4 Ayesha YIGIT / Shane SPEDEN NZL
5 Valeria LOSEVA / Denis LUNIN RUS
6 Valeria ZENKOVA / Valerie SINITSIN RUS
7 Natalia JANCOSEK / Petr SEKNICKA SVK
8 Lauri BONACORSI / Travis MAGER USA
9 Madeline HERITAGE / Nathaniel FAST USA

Slowdive

On the Ice
Would love to see the ISU website update all the entries for the Junior Grand Prix.
Anxious to see if Ovcharova is fit enough for this session.
Love that Deeva is taking part in the Junior Grand Prix!

Scout

Final Flight
Whoa! Why are there only 9 entries for ice dance here, when there are 18 entries in Riga? I could see the 2 teams from Latvia as an additional 2 to the field, but that would only account for 2 of the 9 additional entries.

euroskate

Final Flight
Whoa! Why are there only 9 entries for ice dance here, when there are 18 entries in Riga? I could see the 2 teams from Latvia as an additional 2 to the field, but that would only account for 2 of the 9 additional entries.

well i guess not every federation is paying the trip to Australie and/or the athletes dont want to travel so far.

sequinsgalore

Record Breaker
Contenders...

Men
This event has some bigger names compared to last week's JGP Volvo Cup. I see gold and silver to Keiji Tanaka and Jason Brown. Bronze could go to Liam Firus, or perhaps Don-Wong Lee.

Ladies
Again, this will be the main event. The main contenders are Risa Shoji, Hae-Jin Kim, Courtney Hicks, Vanessa Lam, Alexandra Deeva and Polina Korobeynikova. Wow! Just making top 5 will be an achievement.

Ice dance
I guess the podium will consist of Nicole Orford/Thomas Williams, Valeria Zenkova/Valerie Sinitsin and Lauri Bonacorsi/Travis Mager.

What do you think?

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
Contenders...

Men
This event has some bigger names compared to last week's JGP Volvo Cup. I see gold and silver to Keiji Tanaka and Jason Brown. Bronze could go to Liam Firus, or perhaps Don-Wong Lee.

Ladies
Again, this will be the main event. The main contenders are Risa Shoji, Hae-Jin Kim, Courtney Hicks, Vanessa Lam, Alexandra Deeva and Polina Korobeynikova. Wow! Just making top 5 will be an achievement.

Ice dance
I guess the podium will consist of Nicole Orford/Thomas Williams, Valeria Zenkova/Valerie Sinitsin and Lauri Bonacorsi/Travis Mager.

What do you think?

1. In men, I think you have it, though Berneck is someone I'd watch out for.

2. I think it's between Hicks and Shoji for the ladies.

3. I really really hope that Bonacorsi and Mager have a breakthrough. They were fascinating at Lake Placid in the Olympic season, but they switched coaches (to Linichuk) and haven't really had any success. But I wouldn't be surprised if you nailed the podium here.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
I'd be very surprised if the ladies podium is not Shoji, Hicks, and Lam, the question is more in what order. Maybe Korobeinkova can sneak up there, though. I'm hoping Brown can win the men's title but his lack of 3a may hurt him...

mskater93

Record Breaker
Brown's been trying the 3A in local competitions and has managed to stand up on some under-rotated ones already. Knowing Ade, if it's not clean and mostly consistent, he won't try it here.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
Random bit of interesting factoid: Shoji and Hicks got the exact same PCS for their LP at World Junior's last season - 47.24

thumbyskates

Rinkside
Nam was actually the first skater to go out from BC in the last event.

They mentioned it on their Facebook feed yesterday however and wished them good luck.

FlattFan

Match Penalty
Wow, Vanessa got level 4 on her straight line step sequence. How many junior girls got level 4 on step sequence?
Her PCS seems a bit lower than Hicks and Risa probably due to skating too early.

colleen o'neill

Medalist
From the point of view of pure enjoyment Vanessa Lam gets my vote. Lovely program. And my inner Dick Button is cheering the beautiful attitude position in her layback.:biggrin: ( could they make this a required variation , or give it a big bonus , or something ? )
Hae-jin's program was also very nice ( Do I detect a Wilson look ?) I wish she had more stretch in her legs, though.

Courtney skated well, but I can't say I liked her program much,or her costume.I thought Risa Shoji's program was really good ,and I liked Korobeynikova's as well...too bad she fell. I found Deeva's costume so distracting , I can't even properly remember her program..I'll have to look again tomorrow.( If I can drag myself away from watching the men ) It's too late tonight.

Last edited:

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
So, Brown has a commanding lead, especially since Tanaka (who's in second) has a triple axel. The former scored level fours on three spins AND footwork, and got positive GOEs across the board. Ladies and Gentlemen, we have our first favourite for World juniors.

Firus suffered from doing a 3t-3t combo and slightly easier spins. And GOEs. Tanaka, who had a 3.4 BV advantage over Brown still lost on TES because of his weaker GOEs as well. Remarkable for the young American and justifying the hope people have in/for him.

Programs from the top three.

Brown, SP
Tanaka, SP
Firus, SP

I have to admit I'm not sure I'd give Brown THAT big a lead over Tanaka - Tanaka was clean (except an edge call on the lutz) but his TES is actually lower than his BV. Anyway, it looks like Brown for first, Tanaka in second, and Firus fighting off a group of men for the bronze.

ETA: Berneck: Got hit with two downgrades and that buried him. Awesome transition into the 2A and some great spin positions (if not speed).

Last edited:

colleen o'neill

Medalist
:biggrin: Wow ! watched the top 6 with my morning coffee..What a great start to the day. Loved the top 3 . All smooth and in command.( A really noticeable difference to me , in the command dept. for Liam )...It may seem a relatively small thing , but that catch-foot layback position of Jason's creates an indelible image in my brain.

I was also quite taken with Yoji Tsuboi and Philip Warren.

gmyers

Record Breaker
Unless Brown's career is going to be exclusively junior he needs a 3A. Rippon who 2 world junior titles without a 3A and now he struggles with it a lot. He's going to have to sacrifice clean performances for senior level perfrormances soon.

mskater93

Record Breaker
Brown's been trying them throughout the summer (Milwaukee, Glacier Falls, Northern Blast) but hasn't had one called as clean yet, which is why he's not trying it in Brisbane.

leela03

Spectator
Just watched JNR Mens. Amazing skates from the top three. Firus' program was beautiful, and as far as skating skills overall I think he leads the pack. Needs work on that camel spin though, it was quite slow. I also question the second mark, Tanaka having a lead over Firus? Jason Brown; cleanest skate of the night, not my fav style, but deserves first at this point for sure. Tanaka was excellent but skating was a little choppy.