Kimmie Meissner's triple-triples video | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Kimmie Meissner's triple-triples video

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
I'm 99.9% sure there's more to it than that. Again, the injury might have never even happened in the first place if she was skating well in practice. Even when you do sustain injury, your motivation and state of mind influences how well your body can heal. If you're depressed, your body doesn't function as well. Meissner's spirit was broken and that screws up everything when you're trying to do difficult skating moves.

R.D.

Record Breaker
From what I understand, it had nothing to do with how good (or bad) she was doing in practice. The way she described it, it seemed more like a fluke accident than anything. Someone got in the way and she had to bail out of the jump to avert a spectacular collision.

I assume her competitive mentality would not let that scoring mishap bring her down. In fact if it did, I'd argue that her will is not strong enough for a skater. Did Rachel Flatt give up after being hosed at the Olympics? Or Nagasu after losing a National title that several argue should have been rightly hers? I'm willing to give these skaters more credit than that. It's the nature of a judged sport- sometimes you get the calls, or the benefit of the doubt, other times you don't.

If there was one thing I would attribute to Meissner's demise, it's that she filled out after 2006 and she never adjusted her technique to match her new body. SO the jumps went bye-bye. And, like most other jumping beans out there that have nothing else to offer, as soon as that happened, she was toast. The injury was just an exclamation point on the message being given to her to move on.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
Those examples really aren't the same thing. Nagasu was happy to be 2nd at 2010 Nationals and make the Olympic team. Flatt still received decent scores at Olympics, even if she probably should have been a couple places higher, and that disappointment didn't come after an entire year of struggling. Neither of them have ever been placed in the bottom 20% at a competition after skating a clean program. The situation with Meissner was much more traumatic and she must have been thinking "no matter what I do, even if I skate well, it seems like I am failing horribly." That's a very, very difficult thing to deal with.