Synchronized Skating - an Olympic Sport? | Golden Skate

Synchronized Skating - an Olympic Sport?

silverpond

On the Ice
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Synchronized_skating

This topic may have been discussed umpteen times, and if so, please excuse me for introducing it yet again. What do you all think about having synchonized skating as a new sport in the Winter Olympics? IMHO, this is a team sport at its best! :thumbsup:

It takes so much practice, not to mention skill and determination to develop a group of skaters into a well-oiled "figure skating machine" and present imaginative programs.

This sport rarely gets televised, but when it is, I make it a point to tune in. The teams are truly excellent and skilled.

Synchronized skating is competed at the World Championship level, with the top teams coming from Sweden and Finland, and I think the time has come to welcome the sport into the Olympics.

silverpond

On the Ice
OK, pardon me for replying (again) to my own post. I would think synchonized figure skating could be a very popular sport. Synchronized swimming is a popular sport in the Summer Olympics, with the competitors looking so glamorus as they perform extremely difficult (!) moves under water. How these women manage to do their tricks underwater while holding their breath - well it takes my breath away! :biggrin:

Synchonized figure skating might extend the length of the Olympic Games, or at the very least make the figure skating competitions stacked up in a very compacted schedule. Practice time for the teams would require separate facilities or very creative scheduling, to say the least.

Olympic figure skating traditionally takes the form of:
(1) Pairs
(2) Men
(3) Dance
(4) Women

Not sure where the synchonized skating would fit in. Perhaps after the men, and before the dance.

Just a thought, Ladies and Gentlemen.

meem

On the Ice
I agree and would love to see in in the winter olympics. We don't get to see it on TV (at least I don't) but I remember watching Nancy Kerrigan's Halloween show on ice many years ago and was absolutely stunned when the Haydenettes started the show, flying across the ice in eerie costumes, incredibly not crashing into each other. It was exciting.

The problem that is usually brought up is the cost of sending so many people. I believe a full team has about 30 skaters, including alternates. I can see where housing so many more people at the Olympic facilities would be a strain.

It would be cool, though. I agree that synchronized swimming is a big plus at the summer Olympics, and so is team rhythmic gymnastics.

Yeah, one of the few times I saw it on TV, on ESPN or somesuch channel, it was mesmerizing. Like you, meem, I got to watch the Haydenettes. It's an amzing art form, even more spectacular (to my biased eyes) than synchronized swimming. Nicer costumes, too!

thumbyskates

Rinkside
A full team has 20 skaters with alternates (16 on ice plus up to 4 alternates which not all teams have). It was lowered from high numbers in the 1990s like you're thinking to try and include it in the Olympics.

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
os168, I think you are confused. Synchro is a team of 16-20 skaters, not a similar pair.

Ahh you are right.. ahah post deleted. Is it really a sport? It sound like some army routine.

Speaking of army routines, it would be neat to add the sport of "stepping" to the summer games. (Stepping is a kind of military inspired dance routine for men that is popular at historically black colleges in the United States.)

There is also the figure skating sport of "fours." Two pairs skating together, mostly in unison.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-0MWtY6Slw

Fours was contested at Canadian championships for many years. David Dore (ISU vice president for fgure skating) was part on the winning team in 1964. I believe that Rocky Marval was part of the team that won the last fours championship in the U.S. some time in the 1990s (but not with former partner Calla Urbanski, IIRC.)

KKonas

Medalist
Unlikely as not only cost of housing so many (Synchro teams) at a Winter Games but figure skating also has to share ice time with short track for training and competition so there is no "time" available at an ice surface unless an additional ice surface was added. The ISU is looking to trim costs not add to them.

mskater93

Record Breaker
Speaking of army routines, it would be neat to add the sport of "stepping" to the summer games. (Stepping is a kind of military inspired dance routine for men that is popular at historically black colleges in the United States.)

There is also the figure skating sport of "fours." Two pairs skating together, mostly in unison.

Fours was contested at Canadian championships for many years. David Dore (ISU vice president for fgure skating) was part on the winning team in 1964. I believe that Rocky Marval was part of the team that won the last fours championship in the U.S. some time in the 1990s (but not with former partner Calla Urbanski, IIRC.)

Fours also used to be contested at the North American Championships

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
I do wish Synch Skating would at least be televised. I think it would really gain popularity if the average person got to see it a few times a year. Same for Synch diving and rythmic gymnastics, which are olympics sports but are almost NEVER on TV other than ever four years.

How about this. In the new Olympic team event, besides each skater going separately they also have to prepare a routine with the whole team on the ice at the same time, like the opening and closing acts of professional shows.

silverpond

On the Ice
How about this. In the new Olympic team event, besides each skater going separately they also have to prepare a routine with the whole team on the ice at the same time, like the opening and closing acts of professional shows.

The first few years the World Professional Figure Skating Championships were held, the singles and pairs competitors had their own events, as well as team events. The "All Stars" were the pros from the 1960s and 1970s and the "Pro Stars" were the newly-minted pro skaters. They were great!!

I'd LOVE to see each country Olympic team compete AS A TEAM in such an event. Even if it was done as a non-medal event, it could be extremely enjoyable to watch. Perhaps each country could chose a native dance/piece of music and choreograph that.