Jeannette and Bonheur: Two Unheralded Figure Skaters | Golden Skate

Jeannette and Bonheur: Two Unheralded Figure Skaters

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
For me, these two skaters occupy a similarly transitory space in terms of French figure skating. Sandwiched between two stars (in the case of Jeannette, he was between Candeloro and Joubert; for Ponsero, Joubert and Amodio – I recognize the dates don’t work exactly, but go with it). Both can claim one GP medal and three world appearances; neither made it to the Olympics. It’s wierd – neither seem uniquely unheralded, but nor are they among the stars of the sport. So definitely ripe for exploration.

Before Buttercup mentioned Stanick Jeannette (one ‘n’ in his first name, two in his last, as Wikipedia keeps correcting me), I only knew of him by association – I knew he was a French figure skater and that he worked with Amodio at one point in his career. But I’d never seen a program of his. With Ponsero, I’d seen a few, but not a lot (despite my enjoyment of him at his best), so he seemed intriguing for further exploration. The downside is that the less big competitions you attend, the less likely there will be a lot of videos. Oh well – onward, explorers!

M. Jeannette

GP Final 2000/01, FS 2 (competing for fifth place with Timothy Goebel. The title is “Solo” but I cannot tell who composed it. The quality of the video is so bad (the colours are blasted out, which means it’s hard to differentiate between ice and costume/skater at times) that I can’t be remotely fair in terms of my thoughts, but it’s interesting to me to see just how interior a skater he was. Generally, the French are known for their flair and their voids, but this has an appealing simplicity that I like. He wasn’t on, unfortunately (he was a replacement for Todd Eldredge, according to the announcer). Anyway, curious for more.

Euros 2001, FS. He came in third with this performance. First thought: Ah, voids, that’s where you were. I’d love to get a cultural read on why some nations prefer the outré and unusual vs the classic in figure skating, but that would take us into a far deeper debate than I can handle at the moment. Let’s talk about that wierd transition into the spin! Whoa. Definitely creative (and interesting how strong the spin was afterwards. I doubt current skaters could do that, with all the difficulty built into COP-spinning now). The jumps were a little off that night. It’s an intriguing program, though, isn’t it? That odd footwork/transition sequence where he seems to be lecturing one of his legs is rather funny, actually. Not sure if that was the intended goal, though.

Worlds 2001, SP: Wierd. I don’t have that much of a response to this program. Liked the circular footwork, but I really have an aversion to men’s programs that do both the 3A and a 2A.

Euros 2003, FS: Holy triple axel Batman! I wish he’d hold those unusual spin positions a little longer. Okay, I like the snake bit without knowing it’s a snake bit – very elegant hand movements throughout. Let’s have some footwork in that footwork! The elements are gorgeously placed, though. The loop and the salchow in particular were just applause worthy. That was a really good program – love that the climactic spin that doesn’t actually end the program (as it does in most) but that a quiet gesture does (it provides a lovely grace note to that denouement).

M. Ponsero

2006/2007 SP, Worlds 2007
What a beautifully mature piece of music for a young skater. He started his senior career with his second greatest short, and ended it with his greatest.

2006-2008 LP, Worlds 2007
Okay, so I was watching this in reverse chronological order, so it’s interesting to watch how he clearly grew. Loved the placement of the salchow. The music is really overpowering in parts. A LOT of potential, though. He’s quite a musical skater. Also, stop talking PJ.

2007/08 SP, CoR
He’s one of the few skaters who’ll do a serpentine footwork sequence. So it sucks that he fell on it. But I prefer this program here to the SC version – he reverses the opening jump passes. He worked on his footwork in coming seasons, you can tell, but it’s well placed here. Love the crescendo. What a fall, though.

2008/09 SP, Worlds
Um, rather scary actually. Like horror movie/thriller scary. The mood he sets with the music and his opening moves is filled with tension. You notice how the audience really doesn’t applaud much throughout and I almost think that’s an appropriate reaction. He completely abrogates any easy emotional tones throughout, which makes it a very uneasy experience. That final spin is exceptionally placed, but even the way he negates the thrill with that final pose.... it’s an intriguing experience. I don’t revisit this program often (indeed, it pales next to the next two) but it feels very unique.

2008-2010 LP, at 2009 Euros
His finest moment? Maybe. His speed is really ridiculous. Clearly tiring by the end, but this chorography is awesome. Love the joy in the second footwork sequence, love the fight he demonstrates throughout (the sequence, the loop). Even his off moments have a bit of charm to them (the skid after the 2A). Man alive, that was great. Love the enthusiasm from the commentators.

2009/2010 SP, at Euros
The Olympic season had a huge numbers of great SP programs from the men. Lambiel, Kuzuka, Abbott, Amodio, Takakashi.... all amazing. None moreso than this raucous stomp of a flamenco from Ponsero. That straight line footwork is to die for. Mon Dieu, the speed he has heading into that quad-double is astonishing. I really wish he was more consistent – he’s one of the most talented skaters who’ll end his career podiumless, but .... sigh, what a program.

Buttercup

Record Breaker
So now we have two unheralded skaters threads, started within in hour of each other... I'll leave it to the OPs to decide if they should be united into a single thread or not, but since I'm (almost always) a fan of French skating, this is the thread for me.

I don't know much about Stanick Jeannette's early career (according to Wikipedia, his international debut was at the 1992 Lalique - that's a while back!) and why his breakthrough came so late, relatively speaking. Since I've never seen any program of his from the 1990s, I'll speculate that perhaps this gave him time to grow artistically and gain the confidence to try some pretty out-there stuff. I love how committed he is to the concepts of his programs and how he doesn't go for the obvious. The spins and spin entries are something to behold for sure. I don't know how much input he had into his choreography, but I'd like to think that at least some of the ideas came from him, especially later in his career. I would love to see him do more choreography for current skaters; the programs he did for Amodio are so much better than what Morozov gave Florent.

Yannick frustrated me greatly, because the talent was all there but the consistency, never. I remember when the FFSG had to pick a second skater for 2009 Worlds; Preaubert was the safe choice, Yannick the risky one but with more potential upside. Sadly, he couldn't live up to that glorious Euros LP from that same year, and the French men could not win that third slot for Vancouver - which IMO essentially ended any chance he had of gaining the FFSG's long-term support. Yannick's quad when it was on was to die for, and I am in full agreement about the step sequence in his 2009-10 SP. I believe he later decided to concentrate on his schooling (IIRC, he's completing a degree in physiotherapy) and since he is not on the entry list for the 2011 French Masters, I think it's safe to say that he is not going to return to competitive skating. A pity, for sure. As an aside, I wonder what kind of programs he'd have tried if he'd been under 6.0 and not the IJS.

When Brian Joubert was just starting out, the Eurosport commentators said something along the lines that all French skaters have some kind of creativity gene, except for Brian, whose style is almost American. Yannick is probably more conventional as French skaters go, while Stanick is very much in line with what one expects French skaters to be - maybe not the most technically polished, but always bringing something different and interesting to the ice.

jcoates

Medalist
Ha! This is very funny. Apparently Pogue and I were on a very similar wavelength at the same time. I was working on compiling my links for several hours so I completely missed the creation of this thread until after I had posted mine. Please feel free to merge them. The more content the better.

Cheers.

LeReveur

On the Ice
Interesting skaters. I never took to Alban Preaubert, but with the little I saw of Frederic Dambier (perhaps as little as a few programs in one season), I lumped him alongside Ponsero as two artistic Frenchmen of the last 4 years I enjoyed watching. Unlike many here (it seems), I also like Joubert, and Jeannette's stuff is intriguing. Does anyone know why Ponsero was left out of the Olympics despite his placements at French Nationals and Europeans? Was it politics getting back at him for his 2009 Worlds showing?

Buttercup

Record Breaker
Interesting skaters. I never took to Alban Preaubert, but with the little I saw of Frederic Dambier (perhaps as little as a few programs in one season), I lumped him alongside Ponsero as two artistic Frenchmen of the last 4 years I enjoyed watching. Unlike many here (it seems), I also like Joubert, and Jeannette's stuff is intriguing. Does anyone know why Ponsero was left out of the Olympics despite his placements at French Nationals and Europeans? Was it politics getting back at him for his 2009 Worlds showing?
France only had two slots. Joubert was obviously going to get one, and that was made official at some point in the fall season or even before, I can't recall. He was injured in late November and missed Nationals, leaving the other three to fight it out for the title and the second slot. After Amodio won, he was chosen for the Olympic team, as well as the Worlds assignment. Ponsero actually led after the SP, and I've no idea what would have happened if he'd won again. Anyway, Ponsero and Preaubert were assigned to Euros along with Joubert, not sure if it was a consolation prize or whether the FFSG just wanted to spread the assignments around. After the Olympics, either the federation or Joubert thought there should be a test skate before deciding who to send to Turin along with Amodio - Preaubert played along, Ponsero didn't, and of course Joubert was chosen in the end.

What's interesting is that they used Nats rather than Euros to decide; I suppose it had something to do with the aftermath of the Contesti/Dambier fiasco in 2006.

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
France only had two slots. Joubert was obviously going to get one, and that was made official at some point in the fall season or even before, I can't recall. He was injured in late November and missed Nationals, leaving the other three to fight it out for the title and the second slot. After Amodio won, he was chosen for the Olympic team, as well as the Worlds assignment. Ponsero actually led after the SP, and I've no idea what would have happened if he'd won again. Anyway, Ponsero and Preaubert were assigned to Euros along with Joubert, not sure if it was a consolation prize or whether the FFSG just wanted to spread the assignments around. After the Olympics, either the federation or Joubert thought there should be a test skate before deciding who to send to Turin along with Amodio - Preaubert played along, Ponsero didn't, and of course Joubert was chosen in the end.

What's interesting is that they used Nats rather than Euros to decide; I suppose it had something to do with the aftermath of the Contesti/Dambier fiasco in 2006.

Refresh my memory on the Contesti/Damiber fiasco. All I can remember is that it led Contesti to eventually switch countries.

Buttercup

Record Breaker
Refresh my memory on the Contesti/Damiber fiasco. All I can remember is that it led Contesti to eventually switch countries.
Well, you can read Contesti's side of it here. Some digging helped me find the ensuing discussion on the forum; this post indicates that it was a more complicated situation than Contesti getting screwed by his federation (there are other helpful posts from the same poster in that thread). Either way, with the 2002 selection process having apparently been, um, interesting*, and 2006 descending into legal machinations, I guess the FFSG wanted to keep things clear and simple for Vancouver.

* Joubert discussed it in his bio - something like, they decided to send the top three from Nats to Euros to fight it out, then figured that maybe that's not a good idea because Joubert (3rd place) was an unknown and Jeannette (who didn't medal) had more experience and results, but in the end they stuck with the top three for Euros anyway. Based on Euros results, they ended up sending Joubert and Dambier to SLC, while national champion Gabriel Monnier was the lowest finisher and stayed home, and Stanick of course got nothing. What I read was a translation of a translation, so very confusing. But related to this thread, as it involved Stanick!

gmyers

Record Breaker
I really liked Ponsero's "Ice" costume. Thought it was just clever and the best.