Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Entries JGP Brasov

Custom Title
    Not sure why the USA isn't using its full allotment. Maybe: running out of eligible skaters/teams? conserving money? skaters turning down assignments? Would be interested to hear the scoop from those in the know. There may be a sensible reason(s) it makes sense to go lean and mean at this time, and we're just not seeing it.

Custom Title
    Big congrats to Bent/McKeen on their international debut! Of all the Junior Canadian teams so far, they have impressed me the most in the amount of improvement and growth in their skating. Their SD scores are very close to Orford/Williams and Hasagawa's. They have good lines, good edges, and an engaging, age-appropriate FD. Their cha-cha at Thornhill was quite good. There are some hints of the posture issues the same as others they train with, but not nearly as noticable for some reason. Even their costumes are well done. Best of luck to them in the FD!

Custom Title
    I couldn't agree more, NorthernDancers!! I was very impressed by Bent & McKeen's programs at Thornhill this year, as I have been every year. The first time that I saw them skate live, they won juvenile dance at Thornhill (this was back in 07). They were great then, and have continued to improve every year. What a fantastic JGP debut for them. Their FD is charming and quite enjoyable to watch, so I hope that they nail it tomorrow.

Custom Title
    Almost knock-off of Mirai's LP last year, including the troubled music cuts?

(From JGP Brasov right now)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z3jZN...layer_embedded

Two big bombs from two of the most inconsistent Japanese ladies (Nishino and Fujisawa)

Constable , Costume Police colleen o'neill's Avatar
    Very nice skate for Bent and Mackeen. Another promising young pair.

She seems to have had a fair amount of outside dance training..not terribly thrilled with her costume, but it's OK.
    Hope they do well tomorrow.

take off the oven mitts
    Quote Originally Posted by burntBREAD View Post

Two big bombs from two of the most inconsistent Japanese ladies (Nishino and Fujisawa)
    i don't know. i thought nishino and fujisawa were wayyyyyy better than ashley cain. watching cain laboring to pump her hips, hunching over to rush across the rink only to fall and eek out landings... *sigh* that looked desperate, more painful to watch than some of the other skaters' splat-filled performances.

now, i would have been much happier to see leah keiser instead of cain, so of course i'm biased but if there's anybody who looks like she doesn't belong with the others, it's cain, not the two japanese ladies.

speaking of knock-offs of mirai's... anyone else thought the pink and black number on (somebody whose skating i've already forgotten) looked like a different color version of mirai's pirates of the caribbean short program dress? i do love the JGP on youtube though. ^_^

ETA i realize that i sound mean. it's because i actually saw elegance in ashley cain's skate from her 1st JGP and was thinking, here's my chance to admire somebody who still cares about posture and refinement and such out-dated ideals in the age of COP, only to be appalled by this posture and stroking in the JGP Brasov long program. and it didn't even pay off in successful jumps!

seeing ashley like this is just sad. where did the elegant ashley of just a couple weeks ago disappear to? it must be so exhausting training both pairs and singles though, i apologize to any ashley cain fan who took offense.

i am fine with the USFS's policy of sending people based on nationals, i am one of those old fogeys who thinks it's more fair and transparent that way, since that's the only time all the contenders face off against each other judged by the same panel, so i wasn't expecting to see see keiser anyway. i understand that among juniors things change quickly and this maynot result in the best-shots-at-getting-medals getting slots. that is fine with me because i value transparency and fairness above # of medals collected (even if this means fewer JGP slots in the future).
    Last edited by skfan; 09-23-2011 at 03:48 PM.

Custom Title
    I did not understand why USFS chose to send Cain to this event rather than a deserving up-and-comer. Sorry, but Daniels didn't deserve a slot either, based on so-so performances over the summer----she was lucky to crack top 10.

In dance, the silver and bronze medals are up for grabs, as there is only a 1.91 point spread between 2nd and 6th.

take off the oven mitts
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckm View Post
    I did not understand why USFS chose to send Cain to this event rather than a deserving up-and-comer. Sorry, but Daniels didn't deserve a slot either, based on so-so performances over the summer----she was lucky to crack top 10.

In dance, the silver and bronze medals are up for grabs, as there is only a 1.91 point spread between 2nd and 6th.
    did the USFS get excited over Cain's PCS? then again someone on FSU said Cain only got this slot because Siraj turned it down.

Custom Title
    I haven't actually watched Cain's skates but let it be known that I really like Nishino and Fujisawa, particularly because they were former phenoms (in 2007 and 2008 respectively) who haven't been able to match their old success (and are painstakingly inconsistent), so I always cheer for them!

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by burntBREAD View Post

Oh my gosh. They (the team behind her) isn't even trying to hide it, are they? Even the costume looks like a knock-off!

Custom Title

Congrats to the Korean Skaters

A nice outing at Brasov. Hae-Jin Kim's Ladies' Bronze, and Dong-Won Lee's 5th place where the difference between places 3-6 was a tight race. DWL's FS had no edge calls or UR's, and only a single -1 GOE from a single judge, and if he'd tripled his loop as planned, probably would have had that Men's Bronze.
    Last edited by bigsisjiejie; 09-24-2011 at 10:53 AM.

Custom Title
    A lot of junior skaters take ideas from more recognized, senior skaters....it happens.

I really enjoyed the FDs of both Stepanova/Bukin and Bent/McKeen. S/B were fast and fluid and had some cool moves to different music, and the Canadians were very cute (though as of now lacking the power/coverage of S/B, which is understandable). I'd have them in second over the Ukrainians.
    Last edited by oleada; 09-24-2011 at 10:56 AM.

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    Does anyone know who coaches Bent/McKeen-

They are new to me, and their ISU bio is a complete blank.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by dorispulaski View Post
    Does anyone know who coaches Bent/McKeen-

They are new to me, and their ISU bio is a complete blank.
    My guess (totally based on nothing but her posture) is the Lane/Razguyalevs (sp?) camp.

Custom Title
    Yes, you are correct. Good guess.

Stepanova/Bukin are my new favourite Russian junior ice dance team. Speed, power, interesting choreoraphy, nice lines - what's not to like?

Is he related to the world champion ice dancer from the 1980s?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast