to Aliona and wear somthing blousony a la Rippon. His boyish body doesn't contribute to a mature and sophisticated presence on ice.

FTnoona

Final Flight
I agree that Yuzuru needs to ditch Johnny as his costume designer. In my opinion some of the outfits are horrible (2010 FS, 2011 SP).... I think his presence on the ice is fine. I don't understand what ppl think of as mature and sophisticated. I don't think it's Hanyu choice that his body is lean and tall to begin with.

shine

Record Breaker
Daisuke admires Lambiel? That makes me happy; the two of them are favorites of mine for pretty much the same reason, their fluidity and artistry. Takahashi has a better arsenal of jumps, but both of them bring that gleam to skating that is what pulls me in. Of the skaters of the past decade or so, those are the two that have definitely made it onto my life list, along with Browning, Curry, and Yagudin. I think Hanyu might make it onto there eventually as well; what a phenom!
And in the recent interview clip that Chan did with IceNetwork, he was asked if he could have a part of any skater, who would it be, he said definitely Stephane Lambiel, because of the way he moves and performs. It makes me smile when skaters openly express their admiration for other skaters, shows a passion for the sport and a humbleness to want to get better :)

Hanyu's jumps are indeed amazing. He's definitely got a unique talent. It'll be interesting to see how he'll develop in the next few years.

Last edited:

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Denis Ten talked a lot about the much admired Lambiel too in the interview I linked. As well as Lysacek and Takahashi.

evangeline

Record Breaker
FWIW, if I had to pick the one skater whose style and abilities Yuzuru parallels the most, I'd go with Johnny Weir: both are very graceful athletes and both are very clearly natural talents, having gone quite far with considerably less training than many of their contemporaries (Johnny due to a late start, Yuzuru because he can't train too many hours a day). But Yuzuru is stronger technically than Johnny was, and I doubt he'll have similar off-ice issues.

To me, Yuzuru combines the best qualities of two of his idols: Evgeni Plushenko's prodigious jumping ability with Johnny Weir's liquid-smooth style.

I hope to see him live one day--I hear his jumps and on-ice presence is even more impressive in person than what can be seen via TV/Internet.

treeloving

Medalist
I agree that Yuzuru needs to ditch Johnny as his costume designer. In my opinion some of the outfits are horrible (2010 FS, 2011 SP).... I think his presence on the ice is fine. I don't understand what ppl think of as mature and sophisticated. I don't think it's Hanyu choice that his body is lean and tall to begin with.

This!!!!!! :agree:

I would like to share with you guys a bit more about Yuzuru mentality. After the earthquake, he begin to think that due to the situation he shouldn't skate; however, after he decide to continue his body in not in good condition anymore. To this point I have read somewhere that the way he think about this situation is he doesn't want to blame the earth-quake. He said he doesn't want people to talk about him as "Yuzuru who cannot do his best due to the earthquake" but he want to be "Yuzuru who does his best even there is earthquake" This one statement make me admire him even more than winning medals or landing quad.

100yen

You can't explain witchcraft
Medalist
I would like to share with you guys a bit more about Yuzuru mentality. After the earthquake, he begin to think that due to the situation he shouldn't skate; however, after he decide to continue his body in not in good condition anymore. To this point I have read somewhere that the way he think about this situation is he doesn't want to blame the earth-quake. He said he doesn't want people to talk about him as "Yuzuru who cannot do his best due to the earthquake" but he want to be "Yuzuru who does his best even there is earthquake" This one statement make me admire him even more than winning medals or landing quad.

Yuzuruuuuuu!! :party:
Wow, he's got a champion mentality on top of a smooth blade on the ice and crazy jumps. Thank you for sharing this.

Also, on the other subject, while obviously the Japanese media would like to hear of some new upcoming skaters inspired by Japanese champs of the past, it isn't frowned upon at all for them to name idols of different nationalities. Actually, the Japanese fans are known for being super encouraging to skaters of all nationalities, so I'm sure many of them would be thrilled to hear he was inspired by Lambiel or others.