Joannie Rochette thread | Golden Skate

Joannie Rochette thread

christinaskater

Medalist
Joannie is one of the best I love her!

I love her "Aranjuez" program during the 2009 Canadian nationals!
Joannie Rochette Olympics 2010

silverpond

On the Ice
Joannie's inspiring performances at Vancouver were among the highlights of the figure skating competion, if not among all of the competitions at those Olympics. She was magnificicent, powerful, graceful, and gave a lovely portrait of what competitive figure skating is all about.

How this young woman managed to compete at such a great level after suffering the tragic loss of her beloved mother was amazing. In my opinion, her bronze medal was solid gold.

John King

Final Flight
Her 2010 Olympic SP still makes me cry! Watch it from the time she's conferring with her her coach at the boards, up to the point where the music and program ends, and you'll never guess anything was wrong. Landed those combination jumps beautifully. Only when the camera closes in on her after, and she tears up, that you remember the context.

Yet Joannie didn't see herself as an inspiration, or at least setting out to be one, she just felt she had to do it, and not regret not doing it ten years from today. Perhaps that's the best kind on inspiration, one who is one just by being herself.