Nebelhorn Trophy | Page 7 | Golden Skate

Nebelhorn Trophy

colleen o'neill

Medalist
:biggrin::biggrin: cara..

I might actually not be quite as predictable as your post seems to imply..well, maybe just a teeny bit .

In the endless search for perfection, I think both sets of costumes ( R/H and Z/G) are a tad underdone , but it's so good to see the change from too much detail or too theatrical.. I don't want to say a discouraging word.;)

There's overdone and underdone ,with varying degrees of perfection somewhere in the middle. But if it can only be one of the 2 extremes ,I'll take underdone every time.

Last edited:

CARA

Final Flight
Country
United-States
:biggrin::biggrin: cara..

...There's overdone and underdone ,with varying degrees of perfection somewhere in the middle. But if it can only be one of the 2 extremes ,I'll take underdone every time.

:biggrin: I think I know what you mean.
If I am to be really picky, I would like to see Nelli ZHIGANSHINA's dress' neck line to be bit more open.

I just want you to know that I enjoy reading your expertise and opinion on figure skating costumes. you are so teasable, and in my book, that's a good thing! ;)

colleen o'neill

Medalist
:laugh:..I come from a family of merciless teasers..always up for a good chuckle, not excluding at their own expense. One has to learn to survive.

I was biting my tongue about Nelli's neckline.I agree completely. So..while we're at it..Im also not keen on that tail panel ,and might have just liked it to be part of the skirt , a bit fuller and longer at the back instead..but that's splitting hairs .

I'm also not keen on Kharis' jagged hemline, but again it's a little quibble...OTOH I really like the straps at the back.

I noticed while checking details , that H/G's FD is now up ( blessings on tatjana) :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z39jxWW0QBw&feature=related

I wish her bodice fit her better. Don't like the black straps ,don't like that it gapes at the sides..and the overall effect is still more Miami Vice than Stones , to me .I hope some skating experts will chime in as to technical content (footwork) ,if it was tidied up. To me , it looked a bit messy. I could see the twizzles were a problem. I like their lifts, and I guess, in the one that had me worried, she isn't actually sitting on his shoulder..(that's a good thing);) They've added in the reverse lift since BCSS. Overall, I think it's better than the BC skate..and I think it can get better still. I think they have a lot of charm , so I want to have hope.

Last edited:

ordinary person

On the Ice
I agree, I think both of Mirai's dresses are styled similarly and it's not that flattering a style on her. It looks like they are trying to "hide" something with the ruching and the powder blue is bleh! I am not usually one to take on costumes, but these could use some help.

If you mean the sp dress being ruching, what could she possibly hide :laugh: although i agree about the blue powder one.

CARA

Final Flight
Country
United-States
...I was biting my tongue about Nelli's neckline.I agree completely. So..while we're at it..Im also not keen on that tail panel ,and might have just liked it to be part of the skirt , a bit fuller and longer at the back instead..but that's splitting hairs .

I'm also not keen on Kharis' jagged hemline, but again it's a little quibble...OTOH I really like the straps at the back...
:thumbsup: :laugh:

mskater93

Record Breaker
If you mean the sp dress being ruching, what could she possibly hide :laugh: although i agree about the blue powder one.

I have NO IDEA what they are trying to hide. :) Both dresses have similar ruching and the skirts are similar and I don't think the skirt is all that flattering...

colleen o'neill

Medalist
doris..Your Harlem Nocturne comment...those were the second words out of my mouth when I saw them at Thornhill. The first words being... Omigod what have they put on her ? ( costume).:biggrin:

Thankfully, there's at least a third more costume now , though I'd trade the stuff on her arms and those strange bars across her back ( are they hiding a bra strap? therer'e lots more attractive ways of doing it )..anyway, I'd trade them both for a bit more skirt.

This Harlem Nocturne does have a Rhumba beat..but the piece is so well known , the ear just doesn't want to hear it , IMO..(besides , isn't it sacriligeous to mess with HN that way ?..ought to be )

I think this was way better than at Thornhill. But it's not going to be one of my faves.

This is filmed from the back , but I'm hoping they no longer have her biting her lower lip during that big slow hip roll. It was tackily risque.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
OTOH, their FD, and their costumes and skating in it, are much improved over previous years, and I found myself liking it. Perhaps, they will fix this SD? Their speed was good, but the pattern needs some work, and the Latin feeling is totally missing. Here I thought they were Out of Africa, and here they are back in it again with Harlem Nocturne, too. :cry:

I would say that tacky is exactly indicated for Latin...(think Gorshkova & Butikov's costumes last year) but it's not my fave look. It wasn't Kharis's costume, but Asher's that bothered me. Having Asher dressed all in black in both programs is rather eerie, and even more so in the videos, because he has a distressing tendency to disappear and reappear as they skate past the dark spaces between seats alternating with the seats themselves. It would be a perfect look for Danse Macabre, or an FD to Interview with the Vampire soundtrack, but not so much for Latin.

Last edited:

colleen o'neill

Medalist
:rofl::laugh: Climbing back onto my chair..oh , the vanishing partner..These dark videos are tough..but better than nothing..

I'm so pleased with their FD. No real tango feeling , there either, but,OTOH, no overdone fake tango expression, everything seemed nicely timed to the music ,Kharis' shoulders under better control. Pretty good costumes.

I think Asher's shirt may actually be dark blue in the SD ( it was at Thornhill) but it no way says Latin. I'm not much liking the dances that do their Rhumbas to the faster music cuts.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Dark blue the shirt is in the SD. Things show up better on my old monitor at night. It still doesn't show up well in a dark video, against a dark backdrop. It's wonderful to have these videos at all, particularly of the SD's.

I have yet to see any SD this season that I am really fond of.

Last edited:

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I'm hoping they will, too. With V&M, it depends on how they work the Rhumba pattern dance in-we know what the rest of the dance looks like. The hiphip chinchin part will be great. I'm presuming they're planning to do the Rhumba to Temptation? (I hope I'm not right-I don't think that cut is really quite right for the rhumba pattern dance.) In fact, I wish they would use another cut entirely for the middle of the dance, rather than Temptation.

colleen o'neill

Medalist
I think I heard they kept Temptation , I think they can make more of it than some of the other choices we know of.
I'm starting to get excited.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Well, it certainly isn't like any of the senior dances we've seen so far have set the world on fire. But we haven't seen that many of the top rated seniors.

I've seen Hubbell & Donahue
Zhiganshina & Gaszi
Riazanova & Tkachenko
Bobrova & Soloviev
Ralph & Hill
Gorshkova & Butikov
Reed & Reed
and some lesser known teams.

Of those, I liked...none of them to the level of joy.

I liked several of the Junior teams, but I've seen more of them, and of course we've seen most of the top teams at this point.
And the ChaCha Congelada has some pleasant points and I hadn't seen much of this dance before.