Is this move possible to do? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Is this move possible to do?

Sasha'sSpins

Medalist
Country
United-States
As demonstrated by these rhythmic gymnasts it is very possible. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LhoZL9ycG4k&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Love it! And moving 'forward' on the spin it seems rather than backward!! I counted three turns. They got their momentum from their arm movements. Perhaps some very flexible skater with terrific spinning skills will come along who can pull it off.

This one gymnast does an upside down Bielmann. It's crazy. Not sure if this could be sustained on skates.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ys6je5-JxU0&feature=player_detailpage#t=85s

Exquisite! Maybe not possible but who knows? Skaters are doing moves today that weren't done in earlier eras. Who knows what skaters will be capable of in the decades to come? :cool:

Last edited:
Rhythmic gymnastics is one of the great unsung sports. It's gorgeous, with such eerie control of the ribbons or other apparatus. I love that it's less life-threatening than so-called artistic gymnastics (the Nadia Comaneci variety). It's got such subtlety and beauty and simply wizard eye-hand coordination. The way they throw something up in the air, do a flip or two, and catch the thing while lying down is mind-boggling. Does anyone remember that lovely skating program that Katia did with ribbons?

They almost never show it on TV in this country, because we're never contenders. It's boffo in Bulgaria, though. And Russia, of course.

kwanatic

Check out my YT channel, Bare Ice!
Record Breaker
Exquisite! Maybe not possible but who knows? Skaters are doing moves today that weren't done in earlier eras. Who knows what skaters will be capable of in the decades to come? :cool:

Very true...but time doesn't change physics! :laugh::biggrin:

gkelly

Record Breaker
Whether the move is possible to do depends not just on the flexibility and skill of the skaters, but also the way the weight is balanced over the blades.

It might be possible that that move could be done on different blades that are designed for extreme spinning, but it might be that the blades that allow it don't also allow deep edges or triple jumps, so they wouldn't be used in standard competition programs.