Kim's compassion enhances her legendary stature | Golden Skate

Kim's compassion enhances her legendary stature

parma

On the Ice
Yuna's philanthropy work dates back to 2006 (if I remember correctly) when she was still in the junior circuit and got her first sponsorship from a company. Since then, she made many marks in helping financially struggling young athletes and children in general not just in Korea but all over the world. She donated millions and eagerly used spotlights on her for good causes.

This weekend in the U.S. there was a celebrity wedding involving one of the Kardashian sisters. Apparently the cake cost thousands of dollars, there were three dresses (just for the bride, mind you), and being a reality show superstar, she and fiance sold the rights to broadcast and photograph the event for millions of dollars. She also debuted a clothing line just before the wedding, to make it even more profitable. Never once did I hear a peep about any donations or charitable causes. In fact, these unimaginably fortunate people actually had their gift requests registered at a high-toned store where coffee pots cost over $1,000. (Compare the British royal couple Will and Kate, who said, we have everything we need; instead of presents, please donate something to charity in our names.)

Therefore it's so refreshing to read about YuNa. She's young enough to be excused for being totally self-absorbed. She's more beautiful than any of the Kardashians. She's probably the richest woman in Korea. And yet, she's been generous with both her money and her time since she was about fifteen. I'm so glad I'm a skating fan.

L

lowtherlore

It’s nice to see she is making a good use of her stature and power. During an interview after her OGM, when asked what she wanted to be in the future, she said no matter what she would be doing and whether successful with it or not, she wanted to be a humble person. I hope she would remain the same humble and giving Yu-Na we know of.

I think it’s OK for successful people to be indulging and extravagant on occasions once in a while. Still, what Olympia said reminds me of an old episode. When she was a junior skater, she frequently updated her own mini-homepage. In that, she had a photo album, interactive visitor page, and some lists; usual teenage stuffs like her favorite songs, movies, actors and the things she liked. When a group of her fans chose an item and actually went on to send a gift to her, she deleted the wish list, overnight. :laugh:

Last edited: