New ice dance team: Emily Samuelson / Todd Gilles | Golden Skate

New ice dance team: Emily Samuelson / Todd Gilles

herios

Medalist
I just posted on the announcements thread the news article from Icenetwork, mentioning the new team: Emily Samuelson teamed up with Todd Gilles.
How they will fit in into the picture?:think:

emma

Record Breaker
Yippy!!! Hurray!!!! I'm so, so, so over the moon happy to hear this. A number of the break-ups this year had me so :confused: and :bang: and :cry: I'm so glad to hear that Emily has a new partner and new purpose and future in skating. Wishing this team all the best! (and I'm not so secretly hoping that if they train in Michigan it is with Carmalengo and co....)

So best of luck to this new team!!!! The article said they have to do sectionals - I read it quickly, do we know where and when that is? Is this "hard" - that is, do people more informed think they will make nationals this year? I'm hoping to see them skate!

So congrats to Emily and Todd! All the best!

(just hoping that another as yet un-partnered female skater - this one in pairs - gets a great partner soon too!).

KKonas

Medalist
Excellent news! Didn't know Gilles was thinking of returning to competition. He is tall enough and strong enough and a solid skater - a very good choice for Emily. Wish them the best.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
I suspected this, and very happy to have it confirmed. Hope the best for them!

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Very happy for this news. Hope they have a very satisfying and productive partnership!

CARA

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Just for your information via IceNetwork:

Samuelson and Gilles have decided to train in Ann Arbor, MI. Yasa Nechaeva and Yuri Chesnichenko, Emily's long-time coaches till early 2010, will be Samuelson/Gilles' coaches.

Currently Samuleson/Gilles are in Colorado Springs to get choreography from Tom Dickson and Christopher Dean, the creators of many programs for Gilles and his former partners, Trina Pratt and Jane Summersett.

You can find more detailed information at IceNetwork site. From what I've read, Emily and Todd seem to be very thoughtful in their approach to building their new partnership. For that I am very happy for them.

I wish both Emily and Todd the best luck! :)

Now, if Vanessa and Catlin could find qualified partners, I'll be a real happy camper!

Last edited:

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
I was happier to see Bates admit that training in the same rink with the same coaches as Samuelson would not be an ideal situation. Finally! A skater who is willing to diss. It doesn't take much reading between the lines to understand what she means and her candor is refreshing.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
So glad to see that I'm not the only one who switches the last names! But definitely, I appreciate the way she was upfront.