Midori Ito -- First Woman to Land a Triple Axel | Golden Skate

Midori Ito -- First Woman to Land a Triple Axel

silverpond

On the Ice
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Midori_Ito

Here is a link to a lengthy "wiki" write-up on sensational Japanese figure skater Midori Ito, the 1989 World Champion, who was the first woman to land a triple axel in competition.:thumbsup:

Ito masterfully powered her trim 4'10" body into a history-making number of triple jumps. She was the first woman to land a 3/3 combination at the age of 12. While her artistry as a youngster was relatively weak, as were her compulsory school figures, her free skating was awesome and usually had the audiences standing and cheering. The was affectionately termed "the jumping flea" by the media and her fans.

The 'up close and personal' televised bio on Ito during the 1990 Worlds showed just hard this young woman worked to reach the top of the skating world. She was up at the crack of dawn to practice her school figures, went to school for a few hours, then returned to the rink for free skating practice, took dance lessons, napped, ate, and returned to the rink for late-night free skating practices. It was exhausting just to watch her schedule!

Midori was given the honor of lighting the Olympic cauldron at the 1998 Nagano games. She was dressed in a beautiful white ceremonial robe, while the music from "Madame Butterfly" filled the stadium.

How can anyone not be a fan of this splendid yet humble athlete? I have never heard a bad word about her, and her skating abilities were and are off the scale of possibility. Whatever harmony of physiology she has, it made her the most explosive jumper among women. There's an incredible YouTube video of her and Browning doing matching triple axels, and I mean matching--same height, and he's about nine inches taller than she and a guy besides. She falls on her landing, but her air height is about the same as his. Pheee-nomenal. Every sport should have someone as wonderful as Ito in its annals.

callalily

On the Ice
^ Yes, indeed.

I remember Kurt commenting on Midori's triple axel in a CBC broadcast back when they were competing - he was in awe of her amazing 3axel which seemed to clear the boards in height! She also expressed such joy on the ice (at least before pressure and injuries hampered her). It was a delight to watch her skate. Remember when she did her big 3lutz and landed right outside the rink (the boards had been taken down in the corner for the cameras) - then she jumped right back into the rink and kept going? Loved her.

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
How can anyone not be a fan of this splendid yet humble athlete? I have never heard a bad word about her, and her skating abilities were and are off the scale of possibility. Whatever harmony of physiology she has, it made her the most explosive jumper among women. There's an incredible YouTube video of her and Browning doing matching triple axels, and I mean matching--same height, and he's about nine inches taller than she and a guy besides. She falls on her landing, but her air height is about the same as his. Pheee-nomenal. Every sport should have someone as wonderful as Ito in its annals.

^ Yes, indeed.

I remember Kurt commenting on Midori's triple axel in a CBC broadcast back when they were competing - he was in awe of her amazing 3axel which seemed to clear the boards in height! She also expressed such joy on the ice (at least before pressure and injuries hampered her). It was a delight to watch her skate. Remember when she did her big 3lutz and landed right outside the rink (the boards had been taken down in the corner for the cameras) - then she jumped right back into the rink and kept going? Loved her.

Still do! :love:

silverpond

On the Ice
^ Yes, indeed.

Yes! That happened during the short program at the 1991 World Champioships. Midori gamely flipped right back on her skates and completed the program. Very sadly, she sustained back, shoulder and rib injuries - lots of sore muscles - and she could hardly skate (for her) in her long program. Midori finished out of the medals, in fourth place.

Midori has always been the epitome of charm and grace, such a sweet person, and she won the hearts of figure skating fans throughout the world with her wonderful skating.

Vash01

Medalist
I adored Midori Ito. She is one of the few skaters I never had a chance to see skate live. I heard that her smile used to light up the arena. The other day I was watching her LP from the 1996 Japanese nationals (after she reinstated). Her opening triple axel was awesome!