Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread: Nebelhorn Trophy

Quote Originally Posted by herios View Post
    Ummm, I am not as impressed as you are. And is not because of what Mirai did, but rather Lori Nichol leaves me underwhelmed these days. From Lori, knowing what she is capable of, I am expecting great work. She doesn't capture the tempo changes in the music in the last part of the program, starting from the flying camel spin. The arrangement of the jumps was fine, but the footwork doesn't stand out as much as it should. I like the music and it could have been a great program choreographically, but it isn't.
    I agree about the tempo changes in the music in the last part of the program, I did notice some awkwardness, but I am sure this program will be tweaked and by the time Nationals and Worlds comes around we may see a lot of improvement. IMO Lori has not done any great work for the ladies since the Kween.

Custom Title
    Congratulations to all medalist--especially Hubbell and Donohue for winning your first Gold medal and Mirai Nagasu

Constable , Costume Police colleen o'neill's Avatar
    Back to Ice Dance :

Gee.. I feel prompted to unload a bit here. I hope you'll bear with me , I've done some nosing around..

Tarrah and Keith have been skating together since '98. They're aged 22 and 24. They are a bit mismatched, IMO ( only a 2 inch height difference). They've been with Wing and Lowe since spring( I think ) of 2007 ( post-nationals ?). At '06 and '07 Nationals they were 13th. So ,in the time they've been with W&L , they've moved up 7 or 8 placements nationally (figuring around V/M's absence last year )..pretty good, considering the top 3 spots were virtually a lock for the last few yrs., and considering the sudden emergence of P/I.

Considering the time they've been together, the scarcity of readily available partners , and the fact that they have improved , I can understand their reluctance to look for a better size match. Now..having said all that...I realize their height situation maybe doesn't encourage a softer style ( romantic) program , since they can't easily achieve a classic look, but I think they should move a bit in that direction , on occasion. I think they may strive too much to be different.

I've had a real problem with their costumes, the last two years.. which I couldn't understand, since there wasn't a problem with W&L's younger teams, and W/L themselves , were always pretty nicely turned out during their career. It can't be a good thing when a couple takes the ice and the first thought that comes into your head is "What has she got on ?" This situation was a mystery to me until I saw the ads for Tarrah's Mum's costume business at BCSS. Great for all the skating mum's who can't sew, or don't have time..but not at the senior level. It's time to stop keeping it in the family, Tarrah. I might be wrong , but when the coaches' Jr. couples all look better packaged , what other conclusion can you draw ?

I don't think the speed is a negative , since ,looking at W&L's Jr. couples, they seem to generally be getting good technical scores. And it does make me smile , because W/L were often accused of being slow in their own competitive years..That's not going to happen to their teams.

I don't like the SD music choices for many of their teams this year , but so far, that may not be a drawback with the judges..too soon to say. I do have to wonder if H/G's off beat programs hurt them last yr. and now this yr.again. They were marked pretty close to R/H last yr. at Canadians..which is the one place their programs were most sure to be seen with friendly eyes .Technically they were pretty close, I think. I haven't seen a huge improvement in R/H ( but of course , I haven't seen this competition ), and H/G don't have the same particular problems , though as noted , they have some of their own.

H/G do seem to garner better marks as the season goes on... so could they do something to be more ready sooner ? I did notice some rough bits at BCSS.. but was that really early to expect a lot ?

Rejoicing in the land of Kwan kwanatic's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by demarinis5 View Post
    IMO Lori has not done any great work for the ladies since the Kween.

I somewhat agree...her number of masterpiece programs since Michelle can be counted on one hand, that's for sure...

Lori's programs for Mao have been beautiful: Nocturne, Fantasie Impromptu, Claire de Lune, Liebestraum & Jupiter. Lori is just really good at maximizing the beauty and grace of Mao's style...

Her programs for Carolina Kostner last year were very beautiful as well...

I don't know what it is, but the Lori/Mirai combination yields some less than great results. There aren't any standout programs for Mirai that Lori has created. Mirai has had instances of presenting her programs well (her SPs at the last two nationals) but the programs are nowhere near in line with what Lori has created for other skaters. I really hope Mirai branches out in the future and works with a different choreographer...

Custom Title
    Did anyone notice that Dennis Ten came in ninth? That doesn't bode well. I see that his point score did exceed the minimum for GP according to what was posted here, though.

About the height difference for ice dancing: I'm not familiar with Harvey/Gagnon, but if they're really good and are otherwise compatible, they could make their closeness in height work, with a little ingenuity. One of my favorite recent couples was Denkova/Staviskiy, who seemed to be almost the same height. I know that at least once when they skated in Grand Prix events, I think Tracy Wilson (or maybe Susie Wynne--both did commentary for ESPN at that time, I think) pointed out this similarity in height, but D/S were so splendid that they made it into a distinctive trait. They actually seemed to play up their physical similarity--they were both blonde, and she was athletic rather than spindly and pixie-like. She kept her hair shortish for a skater and wore it loose, and his was long for a guy, so that they looked like two sides of the same coin, or yin and yang. A fabulous couple.

Are you all telling me that Mirai Nagasu won? Where's the list of results? I'm afraid to start cheering until I see it in writing.

ETA: I found the article. Yippee for Mirai! It says her spins both got Level 4. This is wonderful. And hooray for Gedevanishvili, a wonderfully dynamic skater, in second, and one of the Swedish sisters--Joshi, I think--with the bronze.

Maybe Mirai....but I don't want to jinx it. I'll just cross all the fingers on one hand for her and all the fingers on the other hand for Alissa. Eeek! The roller coaster ride begins. I hope it's all up and no down.
    Last edited by Olympia; 09-25-2011 at 12:03 AM.

Custom Title
    Too bad that Balde and DeSanctis can't be at Skate Canada. How embarrassing for Skate Canada that they will have to select skaters off the substitute list to replace them, since there are no other Canadian men and ladies who have met the qualifying criteria and are in competitive shape this season.

Banned
    Coverage of various skaters from the Ladies Long Program, including Mirai Nagasu

Long Program - Various Skaters

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    There are some of the men's programs on this person's channel

http://www.youtube.com/user/pianomaya65

The only dance program is Agafanova & Ucar of Turkey

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckm View Post
    Too bad that Balde and DeSanctis can't be at Skate Canada. How embarrassing for Skate Canada that they will have to select skaters off the substitute list to replace them, since there are no other Canadian men and ladies who have met the qualifying criteria and are in competitive shape this season.
    Definitely a combination of poor planning and bad luck.

Tripping on the Podium
    Just a quick note...DeSanctis will be competing at Skate Canada. I don't know about Balde though..I would suspect he also will be there.

Moving up the testing structure Kypma's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mariposa View Post
    Just a quick note...DeSanctis will be competing at Skate Canada. I don't know about Balde though..I would suspect he also will be there.
    Despite not having reached the minimum score for participation in the GP series?

Tripping on the Podium
    Yes.

Tripping on the Podium
    Hmmmm Guess we aren't going to be seeing any videos of H/D, Z/G, R/H, Reeds or T/S?

Custom Title
    I don't really like how Yuzuru's fs music changes from the first part to the part that he used in his exhibition programs in the summer. It seems kinda sudden. It's probably b/c I've been listening to the part he used for his summer programs so often :D

Personally i'm surprised there's only four sp videos of the ladies and no lp videos at all, especially when one of my favorite skaters has won.

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast