Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Entries JGP Brisbane

Custom Title
    Vanessa Lam
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=he_OED-MWYg

Level 4 step sequence in both SP and LP. Very impressive.
    Level 4 on all but 1 spin.
    I'm not sure about the program. It looks like her coaches just put a bunch of good spins, steps, and a few jumps here and there, and some transitions in the middle. She milked every points in her non-jump elements. I like that she went for 2 flips and 2 flutzes. Maybe take out the second flutz and add a loop in the future.

http://www.isuresults.com/results/jg..._FS_Scores.pdf

Judge #5 hated her guts. Gave her a -3 GOE on her triple toe. And later a -3 GOE on her triple flip. ***.
    Last edited by FlattFan; 09-09-2011 at 12:59 PM.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by silverlake22 View Post
    Anyone else feel Risa wuzrobbed of gold here? Her FS was just like wow, gorgeous. And Courtney's was exciting and she has some huge jumps, but she fell twice while Risa didn't fall at all. And i'm scratching my head over how Courtney's PCS were higher than everyone else's, I would have had Risa and Polina K. 1 and 2 in PCS, and Courtney below Lam in PCS too. But I don't know, maybe Courtney's one of those skater's you need to see live to appreciate or something. Overall a well-skated event, congrats to the medalists!
    I don't know, I think the tech caller today wasn't strict, Risa got credit for almost all of her jumps, but there were underrotations for sure, and girls who got < for some of their jumps were lucky because those jumps deserved <<, not to mention level 4 for steps which is rare even for seniors.
    ITA about Hicks's PCS. Her presentation isn't even near the level of Shoji and Korobeinikova, and she should be far below Lam and even Hae-Jin Kim whose FS was a total disaster in this aspect

Constable , Costume Police colleen o'neill's Avatar
    I'm behind in my watching.To go back to the SD for a minute..

The sound is so awful , it's sometimes hard to tell whether the skaters are even in time or not. I thought O/W's SD looked somehow sharper at BCSS, but how much of that is due to better lighting, different camera angle and better sound at that event , I don't know....B/M's twizzles were a mess, and there seems to be a lot of Linichuk posing in their program. I like the look of them as a couple ,but think I was much more impressed with Aldridge and Eaton ,last week in Riga ( that sounds like a movie title ).

I'd like O/W to find a prettier position for that first lift..looks a bit like hanging on for dear life..but Doris,please don't open the floodgates with Thomas' hair That was the first thing anyone commented on when O/W came on the scene last year ( I'm imagining the endless discussions comparing his hair and Charlie's.. who highlights, who doesn't, and whether Thomas should go much shorter..whether it suits him or not , or should he get out the ironing board.. Could mean a special trip to the wine store for me. )

I watched Zenkova / Sinitsin's FD from the Russian test skates ( Gayane suite), and thought it looked pretty good..I'm very curious to see O/W's Gone With the Wind , and B/M's ..( do we know what it is ?..got to check doris' list ).. I don't know what to expect ;I'm not a Linichuk fan, but whatever the program is, it will come down to how well they skate.
    Last edited by colleen o'neill; 09-09-2011 at 01:49 PM.

Custom Title
    I'd pay good money for HD quality with decent audio. Wish IceNetwork covered this.

Rejoicing in the land of Kwan kwanatic's Avatar
    Naked Ice's take on the ladies event

http://thenakedice.blogspot.com/2011...es-review.html

I think Risa should have come out on top too. I think the overall quality of her skating and the fact that she was 90% clean should have outweighed Hicks's sloppy skating and two falls. I probably would have put Vanessa narrowly in 2nd place too...

Custom Title
    I think the TS was rather lenient to Shoji. Her +3T in the SP was more deserving to be called 3T<<. The lutz and the loop in the FS was UR but ratified. It's lucky for her to hang on to 2nd place.

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    Anyone else feel Risa wuzrobbed of gold here? Her FS was just like wow, gorgeous. And Courtney's was exciting and she has some huge jumps, but she fell twice while Risa didn't fall at all. And i'm scratching my head over how Courtney's PCS were higher than everyone else's, I would have had Risa and Polina K. 1 and 2 in PCS, and Courtney below Lam in PCS too. But I don't know, maybe Courtney's one of those skater's you need to see live to appreciate or something. Overall a well-skated event, congrats to the medalists!
    Checking out the protocols:

Courtney fell twice, but the 3F in combination and solo 3Lo were not underrotated; only the 3Lo in combination

As a result, her base score was 55.45, and her total element score was 55.05. All of her non jump elements were level 4. She did get an edge call on the flutz.

Risa's solo 3S and solo 3F were both judged underrotated, and the 3F got an edge call as a lip, too. One of her spins was level 3 and her steps were level 3.

So her base score was 51.13. And her Element score was 52.55.

So that's how Courtney beat her. The falls only cost here -3 in GOE and -1 for the fall each.

Courtney is a very fast skater and a fast spinner and that will cause her PCS to be a bit higher than if she were slower, too.

At least that would be my guess.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by oleada View Post
    Me either. None of the programs stand out.

That said, I'm shocked that Zenkova/Sinitsin got lower GOE in their twizzles than Bonacorsi/Mager. The latter were practically doing two different things! I'd have had them behind the Canadians and the Russians...not my much, but still behind.
    Bonacorsi's twizzles were the worst in comparison to her partner. He's twizzling like Charlie White and she's like Frederica Fiella last seaon or someone. You have never seen such awful positions in twizzles.

Hicks program was huge and ambitous and I loved it. She was doing a 3/3 at the halfway point (attempt) and never lost attack for a second. Then her HIcks spin where she drops suddenly was great.

take off the oven mitts
    yeah. hicks' jumps were bigger and the successful ones had better run out, but i still think shoji should have had higher PCS in the FS at least. if hicks had the jumps or skating skills of chan i could understand winning the FS with splats, but this... unrefined stroking, presentation, posture... choppy program with choppy musical cut... she's the anti-chan.

of course, i'm biased, because i prefer skaters who pay attention to posture and have a certain control, balance and refinement to their skating. hicks just looks like she's racing from one end of the rink to the other.
    Last edited by skfan; 09-09-2011 at 07:13 PM.

Custom Title
    First group done. I started watching the Slovakians but figured out that it might be best to let them improve beforehand. The total scores are less than the top seniors are getting for the SD for the bottom two teams.

Custom Title
    I'm not a huge fan of Courtney's style, but I have to say that she's refreshingly out of the ordinary, does have a program packed with transitions (more so than any other lady in tthis competition), uses the music well and her jumps are much bigger than Risa's. There's definitely a lot of room for improvement and polish, but I find her quite unique

I definitely don't think she should've had lower PCS than Hae Jin Kim, who skated from jump to jump, as someone else said.

Custom Title
    Orford/Williams FD

1. The D/W comparisons won't stop. The dance spin in particular, but in general, I see them aping the fast and furious style of the American team.
    2. Like the whirling dirvish twizzles.
    3. They skate with tremendous attack and seem quite fast.
    4. There's definitely an unfinished feeling to this. The first lift seems like it should be a long lift, but I don't think it will be. I'll have to withold judgement - hopefully a better audio track will come from the JGPF or JWs (or Nationals).
    5. They won the FD and overall.
    6. B/M beat Z/S by 0.01 on the FD.
    7. colleen, what do you think?

Rejoicing in the land of Kwan kwanatic's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by skfan View Post
    yeah. hicks' jumps were bigger and the successful ones had better run out, but i still think shoji should have had higher PCS in the FS at least. if hicks had the jumps or skating skills of chan i could understand winning the FS with splats, but this... unrefined stroking, presentation, posture... choppy program with choppy musical cut... she's the anti-chan.

of course, i'm biased, because i prefer skaters who pay attention to posture and have a certain control, balance and refinement to their skating. hicks just looks like she's racing from one end of the rink to the other.
    Amen! I think that's what bothered me about Hicks winning of Shoji. Hicks only had a few big jumps--nothing else. Her presentation is just SO messy! She was the worst of the top 5 and yet she received the highest PCS...plus she had more visible errors than any other of the top 5...I think she was gifted with that gold. Shoji's program was well-choreographed and executed cleanly. I don't think she was rewarded enough for that...
    Last edited by kwanatic; 09-09-2011 at 11:27 PM.

Constable , Costume Police colleen o'neill's Avatar
    Pogue.. I think O/W have a really nice dance that can only get better.
    Yes , I think they need to be neater here and there,but their speed ,without a lot of awkward reaching for each other ( I think I see a big difference in this over last year )..and their confidence make it easy to forget that they've only been together for a year and a half this month , and come from two different schools.I'm sure they'll continue to work on this stuff.( It'll be interesting to see what they tinker with over the season )

The spin ? ..Meryl and Charlie's was different ( and more difficult ,IMO )..O/W are in opposite direction camels, and she just takes hers into a layover position..D/W had Charlie in a camel and Meryl in a front extension, torso bent right back from the hip. ( holy toledo !) My sister and I both had the same thought when we saw it..that must be how our other sister had her Tango accident on the dance floor at the Raging Bull ( a local Portugese dine n' dance ).

I know the comparisons are bound to continue..it's the speed and the hair.( inevitable).. But aping ? I don't think it's that anymore than I thought P/I were aping V/M last year. Lots of skaters wear their hair that length. It moves nicely and suits a variety of costume styles. He just happens to be blonde.( I don't think L'Oreal has anything to do with it.).. He's really a different physical type than Charlie , and since the speed lends their skating such a nice feeling of freedom , I guess they'll live with it. Mager is actually closer to Charlie's build, and he wears a mop, too... but it's dark, so that's OK, then.

Z/S still hasn't come up for me.. ( I walked my dogs and everything, in the meantime ) guess I'll try later or tomorrow. I'm going to try to see some of the men before I crash.
    Last edited by colleen o'neill; 09-10-2011 at 02:24 AM.

Custom Title
    You take O/W's program and set it to Phanton or whatever D/W did last season and they O/W couldn't look any more like D/W.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast