Denney and Coughlin plan impressive debut season | Golden Skate

Denney and Coughlin plan impressive debut season

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
At the end of last season, it seemed as if the world of figure skating in the United States was falling apart—at least in terms of tested international level partnerships. Half of the senior pairs podium were kaput, and the bronze and pewter medalists in ice dance had also called it quits. But then, much like a square dance, new partnerships began to form causing quite a stir among the skating Internet community.

More

I'm excited about this team. It sounds like they have a great bond with Sappenfield and the transformation of their appearances is on the money. They already looked very good at Liberty. Nice article.

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Thanks for the article. They certainly have clicked and they have on ice chemistry.
I think they will do very well for the US.

meem

On the Ice
Well, now I know why John no longer looks like a hockey player out there on the ice - they've got him pointing his toes ;>) These two skaters are amazing to gel so quickly as a pairs team. Good article. I tried not to read between the lines. I've only seen their SP - does anyone have a link to their LP?

DianaSelene

Medalist
Their goal is to medal at worlds this year or be in the top four? I think they are a good pair but this goal is not very realistic right now. At least not this year.

They do have a ways to go. Thanks for posting the FP, sequinsgalore. I'm surprised that their lift positions are not better; it's not like she would be too heavy for him. The last one was innovative (?) but not pretty. This program is pretty generic at this point but I trust they'll improve it.

It would be great if they got a genius costume designer who could reduce the size gap between them. It detracts from their look but aside from that they've got a lot going for them. Mainly her. She retains her panache and athleticism but now looks like a ballerina. Yay!

meem

On the Ice
Thanks for the link, sequinsgalore. I decided to check out the LPs of Davis & Leftheris and Vise & Baldwin as well, and altho' these two teams have a long ways to go, both of the men looked more supple (for lack of a better word) on the ice than John C (who I thought seemed to revert to his stiffness during the LP). Lindsay Davis seemed to have a peculiar problem in the death spiral (or was she losing her balance?). Watching these pairs teams skate in a typical rink (no glamor, no national media, etc), reminded me of all the sacrifices that skaters make year after year and the financial investment (plane trips to these events, meals & hotel expenses, etc), they & their families make.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
Their goal is to medal at worlds this year or be in the top four? I think they are a good pair but this goal is not very realistic right now. At least not this year.

Well, nothing wrong with aiming high. I'd be impressed if they matched the top six performance from Y/C last season and think a top ten finish would be solidly respectful. Lots of interesting teams with potential coming up.

DianaSelene

Medalist
Well, nothing wrong with aiming high. I'd be impressed if they matched the top six performance from Y/C last season and think a top ten finish would be solidly respectful. Lots of interesting teams with potential coming up.

I think that they have great potential and am pretty sure that they will be top ten. Not sure of top six, but possible. It's just that podium seemed a little too high. In a a few years, maybe.

Nigel

On the Ice
As much as I am interested in seeing how much D/C develop this season/yrs to come....what is USFSA doing to help Caitlin find a new partner. There was an elegance/softness in Y/C that I haven't seen yet in D/C (that may develop over time). :unsure:

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
As much as I am interested in seeing how much D/C develop this season/yrs to come....what is USFSA doing to help Caitlin find a new partner. There was an elegance/softness in Y/C that I haven't seen yet in D/C (that may develop over time). :unsure:

Does the USFSA help with finding partners? I always thought skaters were on their own in that department. It does not look
like Caitlin will be skating anytime soon. She did tweet that she was excited about moving into her new apartment. That sounds
encouraging.

mskater93

Record Breaker
She's on her own in that respect. USFS is not responsible for teaming people up or breaking them up. She's possibly teaming up with an Italian ex-roller pair skater