** 1998 Olympc Figure Skating Competition ** | Golden Skate

** 1998 Olympc Figure Skating Competition **

silverpond

On the Ice
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Figure_skating_at_the_1998_Winter_Olympics

We've already had some interesting dialogue concerning the 1998 Olympic competition between Kulik/Stojko....so perhaps you'd like to see the 'wiki' write-up, which has the full results, judges' cards, etc. :)

I was rooting for Michelle Kwan to win the gold medal at Nagano. Based upon her brilliant skating at the US Nationals, in which she was awarded a slew of 6.0's, she was the favorite, with Tara Lipinski a slightly less favorite for the gold medal. At the opening ceremony, Kwan was a no-show, as she remained home in California to train until the competition drew closer. Lapinski, however, totally embraced the Olympic experience, marched into the stadium with the US team at the opening ceremony (and was "interviewed" while marching, thanks to a headset). She had a blast meeting athletes from the various countries and attending some of the events. Kwan stayed away from the Olympic Village and lodged with her family in private quarters. No problem with that, of course - whatever works best is what you need to do.

NBC broadcast a huge amount of coverage on the ladies’ competition, since this was to be a showdown between the two best skaters in the world, who just happened to both be Americans. Scott Hamilton, commenting at one of the long program practices, said it would be a complete shock if neither Kwan nor Lapinski won the gold medal, as they were both several levels above the rest of the competition.

Michelle won the short and finished second in the long, which gave her the silver medal. Lapinski did the opposite – second in the short, first in the long, which gave her the gold medal. In my opinion, had Michele skated the long program she skated at Nationals, even though she did not have the 3/3 loop that Tara landed, she would have won the gold medal. It seemed that Michelle was tentative and skated more not to lose than to win. Tara, on the other hand, charged through her long program with speed and verve – and she skated to win, period. The television cameras panned in Michelle's father, who paced throuigh the stands and shook his head when the technical scores for Lapinski were displayed. Clearly, they were higher than the scores his daughter had received.

As I wrote in a previous post, the sentimental highlight for me was Lu Chen’s bronze medal performance. This exquisite young woman overcame a horrendous previous season, skated two inspired programs, and finished third. THREE CHEERS! :thumbsup: Lu had lost her triple lutz jump prior to the competition, which she absolutely had to have in order to have any chance of medaling. She landed a triple lutz/double doe in her short program, and did the same in the long program.

Tara also deserves a great amount credit for having competed with a serious hip injury, one which had to have caused her pain. She certainly never showed any signs of discomfort and wore a beautiful smile throughout the competitions.

prettykeys

Medalist
This is certainly not a new discussion topic but of lasting interesting, it appears. ;)

I was rooting for Michelle Kwan to win the gold medal at Nagano. Based upon her brilliant skating at the US Nationals, in which she was awarded a slew of 6.0's, she was the favorite, with Tara Lipinski a slightly less favorite for the gold medal. At the opening ceremony, Kwan was a no-show, as she remained home in California to train until the competition drew closer. Lapinski, however, totally embraced the Olympic experience, marched into the stadium with the US team at the opening ceremony (and was "interviewed" while marching, thanks to a headset). She had a blast meeting athletes from the various countries and attending some of the events. Kwan stayed away from the Olympic Village and lodged with her family in private quarters. No problem with that, of course - whatever works best is what you need to do.
I respect both their approaches. Kwan obviously had a lot of pressure on her (expectations from the Americans, pressure from herself), and her decisions reflect someone who was taking great responsibility. Lipinski sounds like she was thrilled to be there and was soaking up the entire thing, including the competition. Wonderful :)

Michelle won the short and finished second in the long, which gave her the silver medal. Lapinski did the opposite – second in the short, first in the long, which gave her the gold medal. In my opinion, had Michele skated the long program she skated at Nationals, even though she did not have the 3/3 loop that Tara landed, she would have won the gold medal. It seemed that Michelle was tentative and skated more not to lose than to win. Tara, on the other hand, charged through her long program with speed and verve – and she skated to win, period.
This is one of the most common things I read in figure skating circles, and I just have to disagree. Kwan at Nationals vs Lipinski at Nagano...I would still give it to Lipinski. To me, Lipinski's Technical advantage over Kwan is greater than the difference in their Presentation.

What a podium this was! It couldn't have been any better. I was rooting for Kwan with all my heart, but things didn't turn out that way. For a long time, I couldn't even watch "Lyra Angelica," but finally, after I joined GS, I took a peek at it again and loved it instantly. As for Tara, I can't begrudge her the gold, because she sure laid it out there. But with or without Olympic supremacy, it's Michelle's career that gives me the profound connection with movement and music. I never look back at any of Tara's skates to sustain me on a tough day, and I often count on "Song of the Black Swan," "Lament d"Ariane," or "Lyra" to do just that. Various of you may make another choice. Variety is the spice of life!

As a dancer friend of mine said after Nagano, sometimes the magic happens for one performer on a particular night. But for me Michelle's magic happened across a career. Like Kurt Browning, Michelle somehow transcended Olympic distinction. Besides, a silver and a bronze aren't too bad a haul, in any case!--especially when added to nine national golds and five world golds.

I don't expect to see anyone else with Michelle's poetry come along any time soon to rescue American skating. But it would be nice to see someone with Tara's moxie and coolheadedness.

christinaskater

Medalist
As a Michelle fan I really wanted Michelle to win it and I also think she deserved to win.
The SP 5.8, 5.9
LP: 5.8, 5.9

For Tara
SP: 5.8, 5.8
LP: 5.9, 5.9 ( at that moment!) she really brought magic there.

I was very happy for all of them but I would have wanted Michelle to have won.

^ True, Tara deserved the higher scores, but (scores, schmores) Michelle deserved to win. ;)

I concur with Christinaskater! :yes:

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
FWIW, Michelle had a stress fracture in her foot, leading up to Olys, and Nats was her first event after being off the ice for a while. She didn't march in the Opening ceremony because she was getting last minute therapy on her foot.

Also, looking back at it, I think the podium is oddly satisfying. Chen Lu wanted a wonderful comeback after a dismal season the year before ... she got it. Tara wanted the OGM and got it. Michelle wanted to be a legend (she thought the OGM was a pre-requisite) ... and she got her dream, too. It's nice (IMO) when all the medalists have their dream come true.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I don't think Michelle thought at the time that her dreams had came true. More like a nightmare.

Michelle said afterward that she felt like the world had come to an end.

But...after crying herself to sleep in her sister's arms, she woke up the next day after all. The sun rose just as if nothing had happened. And she found herself to be the same person that day as she had been the day before, surrounded by her family and friends.

christinaskater

Medalist
The competition between MK and Tara became a choice between beauty (MK) over pure joy/exhuberance (TL).
I guess the event itself and the grandiosity of everything that represented the Olympics was more embodied and captured by the effervescent pure joy of Tara.

Last edited:

christinaskater

Medalist
I think winning 2 Olympic medals and 5 World titles (9 World medals) is greater than a single Olympic gold.

What Michelle has done is she has given us a LEGACY of greatness and she is one of, if not, the greatest Figure skater of all time in my opinion.

christinaskater

Medalist
Surely, The Olympic gold medal would always be something she and all of her fans would have wanted, but in the end, she has given us more than what we could have hoped and asked for. I love Michelle so much-she is for me the definition of a Figure skater. I really miss the old system as well- I do love COP but the 6.0 system was much easier to understand. I also love COP- since it really raised the bar for all Figure skaters to really become more well-rounded. The focus of the sport became --> how could I score the highest points and lot of us would concur that the moments of perfection/perfect performances we have grown accustomed to has somewhat vanished through the years.

The 1998 Olympics was truly a very special moment for all Figure skating fans- what a night! I really loved how Chen Lu was able to comeback from a really disappointing year and get that Olympic bronze medal.

Last edited:

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
The competition between MK and Tara became a choice between beauty (MK) over pure joy/exhuberance (TL).
I guess the event itself and the grandiosity of everything that represented the Olympics was more embodied and captured by the effervescent pure joy of Tara.

To me, that podium is one of the rare podiums that simply sums up the Olympic Games. To whit:

a) All three were World Champions (the last three world champions, at that). All three had hit the pinacle of the sport prior to this moment.

b) Chen Lu's comeback. Down but never out, she clawed her way back, first having to compete to earn her nation a spot in the games, then having to truly go for it when the stories were elsewhere. Her final moments on the ice, her emotion and her grace, stick with me more than most programs other skaters put out ever will.

c) Kwan vs Lipinski: Talk about coming down to the night. Kwan led and it was hers to lose in the LP. But I don't think she lost it there - I think Lipinski won it (slight difference). Kwan's career is undeniably legendary regardless, whereas Lipinski's effect on the sport was much smaller. But in the end, I think the words of Edna St. Vincent Millay do justice to Lipinski's stay: ""My candle burns at both ends; It will not last the night; But, ah, my foes, and, oh, my friends - it gives a lovely light."

I think the 2010 Vancouver ladies matched this podium, but it was definitely a night to remember

evangeline

Record Breaker
But in the end, I think the words of Edna St. Vincent Millay do justice to Lipinski's stay: ""My candle burns at both ends; It will not last the night; But, ah, my foes, and, oh, my friends - it gives a lovely light."

Sir, I wish to give you +1,000 Internets for using Edna St. Vincent Millay in a subject pertaining to figure skating.

Pogue, I agree with Evangeline, and I think Millay would love the application of her poem.

I was greatly distressed the night of the Olympics--in fact I spent most of the previous day in distress, because we got the news way before the competition aired. But as time passed, I realized that Michelle's silver was a blessing in disguise. Mightn't she have retired if she had won the Olympics in 1998? This way, we had many more years of her phenomenal melding of technique and artistry. And if Tara hadn't won, she would have had to retire soon afterward anyway, because of the damage she did her body. This way, everyone achieved something memorable in skating, including both Michelle and Tara, and Chen Lu.

Besides, to fans like me and Mathman, and probably Kwanford Wife, Michelle did win in 1998. The judges just didn't notice.

blue dog

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan!
Record Breaker
As we did with 1994, I'm posting the Final two flights in order of skate (of the ones I can find):

Elena Sokolova: http://youtu.be/d-v5mF-mSFE

Warmup/Fluff Final Group: http://youtu.be/AhsGOaX0_hs

Michelle Kwan: http://youtu.be/x14RFdZXiVk
Irina Slutskaya: http://youtu.be/rG1VhaDnUhQ
Chen Lu: http://youtu.be/zN_Y-gza-N8 (interesting to note, Kwan, Slutskaya, and Chen have not landed a clean triple flip in the LP at the Olympics in any attempt; all had saves, falls, or hands down)
Surya Bonaly: http://youtu.be/5sIo6s9lUyc
Tara Lipinski: http://youtu.be/8pKT4e9sjYI
Maria Butyrskaya: http://youtu.be/pJQFSvnIgE0

Medal Ceremony: http://youtu.be/pl-Ao1QSVNs

silverpond

On the Ice
I was greatly distressed the night of the Olympics--in fact I spent most of the previous day in distress, because we got the news way before the competition aired. But as time passed, I realized that Michelle's silver was a blessing in disguise. Mightn't she have retired if she had won the Olympics in 1998? This way, we had many more years of her phenomenal melding of technique and artistry. And if Tara hadn't won, she would have had to retire soon afterward anyway, because of the damage she did her body. This way, everyone achieved something memorable in skating, including both Michelle and Tara, and Chen Lu.

Besides, to fans like me and Mathman, and probably Kwanford Wife, Michelle did win in 1998. The judges just didn't notice.

Olympia, I was also distressed the day of the ladies' long program, because the results were aired long before we got to watch them on television. 1998 seems like light-years ago -- we did not even have Internet access at work (can you believe it?!) so we had to rely on radio coverage of the Olympic events. And, Japan is 14 hours ahead of the US East Coast, where I live, so this was hardly "news" by the time it was aired on television. I remember how NBC did their best to build suspense, as if nobody knew the results, which of course most of us did by the time we turned on the TV.

Your comments are spot-on about the podium, IMHO. Had Tara not won the gold medal, she could not have possibly continued at that level of competition, unless she had surgery, rehab, and then fought her way back into competition. How she managed to skate so well and win was absolutely a "high five" to her, given her serious hip injury.

Had Michelle won the gold medal, perhaps she might have retired -- and then we all would have missed all the fantastic years she remained in the eligible ranks - all the US and World titles. Her silver medal at Nagano kept her in the game, and although I'm sorry she did not win the gold medal, I'm so glad she continued to compete!

And Lu Chen got the bronze medal - what a victory for her. You go, girl!

prettykeys

Medalist
To me, that podium is one of the rare podiums that simply sums up the Olympic Games. To whit:

a) All three were World Champions (the last three world champions, at that). All three had hit the pinacle of the sport prior to this moment.

b) Chen Lu's comeback. Down but never out, she clawed her way back, first having to compete to earn her nation a spot in the games, then having to truly go for it when the stories were elsewhere. Her final moments on the ice, her emotion and her grace, stick with me more than most programs other skaters put out ever will.

c) Kwan vs Lipinski: Talk about coming down to the night. Kwan led and it was hers to lose in the LP. But I don't think she lost it there - I think Lipinski won it (slight difference). Kwan's career is undeniably legendary regardless, whereas Lipinski's effect on the sport was much smaller. But in the end, I think the words of Edna St. Vincent Millay do justice to Lipinski's stay: ""My candle burns at both ends; It will not last the night; But, ah, my foes, and, oh, my friends - it gives a lovely light."
:love: You are so awesome, Pogue!

I think the 2010 Vancouver ladies matched this podium, but it was definitely a night to remember
I thought 2010 ladies were outstanding because of the outstanding final flight and :bow: YuNa Kim, but Mao had a dreary, flawed LP (despite the amazing triple Axels) and Joannie Rochette was burdened with tragedy. 1998 had the finest Olympic ladies' podium.

(interesting to note, Kwan, Slutskaya, and Chen have not landed a clean triple flip in the LP at the Olympics in any attempt; all had saves, falls, or hands down)
I am starting to wonder whether...while the 3Lz is allegedly more difficult to master or to "get", the 3Flip, even when mastered, is still the "trickier" jump.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
Chen did a clean 3Flip in her 1992 Olympic LP. Slutskaya did one in her 2006 Olympic LP that was mostly clean.

fairly4

Medalist
as far as michelle retiring in 1998 --no,
michelle came out before the olympics and stated she would skate until 2002. (salt lake city) cause she wanted to see what it was like to skate on home ice no matter which medal.